Thread: Suspension

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Suspension

I have OEM Shocks and Hotchkins Springs, Poly Bump Stops and SFC's.

Even before I changed my springs it has always seem that if I hit a bump in the road it would sound and feel like a hard hit coming from the rear. I know our cars aren't know for there smooth and quiet rides but this is something else. My buddies 99 is smooth and never makes a sound.

It's like I hit a curb going 30 in a truck.

What would smooth this out?

I already have plans for LCA, PH Bar and TA from UMI. Heavy Duty Shocks?

RED
    2002 Camaro SS

What year is the car and how many miles are on it. How long have you had the car? Did the noise start before or after the aftermarket springs?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Check for loose or broken bolts. Another thing to look at is whether the exhaust is hitting.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by u118224 View Post
    What year is the car and how many miles are on it. How long have you had the car? Did the noise start before or after the aftermarket springs?
    98' T/A current has 136k, bought it with 108k 2 yrs ago. Car has always done this since I got it. Springs have been on for only 2 months, SFC's have been on for a yr and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Check for loose or broken bolts. Another thing to look at is whether the exhaust is hitting.
    It's not the exhaust, not that type of sound/feeling No vibration or header/ORY slap, I fixed that already by making my own ORY bracket).

This is like I described - it's like hitting a curb. No creaks or popping sounds that you would get if the springs or shocks were mounted improperly. It comes from the rear, I think its from the passenger side mostly. Kinda hard to pinpoint while driving. Also I try not to hit pot holes if I can.

I think I'm going to check the shocks again. I may have not tighten them down enough properly or possible broke a retaining nut.

When I jack the car up everything looks ok and in it's place.

RED
    2002 Camaro SS

I would jack the rear of the car up, put it on jackstands, and start by looking for any broken or loose posts as the previous poster suggested. I would try moving the shocks, trailing arms, panhard rod, etc to see if they're loose or rattle. Something in the rear must be loose or broken. Check the torque arm bolts as well.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

you might think its not exhaust but double check, once i lowered my car i would hit a bump and kept hearing a very loud dull thud from the back. sounded like the whole back end was bottoming out but it was hitting the exhaust where it goes over the axel also check your bump stops

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If it's hitting hard could be bad shocks.

Navy Blue Metallic

well I jacked it up and looked underneath Sat. I think I know what the problem was. The rear passenger spring looked like it had not seated properly in place. Drivers side while under load was firm and didn't move or give much. Passenger side while under load moved, not good. So I unbolted the shock made sure it was securely in place, no issues there, then pulled the spring. I looked up in the pocket to make sure no hidden damage. None, no rust either TG! So I reseated the rubber boat (not sure what to call it) then put it back in place. Re-mounted the shock and jacked the axle back up loading the shock/spring. This time no movement and a little bit of give like the drivers side. Took it for a drive and yes even over some bumps too and it seems it is much less then before. I'll have to wait till the next time I take her to work to finally see if it is really fixed. That's where the rough patches of road are at. I can't change my route because it's mostly highway.

I'll post back if this has fixed or not.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Hopefully that fixes it. Nice and simple.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Hopefully that fixes it. Nice and simple.
    <<crosses fingers

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

SMWS6TA, what happen? I am having the same exact problem!!
    I replaced my shocks to no avail. I was told that the lowering spring I have (SLP from factory) was low to begin with. Now it seems its sitting even lower cause the spring has given out. It seems between the weakened spring and the already lowered ride profile, the axle is hitting the bump stop.
    I think I need new Springs, did the adjustment work for you?

Navy Blue Metallic

Yes, sorry I thought I posted it already.

I put the back up on jack stands, did a look around while the suspension was not under load, couldn't see anything obvious. No broken parts. I pulled on the passenger side spring (they are new Hotchkins 1" drop) and it seem real loose. I could move it and twist it with ease. Tried the drivers side could not. I go back to the passenger side look up inside the spring and compare it to the drivers side. Still nothing obvious. So I unbolted the shock and lower the axle and pulled out the spring. Spring is good (better have been it is less then 2 months old). I look again at the top where the spring meets the body and didn't see any rust or body cracks. So I reseated the rubber boot onto the spring and made sure it was seated properly. Re-installed the shock and tested the spring again under load. This time it gave the same resistance as the drivers side.

I'd took it out to on a quick trip and if felt like it had fixed it some what, but I won't know until I drive it to work again. There is a couple of spots on my trip that if it's not fixed I'll know it. If this doesn't work I believe its the shocks. The ones I got may not be strong enough. I got these just to fix em' before I started truly modding towards a purpose.

Another thing I did notice is that I'm going to have to go ahead and squeeze it into my budget somehow over the next few months is to get LCAs and a PHB. The bushings are looking worn out and this may also be causing this issue.

Navy Blue Metallic

Well I drove it in today. It is much less of a bone jaw jarring feeling then before. So I think I fixed it.

I think because I have Hotchkins 1" drop springs and SFCs the suspension is going to be much stiffer then stock and this is something I'm going to have to live with once I finish with the PHB, LCAs, and TA upgrades.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Only thing you listed above that would make the ride harsher are the springs, unless you get a body mounted t/a and rod end lca's etc.

Thread Information