Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Any intake and cam recomendations.

Hey all,
    Im looking to get a new intake and a cam. I was leanin toward a K&N intake, but Im not even sure where to start on a cam. Im lookin for something with a decent size lope, but still fine as an everyday driver. Also, is there anyone in the chicago land area that would be willing to install the cam?
    Thanks

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

youll need headers before a cam. as for intake, get a lid.
    there are some guys that will install a cam but its better to go to a shop that does that all the time.
    i live on the n/w side of chicago and speedinc has done 90% of the work on my car.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

I just finished installing my own. LS6 intake, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, and the cam is a TSP 228/228 588/588. on 112lsa. This is a awesome cam, great power, lope, and the car idles just fine with no tune, have appointment with TSP Tuesday for dyno tune. But all in all this cam has great driveability with great power, they also offer this same exact cam on 114lsa if the you dont like the lope. I got the Cam, valve springs, and pushrods for $550 from TSP. www.texas-speed.com. Also if you have A4 you will need tune ASAP, with and M6 you can go a couple of weeks.(crappy gas mileage though)

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Interesting, thats not a bad price. And I was planning on gettin it tuned wherever i get it installed, it just seems to make sense. Where is this speedinc located at. Ill give them a call.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by PIMP_2 View Post
    I just finished installing my own. LS6 intake, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, and the cam is a TSP 228/228 588/588. on 112lsa. This is a awesome cam, great power, lope, and the car idles just fine with no tune, have appointment with TSP Tuesday for dyno tune. But all in all this cam has great driveability with great power, they also offer this same exact cam on 114lsa if the you dont like the lope. I got the Cam, valve springs, and pushrods for $550 from TSP. www.texas-speed.com. Also if you have A4 you will need tune ASAP, with and M6 you can go a couple of weeks.(crappy gas mileage though)
    Do you live in Lubbock?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by DustfromyZ28 View Post
    Interesting, thats not a bad price. And I was planning on gettin it tuned wherever i get it installed, it just seems to make sense. Where is this speedinc located at. Ill give them a call.
    www.ls1speed.com

they are about the best at what they do.
    they were one of the first ls1 tuners.

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    Do you live in Lubbock?
    No I live in Amarillo bout an 1 1/2 hours away. YOU?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by PIMP_2 View Post
    No I live in Amarillo bout an 1 1/2 hours away. YOU?
    I'm in lubbock. I worked in amarillo last week though, and I'm from pampa, about 45 minutes from amarillo. I was just wondering since I haven't seen your car around, I thought you might be new to lubb or just new to the F-body. How much is TSP charging you? Somewhere in amar just got a dyno and is getting into tuning f-bodies, I can't recall where it was though.

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

I'm in lubbock. I worked in amarillo last week though, and I'm from pampa, about 45 minutes from amarillo. I was just wondering since I haven't seen your car around, I thought you might be new to lubb or just new to the F-body. How much is TSP charging you? Somewhere in amar just got a dyno and is getting into tuning f-bodies, I can't recall where it was though.
    TSP is charging $350 for a dyno tune or I think $200 for mail order but mail order I wouldnt recommend, I think the both of us live to close to get mail order. The place in Amarillo that got the dyno is called DreamChasers, but my buddy got a tune and dyno there three weeks ago and dyno'd 362 rwhp, then this last week he went to lubbock because he said he didnt think that was right, after there dyno tune 391rwhp and now he can use the a.c. The very first motor I seen them build was a chevy 383 stroker, on the first night at the track It made it to the 60ft. blew the intake through the hood scoop and caught fire, burned the whole freaking car to the ground right there on the track. That guy just payed $4700 for a motor and now has no car.
    So you can safely assume I will be taking mine to TSP.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

yeah that's right it was dreamchasers. I remember a few years ago when they every kids wet dream with ther huge hp claims, then they never showed anyone much worth owning. I support TSP too now that I know it was dreamchasers. In their defense, they got a mustang dyno and it should show lower numbers than a dynojet

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

here is video of car with 228 228 588 588 112lsa ls6 intak pacesetter LT and ORY on a stock tune, I was quite impressed with the idle on stock tune. This camera doesnt do the exhaust any good really alot louder.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

That sounds pretty damn good... I went to that tsp website, however for some reason i couldnt find that cam on there. You happen to know the part number and ill just search the part number? and what are your thoughts on hooker long tube headers... worth the extra money?

