Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

AFR heads...What size cam???

Hey guys. I want to do heads and cam on my 2000 ss. I have kooks long tubes with off-road y pipe, an ls6 intake and slp air lid and lm1 cat back.. I was looking at the AFR 205 heads but i dont really know what cam i should go with?? I want something that is streetable but yet have a good amount of power. I was also keeping nitrous as a option in the future. Thanks for your replies.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

vinci XXX cam would be my choice. also, is this car auto or manual?

http://vincihighperformance.com/CAMS...%20LS1%202.htm

thunder racing has the 224/227

http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...id=88&pcid=122
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

Call Comp! Ask them and they can make you a custom grind cam specifically for your application! They make 90% of the cams out there anyway for other companies, skip the middle man. Good luck

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

any cam will work with juice, some are just better than others.
    for good power and keep it streetable, 228/228
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I have an M6. I want something pretty aggressive. Steve over at Pitbull Performance (on long island) suggested that i get the magic stick 3 cam.

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cono38m5 View Post
    I have an M6. I want something pretty aggressive. Steve over at Pitbull Performance (on long island) suggested that i get the magic stick 3 cam.
    Well you better get some 4.10 gears and have them installed or all your friend are gonna start calling you Bucky.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

MS3 is awesome. Torquer V2 works well also with a lil better manners.

Pewter
    2002 Z28

Hey guys. I want to do heads and cam on my 2000 ss. I have kooks long tubes with off-road y pipe, an ls6 intake and slp air lid and lm1 cat back.. I was looking at the AFR 205 heads but i dont really know what cam i should go with?? I want something that is streetable but yet have a good amount of power. I was also keeping nitrous as a option in the future. Thanks for your replies.

Regardless of what anyone tells you, pretty much ALL cams are streetable. It all falls on the tune. Patrick G. well know in the ls1tech community and thunder racing, tunned my car. 231/234 .644/.598 on a 112 lsa. Makes 469rwhp and 455rwtq with TSP heads that were only $1300. His is a 370ci 508 rwhp car whose street manners are unbelievable. It sounds and handles like a stock car with a cat back. but hit 5k+ rpms and your flying. He has also tuned cars that run cam only and that cam has been the infamous Trex. so build it how you like, just make sure the tuner KNOWS what they are doing

Red
    98 Camaro SS

Call Tony Mamo at AFR. If your car will mostly see street duty he will probably recommend their 224/228 cam.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by Zoilus View Post
    Regardless of what anyone tells you, pretty much ALL cams are streetable. It all falls on the tune. Patrick G. well know in the ls1tech community and thunder racing, tunned my car. 231/234 .644/.598 on a 112 lsa. Makes 469rwhp and 455rwtq with TSP heads that were only $1300. His is a 370ci 508 rwhp car whose street manners are unbelievable. It sounds and handles like a stock car with a cat back. but hit 5k+ rpms and your flying. He has also tuned cars that run cam only and that cam has been the infamous Trex. so build it how you like, just make sure the tuner KNOWS what they are doing
    all cams are streetable, sure, but the manners of a bigger cam isnt what most people want on the street.
    one example, with a big ass cam, you have to spin that fucker up high to get full power out of it compared to a 228 which gives you streetable power because its a mid rpm cam

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Alright thanks for the info. I think i'm going to go with the magic stick 3. With the setup i have now my friend said i should be making close to 400rwhp with just the cam. So now i'm thinking that i just want to do a Cam for now and hold off on the heads. I also just bought a corsa catback, subframes, and some nitto 555's.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoilus
    Regardless of what anyone tells you, pretty much ALL cams are streetable. It all falls on the tune. Patrick G. well know in the ls1tech community and thunder racing, tunned my car. 231/234 .644/.598 on a 112 lsa....
    This is a false assumption. It heavily depends on the full specifications of the camshaft in question. 231/234 .644/.598 @ 112 LSA is not only pretty tame in comparison to what's out there now, but it only embellishes part of the story as to why Patrick was able to tune it properly for the street. Any cam with too much overlap in relation with it's duration and lift simply cannot be considered streetable, despite the ever varying opinions as to what "streetable" honestly means....

