Thread: engine build

Black
    1998 chevy camaro

engine build

Has anyone gone through with an engine build for the 3.8 if so about how much power can i be looking at for how much $$$

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I would start with a solid bottom end. A quality crank and forged rods and pistons. Have everything balanced. Make sure your machine shop has a good reputation and goes through your block and heads properly from hot tanking to cam bearings and everything in between. I would not go over 10.1 compression for street use and make sure you match the compression, cam and heads. Your HP with come from NOS so you can drive normally until you need a kick. I feel you can get 500 hp out of this type of build and expect to spend about 4k or so on the engine. Next you will need to build a solid trans and rear to handle the power. I would put aside another 4k for that combo. By the time you upgrade the suspension and a few other goodies like programming you should be at 10k total. Good luck with the project.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What is your budget, OP? Personally, I wouldn't spend more on suspension and engine mods than what the car was worth.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

2002ssslp is pretty got you going in the right direction. Another option over NOS is a super charger. You can pick up pretty cheap used ones sometimes or buy a new one that make more power from the after market. Hit up one of the gtp boards they have some crazy 3.8 builds on those.

But honestly you will probably never come close to recouping the money you put in it unless you just find a 3.8 fanatic.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black
    1998 chevy camaro

Thanx guys im considering going another route and trading it for a v8

Black
    1998 chevy camaro

By any chance do yall know where the amp gauge is supposed to run in that car

Thread Information