Red
    1999 Trans Am

231/237 cam longtubes ls6 intake speed inc tuned 360rwhp????

Hello everyone im new to posting on here but I read it every day. I have a 99 trans am ws6 with si5 cam from speed inc, longtubes, ls6 intake, and lid. I had it dyno tuned by speed inc and ended up with 360rwhp at peak. It runs and idles like a dream. Does anyone think this number is low?? I must have picked up around 60rwhp from everything. Maybe some power left on the table or maybe it just has more low end rpm hp? I have the dyno graph if anyone wants to see it...im thinking my next mod this summer will be heads but thought about just spraying it...any opinions?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

That's about right with those mods.

Your biggest hold back is the heads. If you get a set of used 243's (about $450-500) you'll pick up a few more but not enough to really justify all the work. A set of aftermarket heads will get you more bang for the buck.

If you're an auto I would get a good stall converter 1st, you'll really feel like your car is a different animal.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Its a 6 speed and I thought about that how much do you think I can gain from prc 2.5s....or should I just usr a 150 shot? Im not trying to spend a million dollars to make my car fast but I have people to race this summer and I want it done soon...I upgraded to ls6 intake over ls1 how big of a deal is it to have a fast intake with heads cam setup..also if i add fast intake do i need fuel rails etc too?

Navy Blue Metallic

PRC - there are better heads out there for relatively the same price range. TrickFlow has some great heads. For the best results you need to have guys like Martin Smallwood, Brian Tooley, or Geoff from EPS spec out a heads & cam combo to get the best bang for your buck. There is a Trickflow combo pack on Summit that comes with heads, cam, pushrods, timing chain & springs that has some pretty good gains on HP & TQ.

Nitrous - stock internals can handle up to 125 shot easy with no serious risk of damage. Around the 150 shot you'll start to need tuning to safely continually use back to back. Above that you'll need to drop some $$$$ on parts & tuning otherwise you're asking to blow up the block.

LS6 intake - I will always say it's worth the upgrade over a LS1 intake. Used $300, maybe lower now.

FAST intakes - The 90 is slightly better than the LS6 intake. Maybe 10-20 hp gain difference, IMHO not really worth the $800+ when you can spend that for other stuff. The 102 intake - this intake is design for serious mod'd builds. Best with stroker builds and aftermarket heads & tuning. You'll still get gains on a cam' LS1 but unless you have some great flowing heads you're just spending a lot of money and not getting any benefits.

If you're looking for a bump in HP but not going to far out in modding the engine then Nitrous is the way to go as long as you heed what I said about how much.

WARNING - Once you start adding parts for go fast you'll begin to find your weakness in the rest of your drive train. The 10 bolt can only handle so much, (not too much over stock) before it will grenade. Being a M6 car if you run slicks or DR's you increase the chances of it going out.

If you do decide to a cam upgrade - smart money is to also get a good new oil pump (LS6 or Melling 10295 & timing chain (LS2). Reason being that you are already doing the work to do the cam swap, do it all once instead of twice and also the stock 97-99 LS1 oil pumps are prone to fail the older they get when at high revs.

Try to do cam and heads at the same time - only need to pay for tuning once, most tuning is $500 a session.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I used to run the same cam 231/237 as you. I also had the following: SLP Lid, K&N, Fast 90/90, Red Top SVO injectors, Patriot Performance Stage II heads, Pacesetter 1 3/4" headers, no cats, magnaflow exhaust. Running through a Yank SS3600 Stall and MWC 9" with 3.70 gears. I put down 435 rwhp and 405 tq tune by Speed Inc.

You sound like your on the right track for what you currently have.

2002 Black WS6 A4.
    FI, H/C, LT headers, full exhaust, Fast 90/90. MWC Fab 9". Subframe connectors,
    Lower Control Arms, Panhard bar, Torque arm Strano Springs & Sway Bars.
    Koni Yellows. FLT Stage VII trans w/ PAS3400
    ASC# 4619 Conversion date was Dec 3, 2001

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I did run nitrous for a while. When Speed went to tune for it I was running out of fuel to do the 150 shot so I did a 75 wet shot. So if your going to go with nitrous you'll likely need to update your fuel system as well.

Navy Blue Metallic

And also wet is better then dry shot.

Thread Information