SOM
    2002 SS

Cool 01 z06 cam... Should I?

Over 370 rwhp with 1.82 rrs longtubes rt cats and a muffler, blackwing and a tune. Was looking for a zo6 cam and came across an 01 z06 for $80 that's local. Should I? I already have comp 918s and crane pushrods so I'm looking to do a mild cam and re-tune and that's it. I'd like to hit 400rwhp or around there (around 400 on THAT same dyno I used).

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Over 370 rwhp with 1.82 rrs longtubes rt cats and a muffler, blackwing and a tune. Was looking for a zo6 cam and came across an 01 z06 for $80 that's local. Should I? I already have comp 918s and crane pushrods so I'm looking to do a mild cam and re-tune and that's it. I'd like to hit 400rwhp or around there (around 400 on THAT same dyno I used).
    unless you get some good head work and a better intake you're not going to hit the 400 mark with that cam...

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

But is it worth that for 80 bucks? That's a great price, right? How different was the cam on the z06? I've been told that on the base vette the cam wasn't that much different. I would assume the z06 had a better or more aggressive cam...?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

It's worth 20ish hp

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    But is it worth that for 80 bucks? That's a great price, right? How different was the cam on the z06? I've been told that on the base vette the cam wasn't that much different. I would assume the z06 had a better or more aggressive cam...?
    for $80.00 i wouldn't do it... i'd just save and buy a better cam... yes the z06 cam is a different cam... depending on how old your springs are you'll more than likely have to buy new springs as well... the z06 cam sounds stock as well...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

$80 for 20HP is a GREAT gain.
    The problem isn't in the cost of the cam....but the install.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Ya ya that's what I was thinking. Most of us spent $100ish for a lid to get 10-15hp, so $80 for 20 would be a better deal... except for the install costs... But you'd have to pay that either way, so you could still look at it as saving a couple hundred bucks.

And to what Spaz said, isn't it common practice to replace the springs with any cam install anyway?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i always assume that everyone is going to do their own install...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Ya ya that's what I was thinking. Most of us spent $100ish for a lid to get 10-15hp, so $80 for 20 would be a better deal... except for the install costs... But you'd have to pay that either way, so you could still look at it as saving a couple hundred bucks.

And to what Spaz said, isn't it common practice to replace the springs with any cam install anyway?
    The LS6 cam would be fine under his current springs. Not being pushed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i always assume that everyone is going to do their own install...
    You didn't even install your own motor mounts or LT's....

I have a variation of the LS6 cam in my wifes car, and it performs nicely.

What bothers me is the use of the 1.82 rockers along with the cam while trying to use the stock springs. Those rockers are probably already taxing the springs capability to control the valves, and adding another .070-.080 lift to that might push the springs beyond what they can control.

I'd do a spring upgrade if it were me, if you are dead set on that LS6 cam. If getting into it that far you may as well do a pushrod upgrade too. Since you have that stuff it would only make sense to install it while you're in there.
    I agree with others, it's alot of work to swap the cam. Depending on what you are really looking for with the car would dictate which cam I'd use at this point before I dove into a project like that. I only want to do it once. Do you want big HP numbers? Or do you want a stock smooth idle and stock like gas mileage? Emissions?

I can't say for sure what the cam will do for you HP wise. I've never had my wifes car on the dyno, but judging from the others I've raced around here that have dyno'd their cars, I ET and Trap nearly identical as several 4th gens around here that dyno in the 370ish range, with the cam only, and a set of headers/off road Y.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

The LS6 cam would be fine under his current springs. Not being pushed at all.

You didn't even install your own motor mounts or LT's....
    hell no... i had the motor mount put in and the LTs at the same time... would have taken me all weekend and several casees of beer... time i didn't have...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

But beer you did have....

SOM
    2002 SS

Not sure if any of you read the original post before responding....

I JUST installed Crane 1.82 RRs AND comp 918s. i know i over sprang it but i did so since i planned to add a mild cam. I believe the difference between 01 and 02 is .525 vs .550 lift and slight duration difference. I figured for $80 it was worth grabbing an 01 cam. If I go custom cam it will be higher lift but similar duration and lsa to a stock cam. I want the same powerband but just slightly more power with stock driveability.

i think most guys are right though the install cost wouldnt be worth it. I know i would need a retune with the duration increase from stock.

My car is n 02 m6

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

But beer you did have....
    yeah... probably more than i do working on it... it's like having a family member go for surgery... i hate not being there to atleast watch... if something breaks i'd rather it be my own fault...

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I read it, thanks. If it sounds like I didn't, it's just because I am a newb. I guess comp 918s are springs? I just didn't know what that was... Sorry.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I JUST installed Crane 1.82 RRs AND comp 918s. i know i over sprang it but i did so since i planned to add a mild cam. I believe the difference between 01 and 02 is .525 vs .550 lift and slight duration difference. I figured for $80 it was worth grabbing an 01 cam. If I go custom cam it will be higher lift but similar duration and lsa to a stock cam. I want the same powerband but just slightly more power with stock driveability.

i think most guys are right though the install cost wouldnt be worth it. I know i would need a retune with the duration increase from stock.

My car is n 02 m6

yeah... he wouldn't need a tune but it wouldn't hurt...

so far...
    cam $80.00
    new springs 300-400
    tune 300 - 500...

might as well go for something that you really want if you're goingto be spending the money...

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro

I wouldnt waste all of the time or money installing a LS6 cam unless you were dead set on it or had one laying around and just wanted to through a motor together for a DD or cruiser.

You can get a custom grind cam and tailor it exactly for what you have and what you want. I see alot of guys using mild custom grinds to keep near stock drivability but the performance gains and sound of an aftermarket cam. Most shops can spec you a custom grind or even an "off the shelf" cam to give you what you want. Also, 90% of drivability has to do with the tune. Like I tell everyone else, always make sure to find a very reputable tuner that will stand behind their work. At 300-550 for the intial tune you dont want a junk tune just to have to pay that again to get a good one from another tuner.

I dont know the sponsors here or the rules of posting non-sponsor info on this board, so feel free to shoot me a PM if you would like some recommendations on some of the places I have had good experience with custom grinds from.

Hope this helps and good luck!

My car is n 02 m6
    In that case, with your 1.82 rockers, you'll wind up with about a .560 lift at the valve.
    And you would definately need to retune it if you are as picky as I am. Changing the valve action is going to change airflow, which skews your VE tables at the very least.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I'd say around $100 for a 5hp gain with a lid lol but that's not a bad price for a LS6 cam. But there are much better cams that will show a difference in power over that cam for a decent price. I'd spend the few extra bones and get a nice drivable cam that will make good power. I think LS6 vettes with a tune and full exhaust can dyno near 380whp with the LS6 cam/ heads/ intake/ tune/ exhaust. So maybe something a little bit more aggressive would prob do it like a 224R. One guy I know made 390whp cam only on stock heads with full exhaust on a 224/224 cam. If that doesn't suit your needs. Pat G can spec a cam for you.

Thread Information