Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Anyone have info on an ls6 swap with a 4l60e

Hey guys I'm really thinking about doing an ls6 swap on my car this summer and also maybe will throw a small stall in it but not 100% sure. Anyway I was looking for anyone who has done the swap and has some data from it. Ie trap speeds 1/4 times etc just trying to get a feel for the power itll have. Also how is driving the ls6 on the stock stall i know the ls6 produces a little less torque at low rpms than ls1 so just wondering.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Hey guys I'm really thinking about doing an ls6 swap on my car this summer and also maybe will throw a small stall in it but not 100% sure. Anyway I was looking for anyone who has done the swap and has some data from it. Ie trap speeds 1/4 times etc just trying to get a feel for the power itll have. Also how is driving the ls6 on the stock stall i know the ls6 produces a little less torque at low rpms than ls1 so just wondering.
    Why would you swap for an ls6? Don't you already have a ls1? Its very similar except for heads and cam.

white
    1999 Trans Am

if you are willing to spend the money for a swap you might as well just build a bad ass H/C/I, and or S/C ls1 with a beefed up tranny and a 3400+converter if you go with an auto.

I've seen this done a few times in front of the 4L60, makes a nice combo.

Someone here has done this as well, but their name escapes me. I think he had bolts ons and a Frost tune. The car was running mid 12's at 112+ mph with the LS6 crate. But that MPH tells me it's capable of low 12's.

It would run with the stock stall just fine, but a stall would wake it up for sure. Good mileage, drive like a stocker, acceptable performance, what's not to like?
    It's the direction I'll be going here shortly on my wifes car.

NBM
    99 TransAm

Just did it I am at work on my phone so ill send the link later or you can look it up. With a cam swap it made 383rwhp/348tq on a mustang Dyno. But as previously said if you swapped your cam and intake you'd be close with a little less compression.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

that's news to me...

i'm a M6... this is before the LS6 was broken in and before my headers... should have picked up another 15-20 hp from the breaking and headers combined...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BIG HOUSE View Post
    Just did it I am at work on my phone so ill send the link later or you can look it up. With a cam swap it made 383rwhp/348tq on a mustang Dyno. But as previously said if you swapped your cam and intake you'd be close with a little less compression.
    you did a LS6 crate swap or just LS6 cam??? if the numbers you posted are a LS6 crate with a cam swap they really are low...

NBM
    99 TransAm

2003 ls6 with a cam swap also its an auto and was on a mustang Dyno which I've been told are 11.8% lower than DynoJet

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BIG HOUSE View Post
    2003 ls6 with a cam swap also its an auto and was on a mustang Dyno which I've been told are 11.8% lower than DynoJet

i thought mine was done on a mustang dyno also... i'll have to give them a call and see...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

hope... it's a dynojet... i'll have to see if i can hop on a mustang dyno some where in my area...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

sorry guys i forgot about this thread. anyway the reason im doing an ls6 swap is im getting the shortblock for 500 bucks with 8000 miles on it and mine is already higher mileage so illl have maybe 1200 in the motor by the time im done completing it. if anyone can post up a combo that will dyno roughly 380hp with full bolt ons through an auto, be reliable as hell still drive like stock and get stock like mpg, please post it up lol! and to add a stall cam/heads would cost a small fortune and with it being a dd and gas prices being high its not something i necessarily want. but ya i would tend to agree 384/348 with a cammed ls6 is low even on a mustang dyno usually full bolt on ls6 motors on an m6 will make 400/400 which is about right seeing spaz's dyno graph and ive seen a full bolt on auto go 380 quite a few times. Frost if your around woould you mind posting up what youve seen bolt on ls6 motors with an auto dyno at? Spaz only reason i said they make a little less torque down low was because i was going off of gmpp website where it has both dyno graphs and it was showing the ls6 making less power till around 3500 which is where it took off compared to the ls1.
    Last edited by redbird555; 03-15-2011 at 10:45 AM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

sorry guys i forgot about this thread. anyway the reason im doing an ls6 swap is im getting the shortblock for 500 bucks with 8000 miles on it and mine is already higher mileage so illl have maybe 1200 in the motor by the time im done completing it. if anyone can post up a combo that will dyno roughly 380hp with full bolt ons through an auto, be reliable as hell still drive like stock and get stock like mpg, please post it up lol! and to add a stall cam/heads would cost a small fortune and with it being a dd and gas prices being high its not something i necessarily want. but ya i would tend to agree 384/348 with a cammed ls6 is low even on a mustang dyno usually full bolt on ls6 motors on an m6 will make 400/400 which is about right seeing spaz's dyno graph and ive seen a full bolt on auto go 380 quite a few times. Frost if your around woould you mind posting up what youve seen bolt on ls6 motors with an auto dyno at? Spaz only reason i said they make a little less torque down low was because i was going off of gmpp website where it has both dyno graphs and it was showing the ls6 making less power till around 3500 which is where it took off compared to the ls1.
    do you have the link available??? did they test it at the engine or through the drive train??? the massive torque was the first thing i noticed about my LS6...

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

I've been thinking of doing this swap as well. What would a set of p&p ls6 heads get you over stock ls6's

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ask and you shall receive
    lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    do you have the link available??? did they test it at the engine or through the drive train??? the massive torque was the first thing i noticed about my LS6...
    Ls6 engine dyno: http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...1268&engCat=ls
    ls1 engine dyno: http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...4322&engCat=ls

Quote Originally Posted by bpopham22 View Post
    I've been thinking of doing this swap as well. What would a set of p&p ls6 heads get you over stock ls6's
    On a stock ls6 cam? Not much maybe 10 on a good day, if you had a cam in it could be 20hp or more depends on the size of the cam, intake and quality of the port job.

Frost has reported before about this stuff.

He mentioned the SD LS6 crate motors on his dyno generally make around the 400 hp mark with the simple bolt ons done.

All those dyno's will be different however, so it doesn't really matter too much. What really matters is that these engines put a full weight 4th gen in the low low 12's easily if you can drive.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

not enough info there... did they calibrate the pcm for the different air and fuel changes for the LS6???

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Oh ok jones i ended up finding it shortly after i posted that, I know of a few people in m6's that trapped 118-119 with bolt ons in the 1/4 so if i could click off a 115 trap down here in fl at sea level id be happy. spaz those links were taken from here http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Pa...l.jsp?engine=2 if you just click on the engine it will give you the dyno sheet for that particular engine these arent swaps into the cars theyre the dyno sheet straight from gm so i'd imagine they had each engine tuned. all the engines on there seem to fit what other dynos say.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

eh... i dunno... you can see my dyno up above... the one thing is the TQ even if lower in the lower RPMs than a LS1 climb much faster... we also don't spend very much time in thoes low rpms...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

ya your dyno looks better than any ls1 even down low i wish i could find some dynos from other swps but i can seem to

I'd just swap it in there and find a dyno if you wish. Dyno your own car and see what ya get. No two are the same.

Thread Information