Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

torque arm nightmare

just got my poly torque arm and tranny mount. tranny mount is easy just not the torque arm

some one please tell me a good method to do this, or a tip or trick or somethin. i get really close, but then somethin dont line up or when i do get it lined up, i cant get the bolts by rear end in and when i jack up the body of the car so i can get the bolts in, it moves the torque arm to where i cant get them in. PLEASE HELP
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Do you have the the car resting on the wheels, or do you just have the body jacked up with no weight on the rearend?

Silver
    2002 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic_ws6 View Post
    just got my poly torque arm and tranny mount. tranny mount is easy just not the torque arm

some one please tell me a good method to do this, or a tip or trick or somethin. i get really close, but then somethin dont line up or when i do get it lined up, i cant get the bolts by rear end in and when i jack up the body of the car so i can get the bolts in, it moves the torque arm to where i cant get them in. PLEASE HELP
    trent, damn first thing that i've heard you havent been able to do yourself. lol. but whats this gunna do to your car?

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA View Post
    Do you have the the car resting on the wheels, or do you just have the body jacked up with no weight on the rearend?
    i have the front on jackstands but the back wheels are sitting on blocks so i can get under there

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by jlindelow View Post
    trent, damn first thing that i've heard you havent been able to do yourself. lol. but whats this gunna do to your car?
    its gonna stiffin up the car a bit.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

What I did was take one part of the TA mount off and ground the rivets off them I took a very sharp chisel and did the other two on the car... It was an extreme bitch

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

I believe all 4 tires should be in the air to line it up and you will deff feel a difference once you get it on will make the ride much smoother

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

i have the front on jackstands but the back wheels are sitting on blocks so i can get under there
    The rear suspension needs to be preloaded. I'm not sure what you mean by blocks. I'm guessing that you do have it preloaded? Are you installing an all new Torque Arm or just the bushing for the mounts?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Had to drop the driveshaft to change the rear u-joint a few weeks ago -- needed to unbolt the torque arm to get the shaft out of the car and had the same problem going back together.

With the car on a lift, I used an undercar stand (the kind with a screwjack) to raise the differential in the back. This pushes the nose down and the torque arm and bolts fell right into place.

I assume you can do the same with a floor jack. I would support the car under the rear "frame rails" with jackstands -- not under the axle. This will allow the differential to pivot.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I didnt have my rear end on a jack mayb thats why mine was such a PITA. I just had two jackstands on the unibody then sat the torque arm on the rear without any bolts then i had to use a pair of vice grips to hold the bushing and arm together while getting my arm up there to bolt it in before it was completely tight i could adjust the TA by pulling it back and forth to line up the back bolt not fun but it can be done.
    Dan

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

thanks guys

Silver
    2002 LS1

its gonna stiffin up the car a bit.
    oh cool, so after your gears and that, how much worse can you make the roanoke police look?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

The rear suspension needs to be preloaded. I'm not sure what you mean by blocks. I'm guessing that you do have it preloaded? Are you installing an all new Torque Arm or just the bushing for the mounts?
    Well since the OP has got it good to go, i will say you CANNOT have any load on the rear end when you install the bushing or you will break a. fingers. b. hand c. arms. or d. torque arm.

The rear end must be able to rock up and down.

This is with a non adjustable STOCK style torque arm..

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Well since the OP has got it good to go, i will say you CANNOT have any load on the rear end when you install the bushing or you will break a. fingers. b. hand c. arms. or d. torque arm.

The rear end must be able to rock up and down.

This is with a non adjustable STOCK style torque arm..
    When I had a stock torque arm, I had taken it in and out a couple of times and have always had the rear end preloaded. I still have all my fingers and never sustained any injuries. Whatever though...

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by jlindelow View Post
    oh cool, so after your gears and that, how much worse can you make the roanoke police look?
    haha pretty bad, you saw how i left him in his hemi charger cop car like he was sittin still, and he was WOT hahah (wide open throttle, jordan in case you didnt know)

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

When I had a stock torque arm, I had taken it in and out a couple of times and have always had the rear end preloaded. I still have all my fingers and never sustained any injuries. Whatever though...
    Define "preloaded"

Silver
    2002 LS1

haha pretty bad, you saw how i left him in his hemi charger cop car like he was sittin still, and he was WOT hahah (wide open throttle, jordan in case you didnt know)
    lol yeah still learning this shit. but yeah it was pretty funny seeing him turn his lights off and turn around, i bet he felt like a little bitch

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Ive always done them with all 4 wheels on the ground(we have a pit). Obviously you will need to grind the rivets off of the stock mount to get the bushing out, but after that its fairly simple, just make sure you use plenty of the included lube on the torque arm and the bushing or it will be a major PITA to slide it on. BTW, I always slide the bushing on then with the "inner" mount on the tranny I pull the torque arm down into the mount then I slide the "outer" part of the mount in and slide the bolt in.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

ive done it in my garage many times now. I used jack stands under k member and under rear axle on both sides. i loosened both bolts through the rear end and was able to slide the front one out. For the back one, I had to move the jack stands from the rear axles and put them under the jacking points in the unibody on both sides in front of the rear wheels. Then the rear end dropped enough to get the bolt up and out. To put it back in, keep the stands under the jacking points, and then persuade it back in place with a rubber mallet. You could use a large screwdriver to help you if you need to. I haven't needed that yet. Then move the jack stands back under axle, and tighten everything up. Hope this helps, cause ive been typing for ten damn minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I used jackstands in the standard jacking locations in the rear (unibody) to raise the car. Putting a floor jack under the rear diff cover area of the rear and raising/lowering the jack will rotate the axle and get the torque arm where you need it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information