Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Angry 74,000 miles 2001 z28, stick, 1 owner

[IMG](img)http://1140photobucket.com[/IMG]dicksidulous/image0461.jpg(/img0[/IMG]How could at this low mileage already have a slight engine pan gasket seepage?
    Bolts aint loose!
    I mean aren't these engines built good?
    Thought ls-1 engines are the best?
    Is a smal amount a seepage at thi mileage normal?
    I,m monitoring now exactly how much usage may occur between oil changes!
    If any of you got any thoughts on this id apreciate hearing it.
    i felt 74,000 miles is like new?
    thanx
    Last edited by denegrader; 04-22-2011 at 01:10 PM.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    How could at this low mileage already have a slight engine pan gasket seepage?
    Bolts aint loose!
    I mean aren't these engines built good?
    Thought ls-1 engines are the best?
    Is a smal amount a seepage at thi mileage normal?
    I,m monitoring now exactly how much usage may occur between oil changes!
    If any of you got any thoughts on this id apreciate hearing it.
    i felt 74,000 miles is like new?
    thanx
    a little wetness on the bottom of the pan is fine its when it gets to be more then a small amout when it needs to be fixed and mine has been like that since i got it with 68000 and the original owner babbied the car

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Can you visibly see a leak from the oil pan. If not, IMO you are more than likely...

a.) getting fluid collecting at the bottom from a leak somewhere else, and maybe not even oil [power steering fluid in my case]

b.) someone did a messy oil change, and the wind spread all the old oil about the oil pan.

c.) gonna have to clean it and observe more closely, as well as oil levels.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

^^^+1

Could also be the R&P leaking like mine. It can pool on the K member and while you drive it sprays the whole oil pan making it look like it's leaking from there. A good cleaning can help you try to locate it.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    ^^^+1

Could also be the R&P leaking like mine. It can pool on the K member and while you drive it sprays the whole oil pan making it look like it's leaking from there. A good cleaning can help you try to locate it.
    R @ P ??
    Well a mech said it 's the oil pan and the timing cover yeah i'm thinkin just to make a ton a money off of labor from me .
    well i jacked it up wiped it and i tightened the pan bolts actualy they werent looose , and he the mech actualy had already changed the valve cover gaskets supposedly, well their blue and look new and maybe thats what was leaking and its just reside still dropping .
    ill have to jack it wipe it monitor it.
    i also added 1 qt of oil maybe used 1/2 qt in 250 miles.
    just 5 small drops will show after it sits 15 minutes.
    ill be monitoring,
    wats normal useage for these??
    and well ill monitor it.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

1/2 a quart in 250 miles???? I usually don't have to do anything for AT LEAST 1000, usually 2000. And my car has 203k miles. Either your estimation is off, or you really do have a problem somewhere...

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

My car sit over the winter and when i pulled it out of the garage i seen a 1 inch diameter oil spot. I have not had time to check it out but when i do i will post it here. Good luck

blue
    1999 TransAm

one major leak source is the oil pressure sending unit (OPSU), which is at the back of the engine.. i just had a bunch of crap replaced on mine (valve cover gaskets, OPSU, rear main seal, intake gaskets, valley cover gaskets, PCV all new), ..i'll be damned if it's still dripping down from somewhere.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    one major leak source is the oil pressure sending unit (OPSU), which is at the back of the engine.. i just had a bunch of crap replaced on mine (valve cover gaskets, OPSU, rear main seal, intake gaskets, valley cover gaskets, PCV all new), ..i'll be damned if it's still dripping down from somewhere.
    well this clown mech's saying its a pan gasket and a timing cover gasket, not sure as i dont know these cars and they got to be hardest car to work on, i used to do my own work on my 5.0 but these, wat is it cause their aluminum? cause there loaded with more crap in the engine bay?
    maybe cause the engines under the front widshield? maybe cause the cats are squeezed between the frame and engine? maybe cause it so low and hard to jack up and get under there.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

well this clown mech's saying its a pan gasket and a timing cover gasket, not sure as i dont know these cars and they got to be hardest car to work on, i used to do my own work on my 5.0 but these, wat is it cause their aluminum? cause there loaded with more crap in the engine bay?
    maybe cause the engines under the front widshield? maybe cause the cats are squeezed between the frame and engine? maybe cause it so low and hard to jack up and get under there.
    where at the back is the opsu ?
    thanx

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Angry

its what i get for buying something i dont know about and from a stranger craigslist

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

its what i get for buying something i dont know about and from a stranger craigslist
    Remember that you're dealing with a car thats over 10 years old...its not uncommon to have a small gasket leak.

Navy Blue Metallic

R @ P ??
    Well a mech said it 's the oil pan and the timing cover yeah i'm thinkin just to make a ton a money off of labor from me .
    well i jacked it up wiped it and i tightened the pan bolts actualy they werent looose , and he the mech actualy had already changed the valve cover gaskets supposedly, well their blue and look new and maybe thats what was leaking and its just reside still dropping .
    ill have to jack it wipe it monitor it.
    i also added 1 qt of oil maybe used 1/2 qt in 250 miles.
    just 5 small drops will show after it sits 15 minutes.
    ill be monitoring,
    wats normal useage for these??
    and well ill monitor it.

