Black
    2002 Trans Am Firehawk

Cool 2000 Trans Am LS1 slight tick

i am in the process of buying a 2000 TA with 99,000 kms ( around 60,000 miles ) on it. when i took it to get safetied, my buddy who works at the garage said they noticed a tick they thought was lifters. We put a stethescope on the heads and they sound fine. sounds like it is coming from the mid motor area over the intake. the sound in my opinion is very, very faint ( i never noticed it myself ). any body have any suggestions. the one idler is going to have be replace because it is making a noise. could it be noise from this or the belt? also he said he ran the bulletins that GM put out on the car and they claim that if you don't run a factory GM filter, it could cause some engine noise ( any truth to this? ). I am going to put on a GM filter tonight and give that a try.

thanks guys

black trans am

its probably the AIR valves.. the things that come off the exhaust manifolds that have a black valve and then a rubber tube off of them... they make a noise and sounds as if the car has a valve tap... well it is a valve tap that goes with the flow of the eng but its not in the heads its a common thing that no ever looks in to...

Black
    2002 Trans Am Firehawk

thanks a bunch. any other comment are welcome also.

A LS1 with a tick? Shirley you jest! LMAO...if you can find a LS1 that doesn't tick i'll it EAT IT!

black trans am

come down to hagerstown and ill show u one... only thing ull hear is ex leaks from the cut outs

Black
    2000 WS6

I have the same tick you mention, I ve had it since I purchased the car new.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    come down to hagerstown and ill show u one... only thing ull hear is ex leaks from the cut outs
    BS! there is no such thing as a quiet no tick ls1 or ls2 or ls3...i just listened the a BRAND NEW Pontiac G8 with you guessed it...tick tick tick tick tick.....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

black trans am

its the cheep ass check valves gm uses... take them off and no more tick.... im guesses if u have a tick then u have AIR AND EGR on ur car... right? put long tubes with out that shit and if u still have a tick then u need to check ur push rods b/c u may have over reved the damn then and bent one... one bad thing of the ls1 is week valve springs and they flot the valves at 5500 and if u hit 6400 it can make then valve hit the piston and band the week push rods there for saving ur eng and making a tick when there not the right pre load on ur lifters... making the tick u may hear in some ls1's

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans-Am

This is how my ticking started

Was going through the gears at max RPM, when I went to shift from second to third, you may have guessed it already....I went back into 1st..ahhh...needless to say max RPM, to tell you the truth I did not think it would let me back into 1st at such a high RPM and with the rev limiter I thought I was fine. Drove the car a few miles and all seemed fine. When I came to a stop there was a slight tick on the right side of the engine. I thought maybe an exhaust leak as I recently has long tubes installed and the locks were not installed on the right side header bolts. A few months later while driving on the freeway the ticking stopped then a violent vibration. Shut the engine down and had the car transported to the shop. They put the car on the computer and it read number 6 cylinder has a mechanical failure. So much for the slight ticking noise. Not sure what they will find...push rod, spring, lifter...valve?? Who knows but I'm sick to my stomach. I recommend before you purchase the car have it hooked up to a monitor to make sure the engine was not over reved. What do you experts (and I mean this in a respectful way) feel they will find when they remove the valve covers on my car?

black trans am

u sir bent a push rod, from the valve hitting the piston.... comp cams 918s are a must with a stick car for that reason... u may have bent a valve as well... if u bent the valve and it some how was still runing fine it may have weekend the stem and broke the valve and may veary well kill ur ls1... or broke a spring and still may have killed ur ls1.... truck blocks are chepper then an ls1... build it, break it, make it better stronger faster it never ends

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans-Am

Thanks for the feedback blackbird

I'm sure once we (haha they) get into the engine they will find a broken spring, bent rod, bent valve or something like that. I'm concerned about your comment about killing the LS1. May be I'm overreacting but I thought these items could be replaced and repaired. If the rod would have shot through the block I understand a complete change but that did not happen. Is there still a chance that something else could have been damaged so severely that the complete engine would need replaced??

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans-Am

First inspection

Well, after the valve cover was pulled a broken (not bent) push rod was found. Need to fish out the bottom part of the rod after that going to install 4 new push rods, and check the compression again, if all is good going to wrap her up for the winter. Next spring a new cam (Magic stick v.4), lifter and push rod assembly is going to be installed. Needless to say the push rods will be hardened.

Stay single guys....my wife has been a pain in the ass over this.

good luck
    Last edited by 99RTA; 09-30-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans-Am

Lucky I guess

Well, the broken off piece of the push rod was found and four new rods were installed on the #6 and #5 cylinders. The valve cover was installed etc then an oil and filter change. The engine was hooked up to an OTC scanner and started. Fortunately for me the scanner read all cylinders working perfectly!! A short test drive and the ticking was gone.

Now we can send people to the moon, we can even stop a car from over revving while accelerating BUT we are not able to keep a car from over revving when you miss a shift??

Sounds like a possible invention for one of you mechanical wizards out there.

FASTER THNA SPEEDINtICKEt BANDITO's Avatar

White
    2002 trans-am

If u have an A4 check your flex plate mine did a weird ticking sound i thought it was the valves but it was my flex plate that was cracked haha I broke it eventually in half. Just to make sure.

Thread Information