Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Question Suspension Diagnostics Assistance Needed!

Hello LS1 Owners and the likes!

Yesterday I was in my Expedition on my way to pick up my parents. While on the Freeway, I drove right behind a Red WS6 Trans Am! What a beauty! I could not stop staring! Funny thing is that I have the exact same one parked in my garage that is decked out beyond that one! Ha ha ha ha!

I liked the 4th generation Trans Am so much that I purchased another one today at a used car dealership for $9,200.

I test drove it yesterday and only noticed that the vehicle steering leaned towards the the right. Felt that an alignment would be the fixed. At any rate, as I was pulling into the gas station on my way home from the dealership, I heard squeaking noises from the rear. I was disappointed at the sound of this and will submitting the vehicle back to the car lot for repairs. The vehicle has 110,000 miles on it, though still looks very sharp for a 2000 Trans Am.

Now, as I forced the TA rear end up and down, the squeak is triggered. What do you possibly think is defective: Shocks, the Struts, possibly the spring. With me alone, I was not able to really audibly decipher whether it was coming from the left or even the right side..... sound to come from right in the rear middle.

Your diagnose would be most welcome and very appreaciative. I want the used car repair/mechanic to properly fix the problem when I drop it off. Used car dealership typically want to rid the vehicle off of their lot ASAP and wipe their hands clean. According to their contract, they only cover engine and transmission for 30 days or 1,000 miles.

Thank you for your assistance,
    Matthew
    P.S. Brakes, parts of the engine, exhaust I can do well, but when it comes to vehicle suspension diagnostics, I'm a fish out of water. Thanks.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Subscribed. I have the same squeaking you're describing.

Red
    2002 T/A

Mine has the same problem from time to time. It goes away when it rains or I drive through a large puddle. I'm willing to bet it's a rubber bushing or upper shock mount. I'll know for sure when I install my UMI panhard bar and lower control arms. I'm just waiting on my lowering springs and new shocks to come in. It's nothing to worry about, but I agree it is quite annoying. If that doesn't take care of it then it has to be the sway bar bushings. try spraying some silicone lube in a few of your bushings to see if it helps for a while.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

check the panhard rod and trailing arms.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    check the panhard rod and trailing arms.
    Does anybody know of a diagram or anything that labels all these suspension parts??? I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Red
    2002 T/A

On the control arm pic the the control arm is number 3. It has bushings on both ends. On the shock pic the rubber strut mounts are numbered 3 and 5. The sway bar bushings are at the end of the line that goes from the number 2 nut up to the bushing. You might want to raise the vehicle and support it on jack stands before doing any work. If you remove anything yourself remember to do one side at a time.
    Last edited by LS1_TA_2002; 07-29-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Cool thanks! Are the panhard rod and trailing arms in those pictures?

Red
    2002 T/A

The panhard bar is number 5 in this pic. Control arms are another name for trailing arms.
    Last edited by LS1_TA_2002; 07-29-2007 at 04:11 PM. Reason: I said number 4 but it's number 5

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002 View Post
    The panhard bar is number 4 in this pic. Control arms are another name for trailing arms.
    Sweet. Thanks alot.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Lubricating the Bushing

Thanks for the suggestion. A coworker of my mentioned about the rubber bushings as well. I will spray some lubricant on and test the vehicle again. Whatever it is, I have to figure it out soon and return it to the Used Car Lot to have them do the repair soon before this 30 day is up on the vehicle.

Thanks LS Buddy!
    Matthew

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Post Squeak Resolution

Hello Buddy,

Were you able to resolve your squeaking from our LS1 Friend of this thread? I'm going to try a little lubricant on the rubber as suggested.

Matthew

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

The Suspension System

thank you for sharing the suspension diagrams. Are these general suspension images or are the exact diagrams Belong to Trans Am...

By the way, you mentioned struts.... who do LS1 TAs have? Struts in the Front and Shocks in the back? Or Struts on all sides?

Thanks and take it easy Man!
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002 View Post
    On the control arm pic the the control arm is number 3. It has bushings on both ends. On the shock pic the rubber strut mounts are numbered 3 and 5. The sway bar bushings are at the end of the line that goes from the number 2 nut up to the bushing. You might want to raise the vehicle and support it on jack stands before doing any work. If you remove anything yourself remember to do one side at a time.

Red
    2002 T/A

These are factory firebird diagrams and yes I meant shocks. Hope it helps.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

nws The Rear Creaking Noise--------------

Well buddy.....

Here are the results.

The mechanic replaced---- I don't even know what in the hell it's called but the two little arms are not even in your diagrams for me to point out.

After 7 years of environmental wear and tear, all TAs will likely have this creaking problem in the rear suspension from these little arms. I would say these little support arms looks like mini Shocks without any springs in them. On there tip are urethane pushings that become brittle from the wear and causes the creaking noise when rear downward/upward pressure is applied.

See if you can locate an image of it since you have access to the other ones.

It's about ye 7 inches long with bushings, washers, etc.

I'm sure with a little grease like you mentioned would have done the trick, though I don't know if these brittle urethanes would in time fall apart.

And you are right, driving through water etc. would probably eliminate the noise for those bushings are lubricate.

Matthew
    P.S. After bringing home the vehicle, I noticed that it leaked minor oil. Not sure from what part of the engine but will figure it out. If I can do the job myself and eliminate the mechanic, I will. The vehicle is abuse at the mechanic with the windows left down all day and grease fingers all over the car.

Red
    2002 T/A

Is it this?

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up GM Modifications

LS Buddy!

That's it. What is that part called? There are many urethane bushings in there as you can see?

They replaced it without any charge to me, though I would like to find out how much that part cost. It's too unfortunate that these 4th generation Fbodies entail too many defects through wear and tear.

Just last week I was discussing with my Dad about the Plastic headlight plastic headlight gear that is screwed up on his 89 Firebird. Evidently these headlight gears will go bad on all Firebirds through time because the teath of them will be worn out. In 89, GM also had the automatic plastic trunk lock down. These plastic lock down were poorly supported and came loose from the trunk after 3 or 4 years.

Unfortunately, I don't think that 89 Firebird has the problem with the suspension part that I am having.

It's too unfortunate that GM did not resolve the headlight gear issue with their 4th Generation, though they did take care of the trunk latch.

Matthew

Red
    2002 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    LS Buddy!

That's it. What is that part called? Matthew
    Sway bar link.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Thank you

Gracias Amigo! That's it, the Sway bar link. Evidentally those bars entail much movement as the vehicle girates up and down to create constrant friction against each other.

Matthew

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Your Diagrams

As I'm sitting here go over the diagrams and round filing the printout for future references. I was thinking. Where did you pull these diagrams from? Are they from Chilton's?

Thanks LS1 Buddy!

Matthew

Red
    2002 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    As I'm sitting here go over the diagrams and round filing the printout for future references. I was thinking. Where did you pull these diagrams from? Are they from Chilton's?

Thanks LS1 Buddy!

Matthew
    No they are GM factory service manual pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information