Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

Talking "new" car and new to the forums.

so here's a huge project of mine, just got it home. it runs strong but needs a lot of work (mostly body/interior), but i do eventually plan to rebuild the engine and all that. it's nerve wracking because i actually got into a pretty bad wreck with my g6 gt on the way home after purchasing this bad boy, but i'm of course still excited besides most people thinking i'm crazy... been waiting for this all my life, pretty much.

it's a pretty simple '68 350 Firebird, currently has a 350 turbo transmission. hoping to get started on it really, really soon.

Last edited by lawless; 12-24-2009 at 07:56 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Awe yes welcome to the money pit association. Alcohol has a 12 step program, mourning has a 3 step process, and cars is 1 step-poverty.

And welcome to the sight what plans do you have chassis wise?

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

haha, thank you!

welllll.. for now, i'm trying to think necessities. my buddy that's been talking about helping me wants me to drop in a new 400, but i kind of don't have the heart to do that right now because the current 350 is good (and well, it's an unneeded expense at the moment). tranny wise, t5 manual or a 200-4R, but still unsure.. just weighing my options in my head, seeing budget wise where i stand, and just trying to get a feel of what i'd want. everything is all up in the air right now.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I know what you mean but bigger is always better and you can keep the original stuff so you have a "matching numbers" car. Mopar guys are the worst

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

haha, my dad was a mopar man, now he seems to like this one pretty good (or so he SOMETIMES lets on). he always liked GM products, but never owned anything from the muscle era.

one of the first things i need to do though, is an upgrade on the brakes.

but yeah, bigger is almost always better, but in this case, yeah.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

horsepower first then brakes, nothing like to many passes down the strip and wondering if your drums are to hot to stop in time

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

68s are great cars .. I had a 68 400 with the 400cid .. red car with black interior.. Also had a Blue 69... Blue/blue car .. those little spoilers on back really set that car off .. I always built my 400s to RAIII specs ... good cam and makes good HP and is easy as a DD ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

OMG you didn't tell me you wrecked the g6. You just said something bad happened. Last i knew you just scratched the bumper and were pretty pissed about that! LOL thanks for telling the board before telling me. Glad you are OK though and the bird can certainly do the job of offsetting the loss! Looks like a pretty solid base to start from. Got some plans for my Saturn over the winter but seeing your bird Half makes me want to get one myself! I've got to buy a house win a huge garage. LOL. Keep posting tons o pics. I'm sure everyone wants to take this trip with you. Good luck!

Oh... pics of the g6 pls?

black
    2002 firebird trans am

i would get it running good and then go for looks next! engine mods and suspension will come along as you rebuild it! nice project! keep us updated

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

aww, i'm sorry
    yeah, i've been discussing the g6 situation with so many people i lost track of who i told and who i didn't. well basically, i got into a wreck with the g6 30 minutes after signing the title of the firebird, hah.

g6 is actually not totaled.. but it's going to need a lot of body work. right side is completely hit from the nose all the way to the rear right wheel well. the front wheel took the brunt of the hit.

anyway, i'm hoping to stop by the body shop tomorrow to snag some gory pics before they start fixing it, so i'll post those once i have'em.

yeah, if there's one thing this car is, it's solid. that was my first and main concern about getting a car.. a friend of mine went and got a '63 riviera and ended up selling it at the end of the week because she didn't see how much it had rotted out... not sure why she'd buy a car without completely looking it over... but i guess you live and learn, now she's got a really nice '66 toronado (not my style, but she loves it).

i'll definitely post progress shots and keep updated, as i'm sure i'll run into questions

oh, i agree 4thgen the car definitely needs help as far as suspension goes, haha.

gold
    87 mazda rx7

sweet , good starting point. i love that body style

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

same here, haha. i saw this car and i had to have it. i was on pins and needles the entire week before i went to go see it.

Black
    2001 WS6

nice bird, good luck with it. and also nice discovery too

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Nice. One thing I always liked was in 1968-1970 (I think it was until '70) the speedometers registered 160! The '67 only went to 120. It was enough, tho, since with my 3.36 gearing and 235/60/14 tires on it, 5500 RPM in 4th was about 115-120 anyway. I had a '67 400 4-spd for 11 years, sold it in 2000 to feed the new addiction for modern f-bodies. Classic cars are cool, you will get more thumbs up in that car then with the newer ones. Good luck, and keep us updated.

Thread Information