Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tourque arm

artic white
    1998 camaro z28

tourque arm

hey guys im looking for the pros and cons of a tourque arm! i picked up a steve spohn tourque arm, its the one that does not bolt in the tail shaft of the trans, it also has the loop and its adjustable! but i am wondering if it will rub on the road on pot holes and man holes ect! i bought this as a final sale cause the car it was in was being parted out! so i jumped on it for 250 bucks its hella cheap! btw i have all the other mods but a tourque arm! i have weld in subframe connectors and panhard bar and lcas, the reason why i am wondering if it will rub on stuff its cause my car is lowered about 1'' i have trouble going into my driveway with my y-pipe it rubs nasty. so i am wondering if that loop will sit to low and rub against the pavement! thanx for the tips guys i sure will appreciate them!

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by rigo_z28er View Post
    ...i picked up a steve spohn tourque arm, its the one that does not bolt in the tail shaft of the trans, it also has the loop and its adjustable...
    Hmmm.... sounds like one similar to what Mark@KYspeed.com sells, that I believe comes with a different crossmember that it bolts to.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You shouldn't have a problem with it rubbing, if installed correctly. As Mastercraft brought out, I don't know if it will mount to a stock crossmember or not.

artic white
    1998 camaro z28

okay so this should bolt right into a m6 right?? i attached the pic here maybe that should help out!!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

that does not bolt to the tranny cross member. You have to remove the metal plate (i can't remember the name) that is between the tranny and the rear end by the driveshaft. You remove that plate and the new crossmember attaches in place of the plate. I don't think it will cause any fitment issues.

If you need a pic of the plate i can snap one for you. I believe the stock Y piece of the exhaust is right next to it. you will next to readjust the pinion angle after you install it or your driveshaft will start to vibrate.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 03-11-2011 at 06:06 AM.

artic white
    1998 camaro z28

jayta98 can you please take a snap shot it will be very helpful, since this is my first time installing one of these tourque arms! thanx

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

the piece jay is talking about it the stock torque arm, remove that.

that torque arm in the pic is what replaces what you just removed except that one wont bolt to the tranny like the stock one did, it bolts to the bottom of the car (its shorter)

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

JayTA98 is correct -- this style torque arm is called a "tunnel mount". There is a metal plate under your car called a "tunnel brace" that you will remove and bolt the new cross piece with the drive shaft loop in its place. The tunnel mount is designed more for bite at the track than its street manners. We have a UMI tunnel mount on our car and it transmits an appreciable amount of noise into the cabin. After intall, you will also want to adjust your pinion angle to approximately -2.0 to -2.5 degrees as you have an M6. On an A4, you would set it to -1.0 to -1.5 degrees. Make sure you do this with the weight of the car on the wheels with the car level and suspension settled, otherwise you will get a false reading.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    JayTA98 is correct -- this style torque arm is called a "tunnel mount". There is a metal plate under your car called a "tunnel brace" that you will remove and bolt the new cross piece with the drive shaft loop in its place. The tunnel mount is designed more for bite at the track than its street manners. We have a UMI tunnel mount on our car and it transmits an appreciable amount of noise into the cabin. After intall, you will also want to adjust your pinion angle to approximately -2.0 to -2.5 degrees as you have an M6. On an A4, you would set it to -1.0 to -1.5 degrees. Make sure you do this with the weight of the car on the wheels with the car level and suspension settled, otherwise you will get a false reading.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

also you have to remove the driveshaft to install your new setup. You need to feed the driveshaft thru the tunnel brace.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 03-11-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    also you have to remove the driveshaft to install ur new setup. You need to feed the driveshaft thru the tunnel brace.

Exactly. If you have an extra set of hands, you can simply unbolt the driveshaft from the differential yoke and then carefully slide the mount down the shaft. This way you will not have to pull the front yoke out of the transmission -- and no fluid drip.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Exactly. If you have an extra set of hands, you can simply unbolt the driveshaft from the differential yoke and then carefully slide the mount down the shaft. This way you will not have to pull the front yoke out of the transmission -- and no fluid drip.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You may also have to "massage" the underside of your car to create clearance. With tunnel mounts, the torque arm can get VERY close to hitting the underside of the vehicle. Even more so when hitting bumps in the road causing the suspension to shift.

If you go over a bump and hear a "thud" after install, most likely that's your torque arm hitting the car

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    Click for full size

Click for full size
    nice rear end set up!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You may also have to "massage" the underside of your car to create clearance. With tunnel mounts, the torque arm can get VERY close to hitting the underside of the vehicle. Even more so when hitting bumps in the road causing the suspension to shift.

If you go over a bump and hear a "thud" after install, most likely that's your torque arm hitting the car
    yup. I tried to upgrade my tranny crossmember and TA. The TA i purchased goes from the rear end all the way to the new crossmember. The TA was hitting the underside of the car all the time. my car was a DD so tried to massage the area but it was too much to do. I decided to sell the tranny crossmember and keep the TA upgrade.

I think you will be fine with this new setup. If you do have to massage the underside it should be minimal since the TA doesn't go all the way to the front like the OEM one.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    nice rear end set up!
    Not my car just used google to get the images.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

You are going to remove the black tunnel brace pictured here and put the new one there like in 02Sweet's pic.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    Not my car just used google to get the images.
    oh ok lol. Thanks.

artic white
    1998 camaro z28

okay guys i installed the tourque arm on my car today! and to my surprise my car did not have the ''tunnel brace'' were the loop bolts in to, but after i was done my car looks like its droped from one side, it looks like if i do not have a spring and or a strut on the right side of the car, i will post up pics tomorrow wen its sunny that way we could have a really good look at the car!
    Last edited by rigo_z28er; 03-11-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Is it on uneven ground? Maybe when you lifted the car, something got stuck. If so, the first time you driver it, it should straighten itself out.

A torque arm will have no effect on ride height.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information