Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans Am

BAD knock...even when warm *VIDEO*

Just tonight I discovered a really bad knock that seems like it is coming from the driver's side of my engine towards the back. Does it when car is warm or cold. You can really hear when the rpms are falling down after revving it a little bit. Sounds like it is coming from towards the top of the engine but I can't tell for sure. I'm not really sure what a bad lifter sounds like but just guessing this sounds like a worse knock. I'm about 99.9% sure its not an exhaust leak....plus its very loud and more mechanical sounding. Also Im pretty sure its not a bent pushrod just because its such a "heavy" knock. Also, oil pressure doesnt seem to fluctuate excessively or anything.

Heres a video to hear the sound. Theres not much to see cause its dark outside but you can really hear it. (Im holding the camera basically right above the driver head right in front of the cowl.

http://i154.photobucket.com/player.s...y/100_0189.flv

I'm very concerned that I'm looking at a bad engine knock or maybe something like a spun bearing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

hugger orange

just throwing out a guess or two.
    any chance something got in your bellhousing (flywheel rubbing something)
    flange gasket on your down pipe?

good luck man, i hate trying to chase noises like that

Black
    1999 Trans Am

almost sounds more isolated to the head (im hoping anyway)

also, its only on the driver side of the engine. I cant hear it at all on the left

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Sounds like a lifter from the video, but a lifter is more of tap than a knock. If its a bad knock like you say, its probably a spun bearing.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

any suggestions on diagnosing either???

More info from other thread:

yeah it is a tick noise but it almost seemed "heavier" if you know what I mean. No SES light.

Another thing, I went out this morning and it seems like it has quieted almost. Its not as prominent as it was last night. I listened to it from cold to running temp and now it seems it is more of a tick than a knock.

I attempted to long piece of alum curtain rod to see if I could pinpoint the noise like a stethoscope but the best I could do was determine the noise is coming from the back of the engine near the end of the header flange. Also, (trying to make sense of this but can't) I got the absolute most prominent tick when I would la the rod on either of the fuel rails.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I saw its a lifter gone bad.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Could THIS be my probelm?

hahah HUGE relief

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Before you do anything else, check to make sure that your plug wires are connected.

If one is off, it will knock like hell. If those are tight, swap out the plug wires for giggles to make sure that the plug wires are taken out of the equasion.

Hope that helps,

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Shit, didn't see the header bolt missing....lol. yeah, that's where the bleed air knock is coming from.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

not to mention the huge tear in the gasket

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    not to mention the huge tear in the gasket
    hope that's it. glad to see a quick cheap fix for once

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Yea rod knocks are constant they don't stop or even get quiet durring a rev. Lifters can knock at idel and go away with more RPM's and when the engine warms up. a truley BAD lifter is going to make a light knock compaired to a rod knocking. LOL I had a 85 Iroc that blew header gaskets just about every month. So was the bolt missing? if so where did it go? or why would it have backed out?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Yea rod knocks are constant they don't stop or even get quiet durring a rev. Lifters can knock at idel and go away with more RPM's and when the engine warms up. a truley BAD lifter is going to make a light knock compaired to a rod knocking. LOL I had a 85 Iroc that blew header gaskets just about every month. So was the bolt missing? if so where did it go? or why would it have backed out?
    dont know.....dont know....

I'm just gonna let it sit for now and give the shop a call that did the headers and see if theres anything they can do for me....afterall it was only like 3k...4k ago

hugger orange

dont know.....dont know....

I'm just gonna let it sit for now and give the shop a call that did the headers and see if theres anything they can do for me....afterall it was only like 3k...4k ago
    that looks to me like a paper gasket, if it is id replace both sides with OEM MLS gaskets. over 65,000 miles on mine, i pulled my manifolds and reused the originals on my header swap and still have no leaks

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    that looks to me like a paper gasket, if it is id replace both sides with OEM MLS gaskets. over 65,000 miles on mine, i pulled my manifolds and reused the originals on my header swap and still have no leaks
    I noticed that. I specifically told the shop to get OEM gaskets and these are what I find. I never really thought to look into it before this.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

BTW....anybody know tq specs for the valve cover bolts.....too lazy to look it up

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Those gaskets will do it, i never use gaskets that come with headers and make sure i dont give it to the mechanic who is installing them i go and buy the OEM ones and just give it to them with my headers. The ones they give you with the headers especially pacesetter is almost certain it will leak. Well glad you found your problem, your lucky its not bad and hopefully the shop will get you OEM ones this time and install them for you.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Already talked to the shop. He gave me the bolt for free but Im gonna have to hunt down gaskets myself. Do you know where I can find some OEM for cheam?? Dealer wants like $40 for both. Also, if I can just buy another paper one, will it hurt to just do the one side or should I do both at the same time? One more thing--anti-seize on the header bolts???

hugger orange

Already talked to the shop. He gave me the bolt for free but Im gonna have to hunt down gaskets myself. Do you know where I can find some OEM for cheam?? Dealer wants like $40 for both. Also, if I can just buy another paper one, will it hurt to just do the one side or should I do both at the same time? One more thing--anti-seize on the header bolts???
    yup anti-seize on the bolts
    that price for the gaskets sounds about right.....not cheap, but they last a very long time

black
    2002 firebird trans am

Just tonight I discovered a really bad knock that seems like it is coming from the driver's side of my engine towards the back. Does it when car is warm or cold. You can really hear when the rpms are falling down after revving it a little bit. Sounds like it is coming from towards the top of the engine but I can't tell for sure. I'm not really sure what a bad lifter sounds like but just guessing this sounds like a worse knock. I'm about 99.9% sure its not an exhaust leak....plus its very loud and more mechanical sounding. Also Im pretty sure its not a bent pushrod just because its such a "heavy" knock. Also, oil pressure doesnt seem to fluctuate excessively or anything.

Heres a video to hear the sound. Theres not much to see cause its dark outside but you can really hear it. (Im holding the camera basically right above the driver head right in front of the cowl.

http://i154.photobucket.com/player.s...y/100_0189.flv

I'm very concerned that I'm looking at a bad engine knock or maybe something like a spun bearing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    did you ever fix the problem??? my car has the exact same noise...im just curious before i do anything else to my car to find out the problem...let me know

Thread Information