• built something else

27 87.10%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 500 rwhp

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

500 rwhp

500 rear wheel horsepower is the goal.my ls1 is at 193,000 right now and the future plan is for a new engine.i plan on a stage 2 performabuilt trans with 3200 stall and a 12 bolt rear axle to be installed by this time next year and then start on the engine.i was thinking about a ls6 longblock since my car has the ls6 intake from the factory and it probably would be the least expensive route since all i have to do is swap over the accesories but i would like some suggestions from those of you who went another route.my mods are in my sig.thanks
    2007 Corvette...stock...

hugger orange

1st I'd say go with a 3,600-4,000 stall......but that would depend on what cam you decide to go with.
    you have a few options you could go with, but you'd have to pick and build to plans from the start. I'd look at 402/408 iron stroker, or forced induction. look around on here and ask, lots of people have gone both routes and can give you prices and tech tips.
    but in my personal opinion I'd build without the ls6, your money could be spent in better places

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Even with a very stout 402/408 is going to be tough to hit 500RWHP through a stall and automatic.

Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Even with a very stout 402/408 is going to be tough to hit 500RWHP through a stall and automatic.
    very true
    408 and N2O

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Personally I say screw the dyno number goal.

Set an ET goal. 10's with a 402/408 matched to the right stall shouldn't be a problem. As long as the motor is built for N/A.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

car is driver,i'd be happy with mid to low 12's.thanks for the input!

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

Mid to low 12's , freshen up your motor with a small bore and do a good heads cam intake set up, That should get you in the 11's nicely.

Black
    2002 SS

You can probably get the LS6 with a warranty and meet your goal

You don't even need a cam to do that. You can take a stock LS1, and with the right stall, some headers and sticky tires will get you high 12's.
    You can do a mild camshaft that is still plenty streetable and hit low 12's to high 11's easily.

If you need to start with a fresh motor, I like Jambofla's suggestion since your ET goal is so mild.
    A crate LS6 motor with a nice converter, some headers, maybe a mild rear gear, and you'll see mid to low 12's. Stab a mild camshaft in it before you drop it in while you're at it and go faster.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

long tube headers are already in,i would like a fresh engine and since this car see a LOT of interstate use the rear gear/torque converter has to be fairly mild,premium gas is just too damn expensive.i would be happy with sub 12.30's in the quarter.

Well at some point there is going to be a trade off with your HP goals and gas mileage. They generally don't coincide very well.
    The car probably already has a 3:23 gear, and if you want to stay really mild on the converter then the camshaft will have to stay mild as well. Keep in mind the converter will still lockup and give same mpg cruising, just around town driving is affected a bit.

Honestly though if this a a daily driver, and gas mileage is of most concern, I'd probably leave the car alone and just buy something else to tinker with for a weekend toy.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well at some point there is going to be a trade off with your HP goals and gas mileage. They generally don't coincide very well.
    The car probably already has a 3:23 gear, and if you want to stay really mild on the converter then the camshaft will have to stay mild as well. Keep in mind the converter will still lockup and give same mpg cruising, just around town driving is affected a bit.

Honestly though if this a a daily driver, and gas mileage is of most concern, I'd probably leave the car alone and just buy something else to tinker with for a weekend toy.

both speak the truth...500rwhp is no easy feat for a 346 NA...especially a stalled auto...stalls will distort your peak numbers..but the power gained under the curve is as much as 50rwhp in some cases...

also your goal of low 12s do not match your wanted power level ...450ish to the floor with the right cam (not overcammed) and the right suspension will net you 11s....and as always gas mileage will suffer..but if you go 346 and pick the right cam with the right IVC and EVO events and timing you will be able to push big numbers and lower ETs with a smaller cam.

So in short..go ls6 and get a mild cam and a 3600+ stall and you will be happy....rwhp is only a number

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    long tube headers are already in,i would like a fresh engine and since this car see a LOT of interstate use the rear gear/torque converter has to be fairly mild,premium gas is just too damn expensive.i would be happy with sub 12.30's in the quarter.
    A good forged 346 with a cam/stall will put you right where you wanna be et wise. Heck with properly matched stall, longtubes, lid, and some tuning you can reach mid to low 12's with a stock LS1 that has decent traction...

I voted to build something else that is forged so you have room to grow if you decide to. A stock LS6 longblock will only last so long with the cast pistons...
    Last edited by Packy; 06-09-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    A stock LS6 longblock will only last so long with the cast pistons...
    It would go another 190,000 miles if you don't throw power adders at it. This motor alone with a stall and some tires would run 12's easily and meet his goal and still drive and idle like a stocker. Stick a small cam in it later if you want to go faster and still have dependability.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

It would go another 190,000 miles if you don't throw power adders at it. This motor alone with a stall and some tires would run 12's easily and meet his goal and still drive and idle like a stocker. Stick a small cam in it later if you want to go faster and still have dependability.
    Yep, but if he wants a power adder later it will be nice have forged internals. I am just speaking from my experiences. I once thought that 12's would be good enough too. Besides forged shortblocks these days don't go for too much.

Yep, but if he wants a power adder later it will be nice have forged internals. I am just speaking from my experiences. I once thought that 12's would be good enough too. Besides forged shortblocks these days don't go for too much.
    It's never good enough is it??

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

It's never good enough is it??
    Unfortunately nope but then it would be no fun if we didn't keep tinkering and adding on...

Unfortunately nope but then it would be no fun if we didn't keep tinkering and adding on...
    Keeps us young,,,and the wife always knows where I'm at.

Shucks it was that type of thinking that kept me busy for the last 10 years working on other peoples cars. So I'm not complaining.

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

414 LS2

But honestly with a stock LS2 with the right H/C combo you can get 500WHP.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Stone Srt-4 View Post
    414 LS2

But honestly with a stock LS2 with the right H/C combo you can get 500WHP.
    A set of 2500 dollar heads, a strung out cam, e water pump, under drive pullies, No stall/automatic, FAST 92/92, maybe/probably needed to be ported, a strung out cam again and a GREAT tune for any DDing.

OP is trying to hit 500 RWHP but only wants mid 12's. Something is wrong with the main goal here.

Hell, there are many 402/408's that cant reach there magical 500 RWHP dino number through a slush box, big stall, and a 9". Not to mention 550 rwhp or 600 rwhp out of those 402/8's.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information