Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro

Question More MUSCLE please

How can I convert my 5 speed 2002 V6 camaro, into a beast, or should I just buy a whole new engine (V8)

Somebody help me please.......... I just want to keep up with the rest of you guys

Right now its just not that quick, and it tops out at 120

Black
    99 SS

put an LS1 in the thing then if you have the money

Black
    97 Firebird

You'd be way better off modding your six than swapping for an LS1. Depending of course what you want out of it. If you really like your car, with a few go fast parts hitting low thirteens won't be a problem, 12's are also attainable, while keeping your cars driveability. It just depends on what you want to do, but I do admit, seeing 3.8 Fbodies in the 12's is awesome. However, if you're absolutely set on having a V8, then my advise would be to sell your car and buy one. V8 swaps are not only extremely costly, they are very difficult, and there is a very, very good chance you'll sacrifice your car's reliability in doing one, as it's not a simple swap by any means.

What plans do you have for your car?
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_hope
    You'd be way better off modding your six than swapping for an LS1. Depending of course what you want out of it. If you really like your car, with a few go fast parts hitting low thirteens won't be a problem, 12's are also attainable, while keeping your cars driveability. It just depends on what you want to do, but I do admit, seeing 3.8 Fbodies in the 12's is awesome. However, if you're absolutely set on having a V8, then my advise would be to sell your car and buy one. V8 swaps are not only extremely costly, they are very difficult, and there is a very, very good chance you'll sacrifice your car's reliability in doing one, as it's not a simple swap by any means.

Well I guess Im going to go ahead and keep my V6, I do like it alot, I just bought it. It is a 2002 with only 24,xxx miles on it, thanks for your input it has been helpful. Im just gonna start upgrading it. What do you know about Jet Performance chips, and hand held programmers (Predator), are they worth the money, do I need both, or do you know of some that are better?

quicky06
    from all my research i have found that the easiest and most cost effiecient way to get more power (especially form a 3800) is to go nitrous there is one meber who is almost in the 11's with nitrous. you can run a 75 shot with out much trouble if i remeber correctly. you can get a complete setup for 600 including TPS switch, window switch, and all the other goodies.

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by quicky06
    from all my research i have found that the easiest and most cost effiecient way to get more power (especially form a 3800) is to go nitrous there is one meber who is almost in the 11's with nitrous. you can run a 75 shot with out much trouble if i remeber correctly. you can get a complete setup for 600 including TPS switch, window switch, and all the other goodies.

Thanks alot man I'm definetely going to get the nitrous, I don't know much about nitrous, how safe is it? and what is a 75 shot?

Black
    97 Firebird

Nitrous is the most cost effective way to go fast with your car. It can be safe and reliable if you are running an appropriate shot, and all the safety gear, for example WOT switch, fuel pressure safety switch, blow down tube, and a window switch (because yours is a manual trans). Then you have to choose between a wet and dry kit. They both have advantages, however a dry kit with an appropriate shot on our cars is a little safer because you don't run the risk of puddling in your intake, which will cause a backfire. Go up to the nirous forum here, and do some searches, find some info, and ask questions you can't find with a search. There are firebirdv6.com also has good info, head over there and do a search, you will find a plethroa of info on beginning with nitrous.

Also, nitrous is a very big power adder, so there are things that you will want to have before you go right into spraying, like changing your plugs to one step colder. Bare minimum, get a cold air kit, and a catback exhaust first. Not only does it make it easier on your car to run much more power, but it will also help maximize the effect of the nitrous, so you're getting the best gain.

My advice? Nitrous is a great way to get your car quick without affecting your day to day drivability, gas milage or reliability with your car for little $$$ with amazing gains. I reccomend it, however, go out and get a cold air kit, and free flowing exhaust for your car first, and do some research on nitrous in the meantime. After you know a bit more and your car has basic intake and exhaust mods, go for the nitrous and really see what your 6 can do.

quicky06
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyThang
    Thanks alot man I'm definetely going to get the nitrous, I don't know much about nitrous, how safe is it? and what is a 75 shot?
    give or take the 75 shot can give you 75 horse power

go to www.harrisspeedworks.com the are a sponsor

Black
    97 Firebird

And generally speaking an 85 shot at the right bottle pressure, good conditions ect.. is supposed to net you around 85 hp to the rear wheels, not just flywheel.

quicky06
    And generally speaking an 85 shot at the right bottle pressure, good conditions ect.. is supposed to net you around 85 hp to the rear wheels, not just flywheel.
    well thats what matters

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I know it is costly, but what about taking it to a chevy dealership and getting the work done. It should be done right the first time, right? and Would I be getting my $$$'s worth?

quicky06
    i EXTREMLY doubt you can find a chevy dealer that will do an engine swap for ya
    even then it will cost a shit load

Black
    97 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7
    I know it is costly, but what about taking it to a chevy dealership and getting the work done. It should be done right the first time, right? and Would I be getting my $$$'s worth?
    Still, for the cost it wouldn't be worth it. It would be way cheaper to buy an LT1 Fbody for sure, and it would still be cheaper to get an 98+ Fbody than to account for all that would have to be replaced. Not to mention I think labour would absolutly kill you on a job like that. You'd be either a) better off modding your 6 for something a little different, or b) buying your 5.7 and going from there. Simply $$$ and reliability speaking it does make more sense

I swear it's just a v6!

Silver
    1997 Firebird V6

Ok.... you want more top end power? That would be a V8

Nitrous will not gain top end... don't do nitrous though.... because you seem to be new.

Intake and exhaust are a good start.... read up on here... there is a lot of into around
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 spinning, 110.95 mph
    n/a et & mph: 13.746, 96.38 mph
    Best 60 ft w/ et streets 1.584 spinning!
    check me out at www.bbbracing.com
    Beater - 2006 Mercedes E350 A7

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

K&N filter, Air Silencer delete, low restriction exhuast.Cat delete if your state does not have emmisions testing. Then a PCM tune. PCMforless is an outstanding value and makes a big gain on the dyno. -Tim

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I pretty much have most of that, but how and where do I get my PCM tuned at?

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

www.PCMforLess.com
    Tell Bryan Herter that Tim from the Hideout sent ya
    Since you have a 99+ MAF on your TB, you can have it ported and polished. If you elect to do this, let him know that you will be doing it while the PCM is out of car. He can also removing the coding for EGR, remove Top Speed Gov., add timing, delete rear O2 sensor coding, calibrate speedometer, raise rev limiter, correct tire sizing, heck.... he can do just about anything.
    Last edited by PaganEgyptian; 11-09-2005 at 02:19 PM.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

damn man! THANKS! You guys are really helpful!

Also man, how much is it to get my engine ported and polished?
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 11-09-2005 at 03:56 PM.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

definitely save your money for an ls1

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I'm thinking it will be too much cash for the swap. The next F-Body I buy will hopefully be a brand spankin new SS in like 2008 when I graduate.

I believe I can make my 6 fast too, one good thing about it is it'll be a little lighter (only because my engine is lighter) I want to do nos+turbo+more engine work, and down the road get the 5spd swap.

I'm getting advice while I wait to do it

Thread Information