Thread: 5.7 or 6.0

00camaross

Question 5.7 or 6.0

I own a 00 Camaro SS and i recently bought a 2000 2500HD (to pull the car to and from the track) i am wanting to do an stroker engine for my camaro and some of the ppl i run around with are saying to pull the engine out of the trk and stroke it to a 402 and put the ls1 in my truck. im planing to run afr heads and a custom grind cam. hoping to get 500hp+ and run a 250shot for add insurance. the truck engine has 160000mile+ and the ls1 is just shy of 35000. let me know what you guys think.
    thanks
    Trevor

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I wouldn't recommend that swap unless you want a real slug of a tow vehicle. Sure a 402 stroker will make your Camaro fast, but are you willing to trade off a loss of performance from your truck?

You should be able to make 500 hp from AFR heads, cam, and bolt-ons with just 346 cubes. If it turns out that's not enough, you can always put that top end on a stout 402 short block.

Just my $.02

Hammer

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Keep them the way they are.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

00camaross
    Would the 5.7 really have that big of a power loss ever though it makes more tq and hp at 2000rpm then the 6.0? the only place the 6.0 makes more tq is at 1200rpm and with an auto i hardly see these engine speeds? am i better off to buy something like SLP's 402 stroker engine then to buy the kit and do it myself i would like to hear some more info about this thanks again

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Don't know about SLP's 402, some say to avoid their stuff, but I've had good luck with the few parts I've had for a few years.

Keep in mind the 5.7 liter engine was only built and tuned for high performance car use, and that the iron block 6.0 was only in heavy duty trucks. Two totally different applications, despite what you might infer from a spot HP or TQ number. There's nothing wrong with infusing some extra cubes into you Camaro, if that is what you want there are many options out there.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I am using that 6.0L block in my Trans Am. Of course...with all forged LS1 internals though. Just bigger.
    You would have to swap out damn near everything except for the blocks in order for this to work effectively for you.

BTW...I have not heard anything good about that SLP shortblock. For that price...go with someone that has a good rep.

Thread Information