Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Question 2001 5.3, is this Cam Streetable?

.591/.591 lift
    226/226 dur
    on 110 lsa.

2001 ECSB Z71, 5.3/4L60E Auto-Trac 4x4
    Bone Stock except MSD wires/ K&N Filter.

With a tune, and Comp Springs, what else would be needed to make it streetable???

Hardend Pushrods a plus?

white
    2000 Z28

the 110 lsa seems a bit low for most cams picked. if it were a 112 or higher it would be better for a driveability application. that seems to be the only thing that i could think of that will affect driveability. the actual duration and lift should be fine even for a 5.3. hardened pushrods are always a must after a cam imo. hell people even bend them with stock engines. of course some people are a bit harder on their cars than others.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    the 110 lsa seems a bit low for most cams picked. if it were a 112 or higher it would be better for a driveability application. that seems to be the only thing that i could think of that will affect driveability. the actual duration and lift should be fine even for a 5.3. hardened pushrods are always a must after a cam imo. hell people even bend them with stock engines. of course some people are a bit harder on their cars than others.
    This is for my cousin's truck.

Got a sweet deal on the bumpstick. My reasoning for the Prods was the cam won't make all it's power till over 5.5k, which means the rev limiter needs to be raised to harness the power gain. My experience has been that the motor is overall good for 6.5k-7k but the P-rods and springs become the weak links.

white
    2000 Z28

well the cam specs are obviously gonna push the stock valvetrain to failure so i would expect it to be treated as other cam installs. oil pump, timing chain, rods, and springs. with that low of an lsa it will keep the power lower if i remember right, so overreving shouldnt be much of a problem with proper valvetrain. but there is no reason not to take the precautionary steps

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

It's gonna need a big stall to get that heavy truck moving. It will not have much bottom end. Stock P rods flex at those lift #'s and the spring pressures needed to control that cam. It will behave like a mid 230's cam on a 346. It will need supporting mods too like headers, tune etc.....

I have a 99 5.3 in my Z-71 and would never consider going bigger than a high 2 teens cam on my truck but I tow a boat and hunt with it.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

He really needs all the bolt ons before he should think about that cam. Which is too big for an extended cab 4x4 except if he gets a 4000 rpm stall or something like that.

Thread Information