red
    93 T/A

Can a 3.4 V-6 be modified

I know everyone going to say just buy a fbody with a v-8 its easier and cheaper, but the idea is to have a little fun and to see if its possible to build and custom modify 3.4 to pull some horsepower . So does anybody have any ideas? all are welcome.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

a 3400? hmm it wont pull serious numbers, but it will pull higer. um miltzymotorsports.com is known for their 3800 and 3400.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

also look for a rsm or donkeypunch turbo or sc. thats about all i got.

In A Jesus Christ pose.... on the banks of the Thames with Ratty and Mole.

hunter Green
    92 Camaro RS 350 Special

There was a guy that pulled the heads and intakes off of another pontiac motor from a newer year grand prix or something like that and put them on the 3.4 and bossted the number considerably.... but i dont remember the details

green
    95 firebird

Besides bolt ons, there is one guy on another site I frequent building a custom turbo (which others have done) and there is the head swap, like mentioned, but that is also a lot of work, but does flow better then ported and polished iron heads. Ummm, you could also go nitrous.

Black
    1994 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy351w View Post
    There was a guy that pulled the heads and intakes off of another pontiac motor from a newer year grand prix or something like that and put them on the 3.4 and bossted the number considerably.... but i dont remember the details
    Woot

FWIW: I make as much power as a "stockish" 305 V8. Not bad for a 207cid V6 imo.

West Coast F-Bodies || WCFB Forums

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Nitrous

Quote Originally Posted by predaconssss View Post
    I know everyone going to say just buy a fbody with a v-8 its easier and cheaper, but the idea is to have a little fun and to see if its possible to build and custom modify 3.4 to pull some horsepower . So does anybody have any ideas? all are welcome.
    when i had a 3.4l v6 the biggest disapointment was nobody sold a kit for a supercharger

gold
    2000 honder accord

They can be built up, I forget what site it was but they specialize in F bodies, no mater Lt1 LS1 3400 or 3800. They built a 600 hp 3800 twin turbo car. So I assume that you can do the same with the 3400.

Is it really worth it? Thats my question. I have a V6 and have weighed the options and decided it is definately not worth the time, money and most of all work that it will take. Buy a Gtp if you want to make a 6cyl fast.

green
    95 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by andrew rs View Post
    They can be built up, I forget what site it was but they specialize in F bodies, no mater Lt1 LS1 3400 or 3800. They built a 600 hp 3800 twin turbo car. So I assume that you can do the same with the 3400.

Is it really worth it? Thats my question. I have a V6 and have weighed the options and decided it is definately not worth the time, money and most of all work that it will take. Buy a Gtp if you want to make a 6cyl fast.
    I think you are thinking of Intense Racing's TT 3.8 Firebird.

F-bodies came with a 3.4, different from the 3400. I was very disappointed to find out there was no S/C kit also. Its probably better for me in the long run though. I'm not tempted to spend my very little amount of cash on my daily driver to make it unnecessarily faster and probably more unreliable.

Black
    1994 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMan View Post
    I think you are thinking of Intense Racing's TT 3.8 Firebird.

F-bodies came with a 3.4, different from the 3400. I was very disappointed to find out there was no S/C kit also. Its probably better for me in the long run though. I'm not tempted to spend my very little amount of cash on my daily driver to make it unnecessarily faster and probably more unreliable.
    the 3.4 RWD is not very different from the 3400 FWD motor.

I am proof of that <-- 3400 heads/intake/fuel

Silver
    1996 Camaro 3.8L

You need to talk to a man who goes by FunkZ over at Full throttle V6. He'll have more than a few suggestions on what to do to a 3.4L...

Black
    1994 Camaro

honestly -- fullthrottlev6 is disappointing. its full of people who all have the same ideas and all of them arent very out-of-the-box. from them its: port, polish, cam, fuel, etc.

if you stick with the iron heads you will never see very good results from teh 3.4L RWD engine. THEY are the limiting factor on the motor.

green
    95 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Black34v6 View Post
    honestly -- fullthrottlev6 is disappointing. its full of people who all have the same ideas and all of them arent very out-of-the-box. from them its: port, polish, cam, fuel, etc.

if you stick with the iron heads you will never see very good results from teh 3.4L RWD engine. THEY are the limiting factor on the motor.
    Your post is stickied in the 60* forum, isn't it?
    There are also a few turbo 3.4 projects currently going on there. If custom turbo cars are in the box, I'd love to hear your plans for your car. To each his own I suppose.

Silver
    1996 Camaro 3.8L

Quote Originally Posted by Black34v6 View Post

That may be true, but it has alot more V6 info than, say, an LS1 forum...just trying to be of some help...I have the 3.8L myself so I can't really say too much in regards to the 3.4L.

Oh well, good luck!

black
    96 v6 firebird

You could also go on to firebirdv6.com There will be alot of people to help you out there.

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

I am in the process of building a 3.4/3500 hybrid. I'm expecting at least 225hp N/A, and the boost is going back on.

You can find info on my build in various v6 sites, I'm Forced_Firebird or ForcedFirebird at them. 60DegreeV6 is a good place to start, FullThrottleV6 has a 60* section, as well as Thirdgen.org and Camarov6 and Fierbirdv6.com.

the 3.4 RWD is not very different from the 3400 FWD motor.

I am proof of that <-- 3400 heads/intake/fuel
    The tops are the same, but the blocks are quite different. As I'm sure you know the 3400 has a roller cam, opposite starter location, main bearing priority oiling, among a few other differences. A 3400 can be bolted into an f-body, but it's quite a task. BUT like SBC's, lots of 60* parts are interchangeable.
    3.4/3500 Twin Turbo almost complete
    I have CNC machines, contact me if you need something. 3500 top ends available.

-John

Black
    1994 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMan View Post
    Your post is stickied in the 60* forum, isn't it?
    There are also a few turbo 3.4 projects currently going on there. If custom turbo cars are in the box, I'd love to hear your plans for your car. To each his own I suppose.
    yea its sitckied on that forum. if i had my preference it wouldn't be. but the people that own that board, when asked to remove the information so i could put it in one place only (my site - because it is my info), banned my username and told me to gtfo.

so personally. ftv6 can bite me. lots of other boards are way better than that one. if you listen to the ppl on ftv6, you will never get any performance out of your car. again. all they care about is doing the usual crap - limiting the true performance of the 3.4L rwd.

to forced_firebird:

again, i said it "wasnt that different". i never said ti was exactly the same.

to everyone else: this is the kind of mentality on fullthrottlev6.com. they cant contribute information, they have to come into a thread and prove that they are better than you or that they know all by pointing out information that is not relevant to the dicussion.

this is why i dont like fullthrottlev6.com - stay away from it. its a useless board.

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

I agree, black, they don't appreciate the 3.4, or any 60* for that matter at FTV6. I try to be helpful, though, and answer all the questions to the best of my knowledge - even if it's redundant - just because I would like to help the 660 community as much as possible.

green
    95 firebird

Interesting.

Thread Information