Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 427 ls2

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

427 ls2

I have been doing quite some research but still have some questions.

To start things off I'll give y'all some background. My GOAT is my prized possesion. I am never getting rid of it and will be become my weekend warrior. I am looking forward to that day when I'm an old bastard and I take it out for Sunday cruises and get crazy stares haha.

As you all know Pontiac is no more and very few new generation GTO's were even produced. I know it will be a collectors car and this methodology is in my mind. I want my car to remain as much stock as possible but also strike terror in those that even think about matching with me.

So in that I want to match VINs thus the same motor/trans set-up that currently sits in her. Tranny is easy since I'm just going to rebuild with stronger parts and I have the IRS so good there too.

Ok with that out of the way I am a firm believer that there is 'no replacement for displacement' and boost is just a lame excuse. So lets not mention this at all in this thread. My goal is to get around 600 rwhp.

So I was thinking 427 cid by the use of Darton sleeves. Yes I know its going to cost a pretty penny but the VIN will match! I will keep the 243 heads and just have them CNC ported as well.

The questions I have are as follows:

How reliabile will this engine build be? Will it last and be just as sturdy as stock LS1/LS2?

Can I resleeve it later on again too? I know Darton is a dry process where the entire deck must be machined. I don't want to go this route if after I beat the new sleeves up a bit that I would have to junk the motor.

Answers? Thoughts? Opinions?

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

that would be a sick engine. ive read about them builds befor in gm high tech. mti in houston had a package when they were open. lots of power

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Also what about sonic testing?

Would this still be required to ensure the block is capable before sleeving?

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Why not just stroke it out to a 408? It will be alot cheaper, plus you arent going to lose much in the hp dept too.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    Why not just stroke it out to a 408? It will be alot cheaper, plus you arent going to lose much in the hp dept too.
    Ever since the I learned about the great '67 Stingray with a 427 I have wanted the mighty 427!

Money isn't really an issue. Like I said the car will be my baby for a long time. This build will take some time and I'm in no hurry to get the most out of her.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

ls3 427..its safer..plus you have a bad ass powerplant of the ls3. with its bad ass heads

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ls3 427..its safer..plus you have a bad ass powerplant of the ls3. with its bad ass heads
    True but VINS would no longer match. I have seen several companies that developed and produced 427 LS2s with the Darton sleeves. My assumption is the Darton sleeves are designed to handle much more stress than the stock cast iron sleeves with considering the larger bore. Now has this been tested and any results from this engine build....I don't know.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

LS engines are throw away mortors break and replace the way the stealership wants

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I appreciate everyones input but does anyone have information regarding my questions/concerns?

White
    2010 Camaro LS

well i know i'm still new here but heres my advice.. My dad has the same mindset as you.. He has a 02 T/A, 06 GTO, and most recently bought a 09 G8GXP (for an absolute steal) anyways he decided against selling the 02 and 06 and put them in storeage.. he believes the'll net the family a pretty penny after a while.. but stay with me here.. if the main thing your worried about is matching vins.. why not for the time being take the LS2 out.. and swap something else into to 1) absorb the miles that would otherwise be put on the LS2 2) you could do what ever you want with a new motor ex LS7.. 440ci LS7.. 454ci lsx.. and later on when you are older you could swap the LS2 back in and have a matching VINs car.. either that.. or is money really isn't an issue for you why not put your gto in storeage and go buy a wrecked gto to bring back to life as a monster.. their was a guy that lived in huntsville al that i used to know that had a salvage title 05 gto painted it matte black and it has/had a supercharged ls7 i haven't seen him in a few years but it was definately a head turner

NBM
    2002 Camaro

^^I agree with him.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Money isnt a concern for the build since I know it will develop over the next few years. Money is a concern in terms of buying another toy on top of the current one. And also I would follow the path of your Dad in terms of buying a T/A or GXPG8 if it would be another car.

Also it wouldnt matter if I don't put miles on the original engine since I would still be putting miles on the car. That doesnt come into play for anything really.

Now I know that my modifications are not going to keep her 'stock' and since I'm keeping her I don't care except I want to say that all the numbers match and it contains the original stock drivetrain. To me thats cool and also will keep the value up on her.

Not looking for an engine swap.

Anybody have experience with a 427 LS2??!!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    True but VINS would no longer match. I have seen several companies that developed and produced 427 LS2s with the Darton sleeves. My assumption is the Darton sleeves are designed to handle much more stress than the stock cast iron sleeves with considering the larger bore. Now has this been tested and any results from this engine build....I don't know.
    why do you care about matching numbers ?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I do care about matching VIN #'s and end of story.

I have questions that I am seeking answers on. If you don't have the answers or any relevant input to the subject of a 427 LS2 then dont fuckin say a thing! I don't give a fuck about your opinions on motor swap! I didn't start this thread to hear that!

