Thread: torx screws?

silver, black
    01 vette, 95 t/a

torx screws?

has anyone here had any trouble removing the torx screws on top of their drivers side shock mounts? i can't get mine out. i've gone through a couple of bits already and got some stronger ones, and those want to strip out the screws. i hate these things! i have an impact driver, but they still won't budge. if i ever get these things out, i'm putting something else back in. any suggestions?

silver, black
    01 vette, 95 t/a

'95 t/a

the car is a '95 t/a btw.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

can't say i ever have. then again, i use an impact gun to do it with.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

silver, black
    01 vette, 95 t/a

these bolts stipped one of my impact torx bits, did i mention i hate these things. i don't know why gm used these things. i'm sure they wanted more clearance for the master cyl. butt damn they could used something better. there's plenty of room to just use the six sided bolts they used on the other side.

If the bolt heads are already damaged and you are having no luck with the torx bits (wondering if you used the correct size) then you may need to grind the heads off or weld something to them now.

I know the driver side requires you to move the brake cylinder out of the way to get to them.

I don't remember now but I may have soaked them with PB Blaster before the job. I realize you're trying to pull the front shock cartridge (struts). Mine where a little tough to get out but nothing like what you are describing. I agree, it is a bad design and can't understand why just two had the torx heads.

Wait until you pull the strut out and see what the water damage has done to the top of the shock stud. Here's a quick pic of what mine looked like:

http://i9.tinypic.com/4i45k3r.jpg

silver, black
    01 vette, 95 t/a

damn, thats nasty. i've got the right size, they fit snug as a bug. i'll probably just drill them out. did you put torx heads back in or use something else?

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

I used the same bolts as the the rest when I put everything back together.

This was when I change my springs again I won't even have to loosen the brake master cylinder.

silver, black
    01 vette, 95 t/a

yeah, i just ground off the torx heads, i'll get some normal bolts when it all goes back together, thanx for ya'lls input. should be able to go for a drive after the daytona 500. well maybe, the car is old and there may be more stuck crap.

Thread Information