2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Resurrection of the Z28!!

Preamble:
    I have a 00 1SC Z28 auto. Back in 06 I paid the car off took a loan out on it (ya not the brightest financial move but oh well it's finally paid for again and this time never again) and sank it back into the car. Moser 9", 31 spline axles, Detroit locker with 4.11's in Nodular center section, built 4L60E, 3600 Vigilante stall, LS6 intake, 42# injectors, Pacesetter longtubes, racetronix pump, tune, adj torque arm and panhard rod. KYB adjustible shocks etc. Already had SLP lid, smooth bellows, all free mods SFC's and LCA's and a few other ins and outs. Well I got it all running good, drove it for about a month then had a mishap trying to diagnose a trans shifting problem. It was downshifted into 2nd at about 80 over-reving and bringing the already close piston to valve clearance close enough to grenade the engine long before I got it to the track.

Fast foreward to last month, after finally getting other honey do's, changing priorities, and Murphy's law scenarios out of the way I got down to looking for another engine. Cue Craigslist. Found a complete (minus intake and electronics) LS1 that was disassembled for 700. Supposedly a 80K mile TA engine that was going to be a stroker for someone's fox body, even came with a complete gasket set with MLS head gaskets. He decided he wanted a Nitrous kit for his WS6 more and sold the engine.

Now I have amassed a collection of other parts to rebuild the LS1 and am digging in to get my Z28 back on the road again. Adding ARP rod bolts, Melling high pressure/high volume oil pump, LS2 timing chain, and using all new rings and bearings and bolts where required. Everything mic'd and looked good so stock sizes on everything. My son and nephew have been dying to help so I've had plenty of help. Now on to the pics!

Nice new parts (LS6 is in there because I sold my old one a while back and needed a new one. Cost alot more than it did back then though ).

Some of the LS1

Started cleaning everything real good first. Engine is in great shape. Honestly looks like I could put the same bearings and run it as is, oh well it'll really be like new now.

Forgot to get pics putting the pistons in the bores but after one whole day cleaning, measuring, test fitting, measuring agin, clean again, lube, and then bolt I finally have more progress on it than it's had in 6 years, almost a complete rotating assembly!

All the tolerances are great, almost exactly in the center of the spec ranges. Right at a hair under 10 lbs resistance to turn over with everything tightened and torqued down. It's at my brother in law's shop so can't work on it everyday so next up will be this weekend. Hopefully should at least have complete bottom end done and maybe all the valvesprings swapped over on the heads, a complete longblock if I'm real lucky. Well I'm stoked the GTO's been nice but it's nothing like the Z28 was and I can't wait to be back driving it.
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 09-25-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Damn looks good, what kind of cam are you going to be running

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks like you have a great helper for the assembly. Good family project -- keep the pics coming.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Nice! Way to get the kids into this nasty habit

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Its great to have a father and son project. Someday your son will be driving the same car that he and dad built. Congratulations on the start of a nice build.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information