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

That sounds pretty damn good... I went to that tsp website, however for some reason i couldnt find that cam on there. You happen to know the part number and ill just search the part number? and what are your thoughts on hooker long tube headers... worth the extra money?
    Here is the link for the cam, they also call this cam a "228R" but order the cam package get cam, 918 springs, and hardened pushrods for $559
    https://texas-speed.com/shop/item.as...d=167&catid=44
    As for the hooker I would say there is no difference. Pacesetter is a very well know company with quality products. If you put pacesetters on your car then compare your car to anyone else with non-pacesetter headers and compare clearence. You will really like the fit with pacesetters. Also fit very true up to the head so no leaks.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thank you for that link. Im lookin at it, what lobe would you recomend. On the list it puts the 114 at a smooth lobe, and the 112 at a choppy lobe. However everyone who i have talked to prefers the 112 over the 114. Would you agree?

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

Thank you for that link. Im lookin at it, what lobe would you recomend. On the list it puts the 114 at a smooth lobe, and the 112 at a choppy lobe. However everyone who i have talked to prefers the 112 over the 114. Would you agree?
    yes def. would agree, I was nervous about it at first, but now I would not change a thing. My cam is on 112lsa and mine isn't all that choppy on a stock tune. I would get 112 and if it is to choppy just have them tune it out. Is your a A4 or M6, how many miles on car, what bolt-ons do you have, what rearend (stock)?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I'm getting an even bigger cam than that and getting a 112, I kinda want the mean cam sound though. I've heard that if you get that cam on a 114 the average joe won't even know you have a cam just by hearing it, and even on a 112 it won't be horrible at all after a tune. I agree on the pacesetters also.

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

I'm getting an even bigger cam than that and getting a 112, I kinda want the mean cam sound though. I've heard that if you get that cam on a 114 the average joe won't even know you have a cam just by hearing it, and even on a 112 it won't be horrible at all after a tune. I agree on the pacesetters also.
    But bigger cam means bigger valve springs. Anything above .600 they dont make a spring of stock diameter which means new seat, retainers, etc. Also with bigger cam need more on intake side lid, LS6 or LSx intake, MAF, throttle body. Have to be careful on camming a LS1 very easy to over cam. Let other mods help out too. Bolt-ons, and a big one re-gearing the rear end. I think a perfect gears setup is A4 3.42's and M6 3.73's IMO especially if it will be a daily driver. 4.10's will trash your gas mileage, they would be nice if you have a car that will turn 8,500 rpm though.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

heh, I know what I'm getting into. I picked the torquer V2. 230.237 .598 .598 112. Comp 918s will suffice and I'm already getting a stall. Overcamming an LS1 is easy? nah, the MS3 and MS4 are killers. I picked the tV2 because it still has a low powerband, I don't want to turn 7,000 to get the most out of my cam. Right now I'm just looking into an LS6 intake, but I'd like to get a fast eventually when I get heads, while I'm cam only the LS6 will do.

'99 Z28 It's got the BADASS mod
    IT'S FOR SALE here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70562

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Its an a4, however ive got the B&M shift kit for it, as soon as i get a free weekend im throwin that into it. As for bolt ons i have none yet. The cam is the start of the engine work for me. Im gettin a predator power programmer and tourque converter from my friend who smashed his z28 into a fire hydrant. As for miles, I just rolled it over to 70K and as for the rear end its whatever the stock rear end is on a 99 z28. Sorry im slow to reply stuck at work for hours upon hours.

Thread Information