Thread: 400 wheel HP

01pewterls1

400 wheel HP

Ive got a 01 ws6 currently dynoed at 330 to the wheels...i have LT headers w/ 3" true duals...whisper lid and a KN...taylor race wires and NGK plugs..ive also got sfc lcas phb and a centerforce clutch w/ lightened flywheel...it does pretty good now but i was planning on getting a cam soon...i wanna get real close to the 400 wheel hp mark if not hit it...i dont need like anything w/ a smooth idol...ill prolly drive it close to everyday but i can deal w/ a rough idle so long as it doesnt die all the time...a friend of mine has all the similiar mods in his 00 trans am but hes got a cam...hes got a really big cam too...232/230 somewhere just below .60 on lift and 110 LSA he made 371 to the wheels now thats alot but to me it seems he should make more...and it has been tuned.. but i see some on here w/ smaller cams and bigger power...he also has a y pipe and borla exhaust no cats...dont know if that makes a diff or not...anyhow any input helps thanks a ton...any cam specs you suggest would help..and other needed mods to hit that 400 hp mark!

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

A good set of heads would do the trick or close to it.

You'de probably free up some power with a good tune since you got LT's then you'll know exactly how far you need to go. H/C should get you there. I have a spray set up I haven't installed. That is where I'm going to get my 400mark. A 75 shot should suffice.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

does your friend have a ls6 intake? with that cam, he should've hit it unless he dyno'd on a mustang dyno or the tune is pretty shitty. A few questions first:
    What is the car going to be used for?
    Where do you want your power?
    Will it be full bolt on?
    Are you going to be using heads?
    How much are you looking to spend?
    How is it going to be tuned?

01pewterls1
    im lookin to drive it everyday or like 3 or 4 days a week...i have an s10 to drive but i dont ever drive it cause i got the ta haha...but i just want it for a 90% street car w/ occasional track visit on the weekends...im not able to afford heads at the time but i was hopin i could hit it 400 w/ the cam since i got 330 w/ and untuned lt header engine...i thought there may be a cam out there that i could get like 50 or 60 wheel hp w/ if not i guess ill settle for less cause i dont have a choice...but i just want a real stout car w/ a nice hard cammin sound at idle haha...anyway thanks for the help

01pewterls1
    ps...ill also be gettin it tuned on a dyno...i know a place w/ a dyno and a wide band a/f...so they can tune it...

red
    1959 corvette

magic stick gaurantees 60+ rwhp but its pretty rough, might stall

T-rex cam is one of the best gainers but you will be gaining a lot of HP at the top of the curve but poor numbers accross the curve........Good peak numbers but poor averages. If that is your only goal that you care about to hit 400 then as far as cams go the bigger the better.

Silver
    2002 Z28

A rough idle means it will probably stall lol. If you go with a moderate heads/cam package you can get 4000 easy and still run smooth... yea, wait till tune until after wards.

01pewterls1
    my friends doesnt stall...it has b4 but not regularly...i dont care if im backing out of a spot and it stalls...im just sayin i dont wanna have to keep it alive at a stop light...and i cant afford heads so thats not an option...just want a cam...and i think the T-Rex is a little aggressive for me

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

then its gonna be tough..i mean, it can be done, but sometimes they just come up short. If you want lope, power, and good driveability, Id look at the new f13 but get it ground on a 110+1 or the new tsp torquer v.3 cam. I dont know the advertised duration so I cant figure out what the DCR for either cam would be. Either cam should get you close if not there. If you have a good tuner, then you shouldnt have any driveablity issues..or at least not too many

Rally Red
    2000 Camaro Z28

with my Lid, ported T/B, LS6 intake, G5X2 cam, kook LT, single 4: exhaust I am looking at 400 at the rear wheels. I am dynoing it this weekend. I had it tuned off the dyno to get alot of my drivability issues worked out. coming up here in a month or 2 I should be getting a bigger cam and my fast 90/90 too so I am going to shoot for 440.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

You should go all bolt ons then cam... You don't have a pulley/P&P TB, that's about 10-15 rwhp combined.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Screw Dyno numbers. How quick you wanna be is the question. Bigger cams often have crap for low end grunt. You may go thumpa thumpa and sound bad and have 2+ second 60' times due no torque.
    But OK
    Heads/Cam/Intake/TB w/ what you already have and a good tuner can get you right there.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

what about the ms3 camshaft..ive heard with a 12 bolt you can launch high enough to get a 1.5 60 foot or better with a 410 gearset....but do you need to launch at the rpm the cam is designed for..like 3000 rpm...will it still get a bad 60 foot time then...or are we looking at street launch performance..cuz i want a big cam but not if it actually makes me slower..and all you a4 guys say youll get me out the hole...im a danm good driver with my m6..would this cam make up for itself up high..or would it get me smoked off the line too hard to put cars on someone with a more torqey cam

SOM BTCH

SOM
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Cam and bolt ons got me to 399RWHP
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476349

Thread Information