blue
    1994 camaro

V6 - LS1 conversion help?

Hey guys, i have a 1994 v6 camaro (auto) and want to convert it to an LS1 manual. I know each conversion is always different depending on the quality and the place you get the parts from. Does anyone know approximately how much this will cost me in the end?

Also, this is my first conversion/build so im not sure exactly what i need. Of course i need an ls1 motor and tranny, i also think i have to change the ECU from OBD I to OBD II. If anyone has any advice, id really appreciated it thx

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

It is usually the little things that nickel and dime you. The easiest way to get all the parts you need is to picked up a wrecked car. Then you have all the parts you need.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

to swap my 2000 camaro v6 to an ls1 it cost $14,000. of course it my ls1 isn't stock at all, runs 11.58 NA, and is a lot more personalized with a engine rebuilt so it basically has zero miles on it. i also paid a shop to do all the swapping for me ($3,500 if i remember right) i would say to do a stock to stock your looking at about $7,000-$9,000 if you do all the work yourself. is it worth it... I personally think yes but i plan on never selling it and it has so much more meaning to it because me and my dad built it. if you aren't a sentimental guy, and you'll hear this a lot, it isn't worth it.
    Chris

2000 Camaro SS - ported BBK throttle body, ls6 intake, granatelli MAF, yank 3,500 stall torque converter, Texas Speed Torquer 3 cam, hedmann headers and y-pipe, slp intake lid, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, gasket matched heads, dyno tuned, built trans, UMI 3-point SFC. 11.58sec

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

if your serious about doing the swap e-mail me at 00camaro16@att.net and i will send you a complete list of what you need, or i will try.

blue
    1994 camaro

well, everyone tells me it would make more sense to just go out and buy an ls1 but this is my first car and like u said, the feeling u get when u put it together is much greater than just buying an ls1.

blue
    1994 camaro

yea, i was thinking that it might be easier just to go out there and find a wrecked ls1, that way i can sell the parts i dont need and minimize the damage to my wallet.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Build the 6..

:\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

blue
    1994 camaro

Well, my first idea was to turbo my v6 but after doing some research and talking to a couple of people, i decided not to because #1 the motor i have in my car now has 200k+ miles on it, #2 this is my DD and i dont really feel a turbo is reliable enough.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I have a wrecked Z28 I'll sell you.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Q to the OP: Do you have the place to do this, the tools to do this and, most importantly, the skill set to do this?

I ask because it's a very involved (read: complicated and not for the novice) and expensive proposition you've put forth.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CoT Tommy View Post
    Well, my first idea was to turbo my v6 but after doing some research and talking to a couple of people, i decided not to because #1 the motor i have in my car now has 200k+ miles on it, #2 this is my DD and i dont really feel a turbo is reliable enough.
    Lots more can be done to the 60*v6 than just a turbo for power.. Far cheaper to obtain lsx power in a 60* v6 than just buying an lsx and doing the swap. 300hp is relatively easy to achieve N/A in a 60*v6. There's a large after market too. Last I checked a short block 3.4L was under/around $1k..
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-24-2010 at 07:34 AM.

blue
    1994 camaro

well, im in college right now and this is a project that im not going to start immediately, i may have a garage to do the swap in but if not i have a large enough driveway where i can put a canopy over the car and do it right there. My dad has been a mechanic for 30 + years and hes great with chevys. I think with his knowledge and expertise and me learning a little more every day, we should be able to do it. i understand its obviously not going to happen over night.

- the wrecked z28, how much are u looking for it and how many miles?

blue
    1994 camaro

and do you really think its worth putting alot of power through a v6 that has so many miles on it? the tranny is also shifting a little harder than usual so i definately want to change it from an auto to a stick.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

and do you really think its worth putting alot of power through a v6 that has so many miles on it? the tranny is also shifting a little harder than usual so i definately want to change it from an auto to a stick.
    I would recommend rebuilding the v6 before adding power parts.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

- the wrecked z28, how much are u looking for it and how many miles?
    $3500. 65,000. Never had a problem with it. I bought in new and planned on keeping it forever.

red
    2001 v6 camaro

i was going to say, you can usually picked up a wrecked car with everything you need for around 3k-4k, add a few hundred for misc. gaskets, fluids, etc and you can have it for fairly cheap. defiently not 7-9k

black
    99 trans am ws6

just buy a LS1 car and build from there much cheaper and less expensive then u can use your v6 for your daily driver

blue
    1994 camaro

well i was actually going to go even cheaper than that and do the swap and buy my friends pick up truck for 500 $ as my DD lol

- the main reason why i dont want to just go out there and buy another car, besides for the price, this is my baby lol, its my first car and i plan on having it forever, or at least as long as i can keep it on the road.

Thread Information