Black
    1998 Trans Am

My dad's third gen project

I posted some pics of my dad's new third gen race car in one of the third gen thread in aag and have been so busy these past months I never got the chance to post any updates. I'm going to show what we did with the car, starting with when we got the car and go from there.

My dad bought the car pretty close to Christmas of '06 to replace our aging and outdated '90 Dodge Daytona Outlaw 10.5 car.
    The car came from B&B Racecars in TN, the guy can build some awesome cars and is a hell of a welder. The car was in pretty rough shape when we got it but it came with some good suspension parts, awesome rear end and just all around nice chassis. My dad, one of my friends and I did a large portion of the work to the car, with a couple of my dads friends doing some of the body work before we sent it to paint and a couple other friends helping here and there when they could.

First pics of the car:

Engine compartment shot with mock up block

Interior shot, the cage was nice and rusted

Trunk area shot

Shot of the rearend, it came out of one of jeg coughlin's old pro stock cars, and the start of the wheel tubs

Another interior shot, the cardboard is a template for the trans tunnel

More work on the wheel tubs, we were using the cardboard as a template again so we wouldn't have to fight putting the real wheel tub in and out to get side of it trimmed against the body.
    Last edited by C&Cbird; 09-29-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

This one has one of the tubs in

This one is with the firewall modded for the supercharger and welded up by a friend that can do some pretty good body work

Side view of one of the tubs

Wheel tub before it went into the car

Both tubs in by now

This was our "table" we layed on while sanding on the cage and I think I tried to take a nap on it one late evening, lol

Pic showing how rough the car was and the new wheels for the car

Closeup of the titanium wheelie bars that came with the car

Another shot

Random shot of the car

Passenger side of car

Pic of the top of the trans tunnel covers, they are made out of some carbon fiber that I bought for my dad and the seat that came with the car is also carbon fiber, but my dad's dad made him that padded seat cover that is on the seat before he passed away

Pic of the painted cage in the rear and some body work that had been done to the car

Pic of my dad welding some mounting tabs, the sanded and painted engine compartment and me doing something...

More body work had been done, we tossed the doors, hood and nose for fiberglass replacements, and part of the fiberglass dash is on the roof
    Last edited by C&Cbird; 09-28-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Pic of said fiberglass pieces, though if we had known the troubles with that nose piece later on, we would have gotten a one piece front end for the car

Picture of the troubles we had with trying to get the nose on right

Random rear shot of the car

Braided steel brake line

Pic of the new brakes

Ignition box

Interior shot after we sanded and painted everything

Picture of the engine while we were trying to mock some stuff up

Picture of linelock solenoid and little electrical unit my buddy got so we can have brake lights if we want

We did send off the car for a couple weeks to have the wing built and a few other things done in the car, we could have done it, but I think this guy probably did a nicer job than we would have and he did it way faster than we could have

Rear pic of wing

Switch panel used to start car, ignition, lights, etc

Window net that is required

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Side view of old injector hat

Side view of new injector hat

Front view of new injector hat

Another pic of the hat

The fuel cell, it is removable so we can get the engine out

Random outside shot

Random side shot

Another random shot

Black
    1998 Trans Am

The hood cutout for the supercharger, hat and magneto

Side shot of hood

Pic of the battery charging terminals, they are the red and black things in the tail light

Shot of the battery box and battery

Probably gives you a good idea of what its like to be in the driver's seat

More body work had been done and the doors had been fitted how they needed to be

No more gas cap!

Lots of sanding and cutting had been done and last pic before it was sent to the body shop

Black
    1998 Trans Am

At this point, the car was looking pretty bad. It was red, primer, black, primered fiberglass, and bare metal and need a ton of body work. We took it to Wicked Racing and Customs in Stillwater, OK to have them do the the body work and paint. They told us that it took close to 200 hours to get the car to how it looks now and he even told my dad a few days before we picked it up and I quote "I don't know how nice of a car you've owned in the past, but this one is gonna be badass!" The pictures do not do it any justice, the car looks so much better in person.

Side view

Yeah, your reading it right, it says Hemi, gotta make this slomaro fast somehow

Front shot

Their signature

Rear shot

So we got the car back in late March, early April area, but we didn't do much for awhile since we had just lost my dad's dad. I got out of school in the second week of May and in one week the car went from that to having all the lexan windows and windshield in it, finished some wiring, parachutes on it, had the good wheels and tires mounted on it and cleaned and polished up, the brakes bled, most of the throttle linkage and brackets, chased a starting problem for about two days and a few other small things. We took it to a car show at the end of that week and ended up getting best of show with it.

Here are some shots of the car its first time at the local track:

Couple action shots:

We were running it without a hood in case something happened like throwing a belt so it wouldn't take out the hood

When we first unloaded it, we probably had people drooling over it and asking questions for at least an hour. My friend and I weren't too happy about it b/c we were trying to get the car ready and a lot of the idiots were right in our way and didn't bother to move unless we practically ran them over. The first trip to the races wasn't so great, we made two so-so passes and the tranny died on the third pass. Pulled engine and tranny, had the tranny redone, it was burned up for some reason that I don't remember, didn't have to pay for it luckily. We put it all back together and took it out again. Made two passes I believe and broke the tranny again. It sheared the intermediate shaft in two so cleanly that it looks like a laser cut it. Tranny guy said that his blown chevy guys didn't have that problem and all three of his blown hemi guys broke the same part withing about two weeks. Upgraded it and we took it out weekend before last, 9-19-08, but the track wasn't as good as it usually was. Got out there about 100 ft and it went right and he let out. Second pass he left in high just to get it down the track and it popped real loud about 500 ft out(its an 1/8 mile track). Thought we blew the burst panel on the blower, but we didn't luckily. Packed up and took it home.
    Last edited by C&Cbird; 09-29-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I think these shots were from the race where we only made two passes before the tranny died:

We took it out Saturday to another race and it popped on us again. We found a leak in the silicone at the base of the blower and thought that might have been it, took the blower off, scraped everything, silly coned it back up, and out for another pass. Left good and blew the burst panel this time about 330 or so and it took part of the windshield too. We are done with it for the season, but we did cut a 1.10 60 foot that last pass. Keep in mind this car has 10.5Ws. It isn't a big tire car and we are using a foot brake, no trans brake yet.

Sorry it was such a long post, but this was something I've been wanting to do for some time. Its been a long year and a half and we've all done a lot of hard work to the car.
    Last edited by C&Cbird; 10-16-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Holy shit batman.That is amazing. If I had the extra cash I would love to find a POS 70s bird and do something like that. Great work and keep us updated next season!

Black
    1998 Trans Am

You would need a lot of extra cash. If it wasn't for my dad's ability to find crazy good deals and trade stuff, this car never could have been possible for us.

Once you guys get it all sorted out it will be a monster. Its always something with a new car. Good luck and have fun.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Quote Originally Posted by C&Cbird View Post
    You would need a lot of extra cash. If it wasn't for my dad's ability to find crazy good deals and trade stuff, this car never could have been possible for us.
    Congrats man! You and your dad have a sick ass car right there! Looks great!

Thread Information