Thread: X

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

X

The General Motors 60° V6 family of engines began with the 1980 Chevrolet 2.8 L V6 and continues to be produced today (if one doesn't count a larger block casting with larger bore center and new cylinder heads). Its use in the X-body cars leads some to refer to it as the X engine.

It is a 60° vee block with pushrod heads, except for a single DOHC member, the LQ1. This engine family continues with the new GM High Value engine.

The North American Chevrolet Lumina was based on the mid-size GM W platform, which was shared with the Pontiac Grand Prix, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, Oldsmobile Intrigue, Buick Regal and Buick Century (after 1996). Although the Lumina became a popular seller, GM was widely criticized in the motoring press for being late to the game in introducing a direct aero-designed competitor to the Ford Taurus. The Chevrolet Lumina's first generation ended production in 1994, making this the shortest-lived generation of the first-generation GM W-body cars.

In 1989, the Lumina became the nameplate under which Chevrolets were raced in NASCAR, more than a year before the model was available to the public. Irate fans bombarded NASCAR with letters protesting the unfairness of Chevrolet being allowed to race an aluminum car.

In 1987 however, GM was experimenting with a high end performance version above the Z34 to continue where the Z34 left off. The experimental "Z50" version as it was dubbed featured all-wheel-drive and an all aluminum 5.0 L 305ci LT1-style V8 which had 285 hp (213 kW) and 280 ft·lbf (380 N·m) of torque. It never made it to production. The whereabouts of these test-cars remains unknown..

1991-1994 3.4 L DOHC(207 in³) LQ1 V6
    Lumina Z34

The high performance version of the Lumina was the Lumina Z34. Along with a performance suspension package, it was fitted with the 3.4 L DOHC LQ1 V6, putting out 210 hp at 5200 rpm, and 215 lb·ftf (292 N·m) of torque at 4400 rpm. Unique cosmetic changes include a factory spoiler and body moldings, a louvered hood, and a unique steering wheel. The grille was also replaced with a body-colored panel with a small outlet, reminiscent of the Ford Taurus SHO.Performance figures are quite impressive for a front wheel drive V6 car,with a 0-60(mph) time of 7.5 seconds,1/4 mile (~400 m) time of 15.5 seconds and a (limited) top speed of 130 mph (209.21 km/h).
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-18-2009 at 04:51 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The Lumina received a major redesign for 1995, with the Monte Carlo name being resurrected for the 2-door version previously sold as the Lumina coupe. The Euro model was dropped, replaced by the LS trim. The LHO V6 was dropped in favor of the L82 V6, also known as the 3100 SFI. This Lumina was also sold with police (code 9C3) and taxi packages after the Chevrolet Caprice was dropped after the 1996 model year.

Initial trim levels consisted of base and LS. Options included an electric sunroof, leather bucket seats, power windows, power driver seat, and AM/FM stereo with CD player.

The LTZ trim was introduced in 1997 to soften the blow from the discontinued Impala SS and Caprice. Its standard features included 16" brushed aluminum wheels, blackwall radial sport tires, sport tuned suspension, a 3.1 L V6 rated at 160 hp (120 kW) and 185 ft·lbf (251 N·m) or an optional 3.4 L V6 rated at 215 hp (160 kW) and 220 ft·lbf (300 N·m) of torque, a rear spoiler, restyled front and rear body clips (resembling the Monte Carlo Z34), a tachometer, and a floor-mounted shifter.

In 1998 the 3.4 L V6 was replaced by the 3800 Series II which made 200 hp (150 kW) and 225 ft·lbf (305 N·m) torque. Despite its increased torque, the 3.8 liter LTZ demonstrated slightly worse performance due to its lowered horsepower, with 0-60 mph (0-100 km/h) times of 7.5 seconds (as opposed to 7.2 for the LQ1) and 1/4 mile (~400 m) times of 15.7 seconds (as opposed to 15.5 for the LQ1). The car has a naturally-limited top speed of 107 mph (172 km/h) and the rev limiter kicks in at 5800 rpm.

Also in 1998, the Lumina received second generation airbags. The front-wheel drive Chevrolet Impala was introduced as a replacement for the Lumina in 2000, although GM did produce 2001 model year Luminas to be exclusively sold for rental fleets. Sales of the Lumina ended in Canada in 1999. US production ended on April 26, 2001. In some Asian countries, the Lumina continued as a rebadged Buick Century/Regal.

Trims
    Throughout its lifecycle, the second generation Lumina was available in three trim levels:

Base (1995-2001): The most popular Lumina, the base model came well equipped for its price point. It had standard six-passenger seating, power locks, tilt steering wheel, dual airbags, and air conditioning. Base models were equipped with fifteen-inch steel wheels with wheel covers.

LS (1995-1999): One step above the base, LS models offered aluminum wheels, optional dual zone temperature controls, power windows (optional on Base), tachometer, higher-end stereo with GM's Delcolock, upgraded seats, and an optional 3.4 L DOHC engine or 3.8 L OHV engine in 1998.

LTZ (1997-1999): The top of the line Lumina which included alloy wheels, a choice of the 3.1 L V6 engine, 3.4L DOHC engine or 3.8 L V6 engine (1998-1999 only), power driver seat, dual zone climate control and leather with the option for deluxe cloth. A center console was standard on LTZ (optional on LS).

My Gen-I
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-18-2009 at 04:50 AM. Reason: added photo

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Not mine just a pretty cool video.. IMHO

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_JlnfUIFfg[/ame]
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

LQ1 on only one turbine..Please don't pop your 3800 trying this @ home.. I kid, I kid! JK

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6jv_s1hUJg&NR=1[/ame]

White
    2008 Hummer H3

.....and this is for us 3800 guys.. Reason my 3800II Camaro will have a blower eventually. Pay attention closely @ 3:20.. hehehe

green
    1994 camaro

nice write up i really enjoyed reading that. its good to know info. knowledge is power in this world =)

green
    1994 camaro

and the vids were awesome

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
    nice write up i really enjoyed reading that. its good to know info. knowledge is power in this world =)
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
    and the vids were awesome
    Thanx! I totally forgot about this thread lol.. Yeah there's a little more history to the z34 and LQ1 than just another "wrong wheel drive" car..

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    .....and this is for us 3800 guys.. Reason my 3800II Camaro will have a blower eventually. Pay attention closely @ 3:20.. hehehe

after 320...was that it whooping up on some LS1's?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    after 320...was that it whooping up on some LS1's?
    Sure was

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Sure was
    That's also a decent bit of money to do it.

I've dropped around 450 to get my 01 GTP into the mid to low 14's now.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    That's also a decent bit of money to do it.

I've dropped around 450 to get my 01 GTP into the mid to low 14's now.
    I've dropped thousands into my w-body and have'nt even gone down the road yet. Eventually tho, because the blower idea I'm having with the Camaro is eating @ me...

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

I've dropped thousands into my w-body and have'nt even gone down the road yet. Eventually tho, because the blower idea I'm having with the Camaro is eating @ me...
    I'm sure your doin alot more then me. I'm currently sitting on a thermostat, 104's, short ram intake, 3.4 pulley, tune, and 3 inc catless DP.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'm sure your doin alot more then me. I'm currently sitting on a thermostat, 104's, short ram intake, 3.4 pulley, tune, and 3 inc catless DP.
    Here's a little of my never ending project..

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118066

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Here's a little of my never ending project..

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118066
    Looks damn good.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Looks damn good.
    Thanx! I totally forgot about this thread..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Resubscribed........

Thread Information