Shit people fuckin drop it!

98' trans am

I have questions that I am seeking answers on. If you don't have the answers or any relevant input to the subject of a 427 LS2 then dont fuckin say a thing! I don't give a fuck about your opinions on motor swap! I didn't start this thread to hear that!

can you take a chill pill bud..you asked a question on a 427 ls2...i then asked why not a ls3 427..you then posted "True but VINS would no longer match."

i simply asked why do you car about vins..it was a serious question..if you really wanted numbers matching for collector wise..i was going to say then a ls2 427 would be good..or just but yank the ls2 and go ls3 427..keeping your ls2 for later...

you sir need to relax the fuck out..lay off the caffeine. jesus christ

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

I'd chill out if I were you. You're the one asking the questions and we're trying to help you out by asking you questions on the build.

First of all, the GTO isn't gonna be a collectors car cause it still wasn't a much wanted car while in production. Why do you think the G8 took its place. If you want to keep it in collectors value, then keep it stock. Don't mess with the motor or anything in it.

Second, you won't get the CFM flow to get the 600 rwhp you want with the 243 heads no matter how much you port them. Those will have to be replaced.

Third, sleeving an aluminum block is just stupid. Why do you think everyone is going iron block for bigger CI. They handle big HP better than aluminum and therefore won't break or crack. Great if it's gonna be driven around on the road.

Last, FI isn't the pussy way out. It's the best way for big hp while keeping good driveability. If you really want your goals to be reached while keeping your matching numbers, just go with a D1 supercharger or turbo. And if it's a turbo, not the rear exhaust mounting one. I've seen numerous people with pretty much stock internals with a supercharger on an LS1 hit 520-540 rwhp. A 6.0 should get close to the 600 rwhp mark no problem and you won't have to do any major work to the block except strength upgrades AKA forged rods and pistons. And when you're done with FI, you just unbolt the plumbing and take it off, and poof, it's back to N/A.

Well, you can listen to us or you can try to do it your way.

Good luck to doing it your way.
    2000 Z28: Accufab 4150, Vic Jr. 150 shot, Patriot stg 2 heads, big cam, FLT Stg VI 4L60, S60 rear. Waaay more stuff to list. 3100 LBS.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Well the GTO was not marketed well and sorry but you can grab a G8 GT for $23K right now so now it did not takes it place. My car will be sought after in the future.

Second I'm sorry if I offended people but I have a lengthy explanation of my goals and direction with a clear statement of my questions.

The defination of a troll is someone who puts input not relevant to the thread just cause it makes them feel better. This thread has become a troll thread and yes that upsets me.

Sleeving is not stupid cause if you wanted a LQ9 block to be bored to 4.125 then you need sleeves in it also. It is everyones opinion either to go iron or aluminum since there is no conclusive data that shows that either is better.

I would be more proud to have a car in which it could have been designed to be thus staying with stock components.

All I want to know is background about having a LS2 sleeved and info about others experiences with a 427 LS2.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

You seem to know the info....

Get it sleeved and tested. Then 4.125 bore and 4.125 stroke. Bam....427.
    Keep in mind, the 427 is going to make very little more power than your stock LS2 stroked to 402.
    If I recall, the 427 you are referring too is a big block, and no matter what you do to the LS2, it will always be a small block. Not sure of the reference there. Totally different motors.

I have no problem with going 427. Just a TON more money.
    Is the stock motor even stamped with the VIN???

hugger orange

I appreciate everyones input but does anyone have information regarding my questions/concerns?
    1 inch deck plate with longer sleeves and super stroker crank, and intake spacers....with these yoy can get up to 500 ci, so if you stay smaller on the bore it will be stronger and can be rebored later....BAM matching VIN

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    You seem to know the info....

Get it sleeved and tested. Then 4.125 bore and 4.125 stroke. Bam....427.
    Keep in mind, the 427 is going to make very little more power than your stock LS2 stroked to 402.
    If I recall, the 427 you are referring too is a big block, and no matter what you do to the LS2, it will always be a small block. Not sure of the reference there. Totally different motors.

I have no problem with going 427. Just a TON more money.
    Is the stock motor even stamped with the VIN???
    I'm wondering if sonic testing is required after it is sleeved due to the machining of the deck. It would suck to pay to have it machined to find that the block is shit ya know!!

Also the Darton sleeves are already set on bore and only have to hone after you install the sleeves.

Also a big block vs small block is defined as the actual overall size of the block. The displacement has nothing to do with it since as we know with the LS engines (small blocks) that we can get big block displacements through bore/stroke combos.

There is only one LS2 motor....no big block or short block editions.

Thread Information