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Everyone's 'streetable' is different

2002 z28 camaro

what are the specs on this cam?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Call Cam Motion with ALL your specs.
    http://www.cammotion.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=93
    And do yourself a favor don't lie to them about the 25+ ?'s they ask. ANYTIME YOU BUY ANY CAM TALK TO THERE TECH PEOPLE OR PERSON AND TELL THEM YOUR COMPLETE SET-UP!
    Don't just go buy an off the shelf cam cause someone else recommended it.
    It need to be tailored after your application.........Car weight,trans.type,conv.,gear,tire dia,head flow @ what lift?,comp. ratio,deck height,car purpose,ex. size,nos,ect.

This is the only way you are going to insure you get what you want.And if not you can call them back and say look I told you exactly what I wanted....You sold some WAY too aggressive cam that loads up and the power band is not what I need or want!

That will also make sure that the cam is made to work with what your AFRs flow to get the most you can.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

RED
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by brians98ss View Post
    Call Tony Mamo at AFR. If your car will mostly see street duty he will probably recommend their 224/228 cam.
    Get the "Mamo recipe cam". It works great with those heads. normally 450rwhp and good tq. Totally streetable. Made for those heads. A TR224 also works great. That's what I have.

RED
    2000 Camaro SS

Alright thanks for the info. I think i'm going to go with the magic stick 3. With the setup i have now my friend said i should be making close to 400rwhp with just the cam. So now i'm thinking that i just want to do a Cam for now and hold off on the heads. I also just bought a corsa catback, subframes, and some nitto 555's.

Avoid that cam. Or any by Texas speed for that matter. They make shit TQ and the Hp is in the higher rpm's. I also believe the pistons need fly cutting with AFR's and a Magic Stick.

Pewter
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    This is a false assumption. It heavily depends on the full specifications of the camshaft in question. 231/234 .644/.598 @ 112 LSA is not only pretty tame in comparison to what's out there now, but it only embellishes part of the story as to why Patrick was able to tune it properly for the street. Any cam with too much overlap in relation with it's duration and lift simply cannot be considered streetable, despite the ever varying opinions as to what "streetable" honestly means....
    I see your "false assumption" and raise you a justification card.....

Everything I wrote was taking into consideration the obvious, that the cam was going into a stock cubed LS1. MS4, T-rex, Torquer 3 and such cams that are similar, are about as far as you would want or should go on a 346, if not very close. Sure there are wilder cams than mine but we are talking stock cubed and that the cam was made properly and that the right one is going into the proper application. A 250/252 + cam would not go in a 346, that of course would not be driveable. If I would replace my cam with one of those other well known bigger ones I doubt I would even see anything beyond a 10rwhp gain. Other wise breaking the 480rwhp n/a barrier would be a cinch and its not. Now maybe you are talking about noise, vibration and such... in that case yeah mine is tame. But in performance it's not far off from the "bigger" cams. And Pat G's car has a 238/242 .609/??? (if I remember) on a 112 which is super tamed.....but puts down 508.

On a stocked cubed LS1's I have seen every single big popuplar cam installed, and they have been terrible at times when the tune was not done correctly, and when done properly, they are rowdy but super driveable. Now getting into 427+ ci's engines with 250/254 + cams....that is a different story and should not be compare to THIS particular situation. And of course streetable is totally a matter of opionion, but as with all matters of opinion, it is defined as the general popular common consensus point. Which means what ever the majority of the people say is streetable, that point would be it.
    Last edited by Zoilus; 10-21-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Pewter
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by davered00ss View Post
    Avoid that cam. Or any by Texas speed for that matter. They make shit TQ and the Hp is in the higher rpm's. I also believe the pistons need fly cutting with AFR's and a Magic Stick.
    Actually any big cam with those kinds of numbers will pretty much always make the HP at high rpms and yes the low end TQ is not that great, but at 6 and 7k?? That's a different story! This has absolutely nothing to do with TSP. They have an outstanding reputation in the LS1 community for many reasons. And someone correct me if I am wrong but "their" cams are actually Comp Cams with a grind to TSP's specifications.

G5X3 cam for that LS1 motor...

Thread Information