Thread: 98/99 Ls1

Gold
    69 Camaro

98/99 Ls1

Just wondering what the problem is with the 98/99 LS1? I have heard that it has oiling problems? Can anyone tell me if there are any problems with these years?

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

98 was the biggest problem... yes in higher rpm ranges there was a slight oil problem in most... not a huge deal... computers are TOTALLY different... as in garbage... its hard to even get someone to tune them because it has to have a diff. system... terrible heads... 99-00 comps were better IMO these are the best years, granted no ls6 intake but they have a bigger cam stock then the 01-02... probably be modding though so i would go w/ an 01... but its whatever... i have a 99 long block... 30,000 miles... came out of a TA... for sell if interested pm... or any more ?'s

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    98 was the biggest problem... yes in higher rpm ranges there was a slight oil problem in most... not a huge deal... computers are TOTALLY different... as in garbage... its hard to even get someone to tune them because it has to have a diff. system... terrible heads... 99-00 comps were better IMO these are the best years, granted no ls6 intake but they have a bigger cam stock then the 01-02... probably be modding though so i would go w/ an 01... but its whatever... i have a 99 long block... 30,000 miles... came out of a TA... for sell if interested pm... or any more ?'s
    What the hell??

Slight oiling problem?? There was no problem, they just happened to improve the oiling system in the later models.

Computers aren't "garbage", they work just as well as any other year, they are just more difficult to tune than 99-02 cars.

Terrible heads?? They had different castings, which apparently weren't as smooth as later castings. Hardly noticeable though, even on the dyno. Not really something to take into account, its very trivial.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

there's really nothing wrong with the 98's and 99's. Just some improvements were made in the later motors. The oiling system was improved and windows were put in the mains. Actually, if I were in the market for one I'd look at the 01's and 02's. What the 98's do have going for them are gauges that actually function and 28# injectors instead of the 26er's.

grey
    2001 silverado

what exactly causes 99 motors to consume more oil? i have a 99 and it drinks a lil over 1/2 quart every 15oo miles.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Also Rod bolts where weaker so they are more prone to spinning rod bearing due to bolt stretch. I believe they used different bolts in the late part of 1999 and 00-02. My buddy Viper99 lost his engine due to the oiling issue. So I would not say it is trivial.
    Last edited by Killer_bluebird; 09-13-2007 at 02:03 AM.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

i think lemonz is a ricer in disguise

Gold
    69 Camaro

So if I could get a 1998 LS1 with less than 40k on it, what should I do before I install it into my car?

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

hmmmm

nice 35th with comments such as that you sound like the ricer... trying to get someone to flame???? how about you at least try to post something up and help the guy out.... instead of.... i think so and so is a ricer.... tell him about something since you are so almighty....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I would recommend rod bolts and a new oil pump (preferably ported).

Gold
    69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    I would recommend rod bolts and a new oil pump (preferably ported).
    Are the rod bolts that bad on a 98? Should I install new rod bearings as well? If I keep going, I should freshen it up as well? Just basically what needs to be done while the engine is out? I want a dependable motor that I can juice every once and a while. Also, where would I get the parts?

Thanks

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

im sorry lemonz..didnt know ricer was a bad thing ...forgive me?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 69-Camaro View Post
    Are the rod bolts that bad on a 98?
    If you are running the stock camshaft+boltons and not spining the enginge past 6200rpms then NO. However If you are putting over 400rwhp and spining the engine higher than 6200rpms it is cheap insurance. Putting new rod bolts is easy with the engine out. Get some ARP or Katech ones. As far as bearings it depends on the millage of the engine if the engine had over 100,000 miles I would say yes but since it only has 30,000 miles I would say you are fine.

The oiling issues seem to be a hit or miss. Spun bearing can ocurr due to oil starvation or rod bolt stretch so when it happens it is hard to say which is at fault. That is the reason I recomended both so you should not have to worry about either. Other than that 1998 engines are as good as 99+ engines.

Gold
    69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    If you are running the stock camshaft+boltons and not spining the enginge past 6200rpms then NO. However If you are putting over 400rwhp and spining the engine higher than 6200rpms it is cheap insurance. Putting new rod bolts is easy with the engine out. Get some ARP or Katech ones. As far as bearings it depends on the millage of the engine if the engine had over 100,000 miles I would say yes but since it only has 30,000 miles I would say you are fine.

The oiling issues seem to be a hit or miss. Spun bearing can ocurr due to oil starvation or rod bolt stretch so when it happens it is hard to say which is at fault. That is the reason I recomended both so you should not have to worry about either. Other than that 1998 engines are as good as 99+ engines.
    I am no expert but if you install new rod bolts wouldn't that oblong the bearing causing premature wear? Would you not have to do the complete bottom end and install new bearings and rod bolts?

What if I just went with the motor the way it is? These motor will go 100,000k easy? Correct? I just want a daily driver that would probably never see over 5500 rpms.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I am no expert but if you install new rod bolts wouldn't that oblong the bearing causing premature wear? Would you not have to do the complete bottom end and install new bearings and rod bolts?
    I do not believe so as long as you loosen one bolt at a time. Here is a pretty good writeup.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...d+bolt+install

What if I just went with the motor the way it is? These motor will go 100,000k easy? Correct? I just want a daily driver that would probably never see over 5500 rpms.
    If you are are just daily driving it I don't see why not. If you occasionally race it on the street or then those things help keep things from going south. Not that there is ever a guarantee.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

i have a 98 no prob, 111k on it and still run a 13.0 spinning 1st and 2nd on street tires.

no probs i love my ls1.
    1998 Z28 M6
    K&N | NGK TR-55's | Hedman LT headers | 3in true duals to 3.5in x pipe then 3.5in pipes to 2 spintech mufflers dumped at rear axel with turndowns| LS1 motorsports lid | !EGR |!AIR l
    13.08@110.99 spinning 1st and 2nd

building.
    iron lq9/l92 408

Thread Information