Any opinions on what went wrong?

I recently bought an '01 SS longblock. I got it from guy who is a tech at an Hyundai dealership. It came from his own car, and was warranteed out due to a supposed spun rod bearing. He said it was making a lower end noise, a light knock, so he pulled it. The alleged cause? A tear in the o-ring between the oil pickup tube and the block caused air to get into the oil/reduction of oil supply.

When I inspected it before buying, we pulled some (but not all) of the rod caps. It looked like there was crap in the oil, and some of it got into the rod bearings. There was also a little bit of gritty looking stuff here and there, in the nooks and crannies of the crankcase. But things looked better than I was expecting to see, so I bought it and took it home.

This weekend, I got it up to my Dad's shop and we tore into it. We pulled every rod cap, one at a time, and found no spun bearings. There was that gritty stuff inbedded in some of the bearings like I'd seen before, but the crank wasn't scored. This was a surprise, but I was worried that I'd find a spun main bearing. So we kept digging.

Long story short:
    -Pulled the mains, none spun.
    -Pulled the heads, and there were no damaged pistons, though they looked like they weren't running 'clean'.
    -All the bores still have easily visible cross-hatching.
    -Oil pump had none of the gritty stuff in it.
    -Head gaskets were intact.

So what gives? I looked around for signs of stuff rubbing where it shouldn't, foreign materials, etc... but I never found the source of the gritty stuff. We're not ever sure what kind of material it is, so Dad suggested we collect some of it up and at least see if it's magnetic.

Next question: what should I watch out for when we decide to put it back together? I know the headbolts are TTY. What about bottom end fasteners? Rod bolts? Where can I get a good guideline for torque specs and rebuild procedures? Anything else I should look out for? Thanks,

-Mike

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

i would wash every part with that solution and the brush on that blue bench thingy that spits out brownish hot water but cleans like hell, just to be safe

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

What did the thrust bearing look like? A failed thrust bearing is usually very easy to spot. They can not take the loads as connecting and main can. Check the surface of the crank where thrust bearing was.

Was the engine ever built before?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Did the knocking noise go away after the engine warmed up?

I didn't make note of anything odd on the thrust bearing, and it was supposedly original with 78k on it. I'm sure the thing had been run hard...I saw the guy at the track last night in the car that it came from. FWIW, the car was an auto.

Lethal, I never got to hear it run, though he never told me if the sound went away at any time.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I thought by some chance maybe it was piston slap but I think GM corrected that issue by 01 anyway.

no my 2002 has p slap

You know, I wouldn't doubt it. I mean, the guys car was super, super clean, so I can't really imagine him being the type who would be OK with something like that.

The fact that he's a tech, and his wife warrantied out the motor which he installed on the clock probably didn't hurt too much either. I think the guy got paid to take out an LS1 and put in an LS6.

Maybe pay to have some nondestructive testing done to check for cracks to give you peice of mind. Sounds like you got a good hook up.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

black
    2002 WS6

its very possible that he know something went wrong early and was able to shut it down before any major damage was done. Like other have said tear it right down clean it up, drop in new bearings (including the cam) seems you didn't check that. Any grit is bad.

Thread Information