R&P = rack and pinon. That oil consumption is way too high

And some "mechanics*" will tell you anything to get your money.

* - I quoted mechanics because there are some really bad ones out there that claim to be one and really have no business handling a wrench let alone working on a car. Not all are bad or crooked. no offense meant towards the honest ppl

Could you take a pic of underneath and your engine bay where you see the leaks? It will help a lot!!
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 04-21-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

where at the back is the opsu ?
    thanx

Not saying this post will fix your problems but it is to answer your questions about the OPSU and also give other areas that could be what your having problems with.

The OPSU is the tall plastic piece that is sticking up with the green cap.

These can get brittle and break over time. Also when you are messing with the intake most first timers break it because they don't know it's there. These can leak quite a bit of oil. Signs of this are oil coming down the backside of the engine over the bell housing. It is commonly mistaken for a rear main seal leak.

Another area that can cause oil/vacuum leaks is the PCV. IMHO GM screwed the pooch (<us) by using this is a POS PCV system. And on top of it over price ($85-$140 depending on where you get it) for when you need to replace it. This runs from the rear of the drivers side valve cover behind the intake where it splits, one tube goes to the passenger valve cover the other comes along the passenger side of the intake into the PCV valve then into your intake. In the pics below you can see where it cracks and leaks.

or you can do this

LS6 VCT (Valley Cover tray mod) with a catch can. Some like it some don't. This is not a performance mod buy it does help get the oil out of the intake. It deletes the PCV tubing and puts the PCV under the VCT and moves the outlet port to the front of the engine underneath the TB. This mod cost about $58-$75 for the VCT. The catch can goes for $50-$220 depending on what you want.

catch can

i used to do my own work on my 5.0
    If you used to own a 5.0 Mustang, then you should be intimately familiar with oil leaks. Those things leaked of the assembly line. Don't complain about your 10 year old Chevy.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    a little wetness on the bottom of the pan is fine its when it gets to be more then a small amout when it needs to be fixed and mine has been like that since i got it with 68000 and the original owner babbied the car
    ok so these ls-1's leak cause their all aluminum and aluminum expands unlike cast iron?
    maybe thats reason oil residues drops are normal for these ls-1's
    anyone know anything about this??

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

alright thanx for the great pics and help
    i took pics and ill try to put em on somehow aint did that yet.
    it looks like front of pan and timing cover are dry and tranny is not wet and maybe this leak that i thought was so big may actualy be just a little seepage from the expansion of the all aluminum ls-1 engine
    i saw the pcv hidden there and could not even see the o.p.s.u.
    w/the few drops and small wetness on the bottom left side of pan just a 4 inch 1 inch wide small patch

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Not saying this post will fix your problems but it is to answer your questions about the OPSU and also give other areas that could be what your having problems with.

The OPSU is the tall plastic piece that is sticking up with the green cap.

Click for full size

These can get brittle and break over time. Also when you are messing with the intake most first timers break it because they don't know it's there. These can leak quite a bit of oil. Signs of this are oil coming down the backside of the engine over the bell housing. It is commonly mistaken for a rear main seal leak.

Another area that can cause oil/vacuum leaks is the PCV. IMHO GM screwed the pooch (<us) by using this is a POS PCV system. And on top of it over price ($85-$140 depending on where you get it) for when you need to replace it. This runs from the rear of the drivers side valve cover behind the intake where it splits, one tube goes to the passenger valve cover the other comes along the passenger side of the intake into the PCV valve then into your intake. In the pics below you can see where it cracks and leaks.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

or you can do this

LS6 VCT (Valley Cover tray mod) with a catch can. Some like it some don't. This is not a performance mod buy it does help get the oil out of the intake. It deletes the PCV tubing and puts the PCV under the VCT and moves the outlet port to the front of the engine underneath the TB. This mod cost about $58-$75 for the VCT. The catch can goes for $50-$220 depending on what you want.

Click for full size

catch can
    Click for full size

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    If you used to own a 5.0 Mustang, then you should be intimately familiar with oil leaks. Those things leaked of the assembly line. Don't complain about your 10 year old Chevy.
    aint starting a ford versus chevy thing here fact is i have used 1 qt of oil was every 800 miles now its about 1qt every 400 miles leaked outta valve cover gaskets tightened em in 1/2 hour no more leaks there in the 5.0 since 107,000 miles
    both got positives and negatives well with 240,000 miles on the 5.0 now engine never had heads opened still runs like a bat outta hell all stock.still daily driver was till recent ly purchased this z
    to me beuatiful car the z hard to work ,on compared to the 5.0
    z great handling, give something get something, oh 5.0 hard to say where oil is cause not much on ground always passed smog still moves anyways,
    the leak on the z doesnt seem as bad as i first thought.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Remember that you're dealing with a car thats over 10 years old...its not uncommon to have a small gasket leak.
    Dont ya feel the aluminum ls-1 is prone to oil seepage cause the expansion of aluminum over cast iron?

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    1/2 a quart in 250 miles???? I usually don't have to do anything for AT LEAST 1000, usually 2000. And my car has 203k miles. Either your estimation is off, or you really do have a problem somewhere...
    looks more like estimate is off!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information