White
    2010 Camaro LS

396 ci LS/Vortec?

I'm going to sum this up as best possible
    -I have a near perfect rolling chassic 69 camaro
    -It originaly had a 396 big block in it
    -I would like to build a 396ci LS/Vortec motor
    -I would like to do a 4.1" bore 3.75" stroke (not original spec but close enough)
    -I would like to use a common production engine ex.. 6.0l vortec
    -I don't want to use LS7.. or any aftermarket motor (LSX, LS Race, Warhawk)
    -From what i understand the 6.0l Vortec can only be bored to 4.060 without sonic honeing

so my question is can i bore the LS3 or L92 to 4.1" safely.. if not can i have it resleeved and bore to 4.1?

just before anyone ask.. I have a really good connection with a junkyard in birmingham al.. i pulled a 6.0l vortec a few months back with a friend for his 99 camaro (he's in the process of doing a twin turbo install.. he also recommended that i come to this site) anyways the owner only charged me $100 for the motor and differential.. so thats why i would like to keep it in this range of production motors.. economy sucks any penny i can save you know?

edit: also i'm in no rush at all to complete this project.. while the vehicle is in perfect condition i'm planning on doing the electrical first followed by interior, then paint.. and to finish it i'll do the driveline.. i know for a fact i'm going to use a LS/Vortec motor.. it's just can i make my dream a reality?
    Last edited by Three46Ci; 09-03-2009 at 04:17 PM.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Three46Ci View Post
    I'm going to sum this up as best possible
    -I have a near perfect rolling chassic 69 camaro
    -It originaly had a 396 big block in it
    -I would like to build a 396ci LS/Vortec motor
    -I would like to do a 4.1" bore 3.75" stroke (not original spec but close enough)
    -I would like to use a common production engine ex.. 6.0l vortec
    -I don't want to use LS7.. or any aftermarket motor (LSX, LS Race, Warhawk)
    -From what i understand the 6.0l Vortec can only be bored to 4.060 without sonic honeing

so my question is can i bore the LS3 or L92 to 4.1" safely.. if not can i have it resleeved and bore to 4.1?

just before anyone ask.. I have a really good connection with a junkyard in birmingham al.. i pulled a 6.0l vortec a few months back with a friend for his 99 camaro (he's in the process of doing a twin turbo install.. he also recommended that i come to this site) anyways the owner only charged me $100 for the motor and differential.. so thats why i would like to keep it in this range of production motors.. economy sucks any penny i can save you know?

edit: also i'm in no rush at all to complete this project.. while the vehicle is in perfect condition i'm planning on doing the electrical first followed by interior, then paint.. and to finish it i'll do the driveline.. i know for a fact i'm going to use a LS/Vortec motor.. it's just can i make my dream a reality?
    a common setup with the 6.0 that alot of people use on this site is the 402-408 stroker. its common and very easy to do because so many have done it before and will continue to do it. but i think you might get some more specific info if you can tell us which 6.0 it is. there was an earlier model which was the lq4 and the later model dubbed the lq9. both low compression(great for boost even though neither were forged). i know the lq9 was more performance based and had the same cam as a stock ls1. puts out about 375hp 400tq(not 100% sure on that). i think the lq4 has the same ratings as the ls1. i know the casting design was generally the same between the ls1, lq4, and lq9. they just have little things that make differences on them like the heads and intake manifold. the only real difference between the lsx and vortech lineups are the fact that the lsx family from the factory is aluminum and the cortech family is iron. same general design though.

White
    2010 Camaro LS

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    a common setup with the 6.0 that alot of people use on this site is the 402-408 stroker. its common and very easy to do because so many have done it before and will continue to do it. but i think you might get some more specific info if you can tell us which 6.0 it is. there was an earlier model which was the lq4 and the later model dubbed the lq9. both low compression(great for boost even though neither were forged). i know the lq9 was more performance based and had the same cam as a stock ls1. puts out about 375hp 400tq(not 100% sure on that). i think the lq4 has the same ratings as the ls1. i know the casting design was generally the same between the ls1, lq4, and lq9. they just have little things that make differences on them like the heads and intake manifold. the only real difference between the lsx and vortech lineups are the fact that the lsx family from the factory is aluminum and the cortech family is iron. same general design though.
    I understand that and thank you.. but both the lq4/9 can only safely be bored to 4.060" and my ideal for perfect would be a 4.1" bore and a 3.75" stroke opposed to a 4.0" bore 4.0" stroke that the 402ci uses thats why i'm trying to find the max bore for the L92/LS3 motor to see if i can hit the 4.1" bore

White
    2010 Camaro LS

new update.. well since i can't bore the 6.0l motor to 4.1" i guess i'll do a .020 overbore and use a eagle 3.9" stroke crankshaft to reach my 396ci build.. kind of a dissapointment since i can't get the stroke and bore similar to the old 396 motor but oh well.. anyways my question now is how have y'alls experience with eagle been on LS motors?

Thread Information