Thread: Watts Link Help

Red
    2000 Trans AM

Watts Link Help

I have a 00 TA. I currently have a BMR Panhard Bar on it and heard about these Watts Links. Looks much more rigid and better for the suspension...my main question I guess is does the Watts Link replace the panhard bar, or it is used in conjunction with the panhard bar.

Also what are some reccomendations are far a which one to buy.

Thanks in Advance

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the watts link replaces the panhard bar. go to stranoparts.com and you will see them for sale..they are made by fays2 and one of the best..but they are pricey at 625ish

Red
    2000 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    the watts link replaces the panhard bar. go to stranoparts.com and you will see them for sale..they are made by fays2 and one of the best..but they are pricey at 625ish
    Thats exactly where I was and saw the price. Didnt know too much about the Links so I figured I would try to find something maybe a little cheaper but still carry great quality and performance.

Thanks,

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

What other suspension mods have you done, so far?

Red
    2000 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    What other suspension mods have you done, so far?
    BMR Panhard Bar (which I am trying to sell) UMI Control Arms, Hollow tubular sway arms, subframe connectors, torque arm...y? Will the Watts Link replace any of these as well?

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rockyiv806 View Post
    BMR Panhard Bar (which I am trying to sell) UMI Control Arms, Hollow tubular sway arms, subframe connectors, torque arm...y? Will the Watts Link replace any of these as well?
    No, just trying to get an idea where you're at with your mods.
    Your not still on factory shocks are you?
    If so I would upgrade shocks before getting the watts link.

Red
    2000 Trans AM

Really? The shocks. I guess I never thought about that. The car only 17.5k miles on it so the shocks are still in great shape.

I guess I am naive because I thought shocks got replaced when they either went out or if you lowered the car.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

Yeah, if your still on the factory shocks I would definitely upgrade to Bilsteins, or Koni SA's!

White
    2001 Z28

A Watts linkage completely replaces the Panhard bar and panhard bar brace. A PHB is a cheap, simply device for "locating" the body relative to the axle. The issue is that there are inherent compromises in the geometry of a PHB due to how they are mounted.

Basically, a PHB moves in an arc with the set end on the axle. As such the body moves left and right as it moves up and down. You get a jacking effect on the body of the car, and driving dynamics that make the car feel less than stable because a large amount of the mass of the car is kind of wobbling around. The idea of a PHB is to keep the body in position vs. the axle. While a PHB is better than say a 4-link like an older Mustang or G-body uses, it's still not great.

Watts links are not new, and in fact a lot of solid axle cars have them today. Crown Vic's, even PT Cruisers. The original Mazda RX7 in 1978-1985 had a Watts. Even Dodge Durango's because they make the back of the car much more stable.

Here are some quotes from customers who have installed Watts links on their cars (and I have one on my Camaro too):

"This thing works like a charm. It has smoothed my ride and solidified my rear. When driving on the freeway, the usual uneven pavement, potholes, railroad tracks, etc. now my rear doesn't "clunk" or break loose at all. When making turns, it feels like it's on rails. It's hard to fully explain, but it was an instant noticeable difference"

"With the stock panhard, it was hard to describe how the car felt, it seemed like it needed stiffer springs or a bigger bar to keep the rear more level, but it was already oversteering. Talking with Sam early last year, it seemed like it was unloading the inside rear tire, so I reduced the rear bar from the stock 24 to his 22 & it was more predictable with much less oversteer, even though it obviously still had the body roll. Now that unloading feeling is gone & all I feel is a slight weight transfer.
    Drove it 70mi. today & no rattles, clunks or odd noises.
    Wish I had one 2 years ago when I first started modifying the suspension."
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Even though the price might be intimidating, it's well worth the price; it's that good!

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    Even though the price might be intimidating, it's well worth the price; it's that good!
    You have one Blue? I'd like to know what people who have the Watts think of it. Pro's con's what type of use does it see?

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    You have one Blue? I'd like to know what people who have the Watts think of it. Pro's con's what type of use does it see?
    Yeah I've got one!
    As far as Con's, I thought it was a slight pain in the ASS to install and it's not as simplistic as a PHB. So you're not going to install one in 10minutes. But believe me, even though it was a slight pain to install the end results were well worth it. Pro's, the rear of the car is so well planted in the corners now. Even driving down less then perfect country roads the rear of the car is much more stable. One word comes to mind after my first good drive; WOW !

My car is a daily driver and isn't a track car, but I exploit every opportunity to enjoy a corner or curve in the road, so I don't drive slow!
    IMO, the Fays2 watts link is worth it even on the street!
    Last edited by Blue28; 08-16-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Thread Information