red
    02 firebird

02 firdbird v6 in snow?

are firebird with tcs good in the snow because its my only car and im j/w

White
    stolen by "Josh Steel"

Keep a level head and you'll be fine. I spent 2 years in the rockys in Montana.
    I have an SS with 275's all around and the best winter tiers made are only all seasons. If you can get good tiers (Skinny and made for snow) you should have little problem. It will still be harder to start than a front wheel drive minivan. But your return is that if you start to slide in a turn (Unlike a front wheel drive) you still have options to not wrek your car. you can put the ass end where ever you want to (as long as you keep a level head and actuly know how to drive a rear wheel drive vehical) Test it out in the parking lot is a tried and true method as well as a lot of fun (get comfortable with out risk of hiting anything in a desirted parking lot at night)

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Get a set of winter tires! It's the only way to make it up hills decent. I run 225/55/16 in the winter on stock 16x8 Z-28 wheels. I've ran a couple of sets of Bizzak MZ-01's and they had great traction in everything. The only down side was cornering and dry traction sucked. Now I'm running Good Year Eagle Ultra-Grip GW3's. They are much better for dry and cornering, but not as good in the ice and deep snow as the blizzaks. It is deffinitly worth the cost of getting a second set of wheels and tires for the cold/snow. I love winter driving!

green
    95 firebird

I don't have TCS and I have all-season tires and I survived the winter last year, but I did slide occassionally. Nothing big, but there is always potential that the fishtail will be just enough to tap into a pole, or worse if you are going fast. You have to drive extremely carefully. I would not attempt going up a steep snow-covered hill at all.

with a V6 its more of a Bi*** if you dont have a posi unit in the back, otherwise that leaves you with one tire for traction in the rear and its no fun. If you can get a junker do it, otherwise drive safe, ride the bus when you can, get the best winter tires you can find. You wont be able to plow through much of anything on the road.

also get sand bags, about 250 lbs for the back to level out the car

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I only put about 120# in the back and that seems to be perfect. Stock height I would go through about 10" no problems. Now I can do about 7" without issues. I just have to careful of where the plow goes throgh for I don't get hung up on the frame or rip the front end off.

only reason i went for 250, when i had a v6 i had it on scales and that evened it out so the front didnt have more weight than the back

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I just went by how much the back end dropped down with added weight and how good of traction I had. When the blizzaks were new I didn't even need weight in it they were so good in snow!

Adam
    sandbags do wonders i never threw em in my car last year. If you dont drive like a dumbass you should be fine. Just drive according to road conditions. Id recommend a junker if possible

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

I used 200lbs of bagged play sand from wally world and used a set of 225/60R16 all season tires and did extremely well. Just stay level headed and take your time. Of course I have LSD, cant say for a open diff system like older V6's have.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

i used to drive my 87 fire chicken thru the snow........about a 150lbs of sand in the rear well and studdded tires in the rear and that thing was a TANK .....snows are most important...get some cheap 16 inch steel wheels and snows....just rears will get u by but ud be better off with all 4

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

oh yeah...and we avg over a 100 inches of snow here in roch ny.....lake effect baby....and thats measured at the airport 20 miles from the lake...im 2 miles away...i drove that car thru over a ft of snow many times....i wouldnt recommmend driving an ls1 thru the snow here though...even with snows...would be waaaaay to easy to fuck up with all that torqe

Thread Information