Black
    2000 Z28 M6

UMI sway bar package install concerns...

Purchased UMI sway bar package and was installing the front one, i had literally no threads to start tightening the nuts on the end-links.. Is this a common problem with these bars? Anyone else run into this issue?

We resolved it by putting a ratchet strap around the lower A-arm and the sway bar and tightened it down to compress the inner bushings on the end-links and then it went right on...

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    Purchased UMI sway bar package and was installing the front one, i had literally no threads to start tightening the nuts on the end-links.. Is this a common problem with these bars? Anyone else run into this issue?

We resolved it by putting a ratchet strap around the lower A-arm and the sway bar and tightened it down to compress the inner bushings on the end-links and then it went right on...

Every end link assembly is like that,you wouldn't want the bushings to compress under hand pressure what would happen to them with the weight of the vehicle on them.

I usually put my jack under the bar and lift it slightly starting one side then going to the other side and doing that one completely.

As I tighten it I count the turns so I can match the other side when I get back over to it.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    Every end link assembly is like that,you wouldn't want the bushings to compress under hand pressure what would happen to them with the weight of the vehicle on them.

I usually put my jack under the bar and lift it slightly starting one side then going to the other side and doing that one completely.

As I tighten it I count the turns so I can match the other side when I get back over to it.
    Yup even the off the shelf Moog HD end links are that way but I'm strong enough to get the nut started by hand..lol

No pun intended..

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I installed my STRANO bars with no such issues, the front tires were on ramps and had plenty of end-link to spare on both sides.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    I installed my STRANO bars with no such issues, the front tires were on ramps and had plenty of end-link to spare on both sides.

^^ Weight of the car compresses the suspension on ramps -- that's why you had no issues.

As stated, there is no issue with the UMI bar -- it is just how all front sway bars are. I use an undercar stand to raise the ends of the front sway bar in order to start the nut on our car.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I had the same problem, i was using a 4 point lift but the sway bars are designed to be installed WITH THE SUSPENSION LOADED.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    ^^ Weight of the car compresses the suspension on ramps -- that's why you had no issues.

As stated, there is no issue with the UMI bar -- it is just how all front sway bars are. I use an undercar stand to raise the ends of the front sway bar in order to start the nut on our car.
    suspension was fully loaded... car was placed on cement bags

i dont understand how putting a jack under anything would compress the fittings? i could see it if the bolts were on it but that was the whole problem...

FYI, car already had strano springs/koni shocks on it before doing the sway bars if that matters

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Most installs are done with the front of the car in the air. The front suspension then hangs and the sway bar end link bolts are barely long enough to start the nut. This is why you have to place a jack under the lower control arm to lift the suspension up, thereby allowing the end link bolt to extend through the arm.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Most installs are done with the front of the car in the air. The front suspension then hangs and the sway bar end link bolts are barely long enough to start the nut. This is why you have to place a jack under the lower control arm to lift the suspension up, thereby allowing the end link bolt to extend through the arm.
    i see what you're saying now, in that case it wouldnt compress the bushings at all but rather change the A-arm geometry.

we tried that too, jacking up the car again, jacking up the A arms, blah blah.. I mean everything worked out fine but it was a PITA initially.. i dont know why it turned out like that

we literally tried every angle, made sure everything was cleaned out of the old hole in the A-arm, etc. doesnt make much sense

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

i see what you're saying now, in that case it wouldnt compress the bushings at all but rather change the A-arm geometry.

we tried that too, jacking up the car again, jacking up the A arms, blah blah.. I mean everything worked out fine but it was a PITA initially.. i dont know why it turned out like that

we literally tried every angle, made sure everything was cleaned out of the old hole in the A-arm, etc. doesnt make much sense
    if i remember correctly when I put my sway bar in I connected the ends first then the bushing mounts with their longer bolts were easier (suspension was compressed/on ramps)

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    if i remember correctly when I put my sway bar in I connected the ends first then the bushing mounts with their longer bolts were easier (suspension was compressed/on ramps)
    we probably should have tried this..

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

we probably should have tried this..
    lol, i hate that feeling. I know when I disconnect my sway bar mount bushings to clean them off and relube them every year or so (polyurithane), I dont have any problem with just leaving the end links attached with the sway bar hanging there.

Since the bar is so large this is correct, however once you get them started then they are fine. But yes they are a bit tricky to start.

Thread Information