Thread: 2 Cam questions

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

2 Cam questions

Ok, I have a couple of questions.

1. Is a 226/226 585/585 112 LSA cam, a good choice if I already have longtubes and catback? If so how much power increase could I expect with this setup?

2. I already have a cam and have done the springs and pushrods, so if I wanted to change to a different cam could I just leave the rest alone as long as the springs support the new cam?

Thanks
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I am guessing that cam is from Patriot. It is almost identical to the one that I have in my car now (almost got that one instead). You should see very similar gains as to what I had. Only difference between mine and that cam are mine is 226/228 .585/.588 lsa 112 and it is a comp XER lobe.

This graph shows the difference of my car before and after (tuned) the cam (before was just headers, exhaust, lid, and a tune).

I am very happy with this cam. Still very drivable (I put at least 1100 miles a month on my car), and gas mileage did not change one bit once I started driving it a bit more normal

I still can not run with sticky tires at the track, but it has given me high hopes for some much better times then my current 8.11 @ 90.67 MPH (2.02 60'). The car really likes the higher RPMS now compared to the stocker, shifting close to 6800 now and it still wants to go up some. I just don't trust the stock internals past that.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

Hey thanks for the info, I'll prolly go with that cam then. Can u give me any input on my 2nd question aslo?

white
    2002 B4C

It looks like you lost a lot of low & mid range? Anyone suggest a cam with better low/mid range? Dynos? Sorry for the thread jack.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    I am guessing that cam is from Patriot. It is almost identical to the one that I have in my car now (almost got that one instead). You should see very similar gains as to what I had. Only difference between mine and that cam are mine is 226/228 .585/.588 lsa 112 and it is a comp XER lobe.

This graph shows the difference of my car before and after (tuned) the cam (before was just headers, exhaust, lid, and a tune).
    Click for full size

I am very happy with this cam. Still very drivable (I put at least 1100 miles a month on my car), and gas mileage did not change one bit once I started driving it a bit more normal

I still can not run with sticky tires at the track, but it has given me high hopes for some much better times then my current 8.11 @ 90.67 MPH (2.02 60'). The car really likes the higher RPMS now compared to the stocker, shifting close to 6800 now and it still wants to go up some. I just don't trust the stock internals past that.

So you gained 38 hp with that cam?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by blk_jaws View Post
    Hey thanks for the info, I'll prolly go with that cam then. Can u give me any input on my 2nd question aslo?
    If you mean you want the cam I have it is made by Vengeance racing. As for the second question it depends on what type of springs you have in there already. I went with the Patriot Gold double spring because I wanted a little more security. As for pushrods mine are still stock. I know many say to replace them for hardened, but I rather bend a pushrod then a valve.

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    It looks like you lost a lot of low & mid range? Anyone suggest a cam with better low/mid range? Dynos? Sorry for the thread jack.
    More like I did not gain a huge amount in my mid (2500-4500). Bigger cams would cause those numbers to actually go down since most are more peaky, which would make higher numbers, but they do sacrifice someplace. For more mid and low you would need to look into something smaller I would think, and sacrifice the peak power.

Quote Originally Posted by blk_jaws View Post
    So you gained 38 hp with that cam?
    Yes, the nice thing is I gained alot more under the curve up to my peak power.

Shanghai Mica
    2001 HSV SenatorSignature

I think it is a decent grind and should nett you at least 380rwhp with all the usual bolt-ons. It is on XE-R lobes, so decent valvesprings are required and with the recent problems with Comp 918s, I'd recommend either Pac springs, or Patriot Duals.

If you went for a larger cam, then the Dual valvesprings and hardened pushrods should be okay.

The way I read the dyno sheet above (posted by Bottesini) is that it gained everywhere, certainly didn't lose any pwr/tq.

It would make for a nice DD cam.

Cheers,

Macca

Thread Information