Pewter
    '02 WS6

Question Subframe Connectors and t-top/windows leaking

I've read that SFCs are needed on t-tops so the body doesn't get twisted and start leaking through the windows. Well, I was in a carwash today and my drivers side window started raining on me. If I put the SFCs on now (2 or 3 point? That much difference? Welded or bolt-on? I don't want to block off any future mods or screw up ride height and bottom out even more), will this help with the window leaking/raining on me? If not, anyone know what I should do? Thanks.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by watson023 View Post
    I've read that SFCs are needed on t-tops so the body doesn't get twisted and start leaking through the windows. Well, I was in a carwash today and my drivers side window started raining on me. If I put the SFCs on now (2 or 3 point? That much difference? Welded or bolt-on? I don't want to block off any future mods or screw up ride height and bottom out even more), will this help with the window leaking/raining on me? If not, anyone know what I should do? Thanks.
    There is a lot of debate regarding this and how the f-body really is torsionally stiffer than most people think...

I got the SFC's, don't know if I really needed it after all.

Do yourself a favor, spend the money to buy new weatherstripping instead, see how that goes first.
    The Black 2001 SS #5697
    T-tops, 6-spd/B&M ripper, ARH LT's/GMMG/CME, Volant, Koni DA's & GC coilovers, Strano frt & rear sways, G2(SFC's w/v-braces, STB, adj PHR), Wilwood 6-piston red calipers frnt brakes w/13" 2-pc rotors, RKSport(clear front & rear corners, c-f grill), chrome Z06 wheels

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Subframe connectors will not help out with that. That is a weather stripping issue.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

The tops are not related to your chassis stiffness.

Although sfc are highly recommended. They will not reverse the problems you are having with your windows and tops.

As suggested inspect he weather striping and maybe replace any dried or torn pieces.

Bright Green Metallic
    1998 Z28 Camaro

I had leaking issues due to a small bead of silicone NOT installed from the factory. Get a workshop manual and look at the t-top section and check to see if the glue was put in the right places. Also, if it only leaks at the car wash, don't go. wash by hand.

Jim

Pewter
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by eldrijt View Post
    I had leaking issues due to a small bead of silicone NOT installed from the factory. Get a workshop manual and look at the t-top section and check to see if the glue was put in the right places. Also, if it only leaks at the car wash, don't go. wash by hand.

Jim
    I thought it might have been just in the car wash, but water started leakin in the other day when it rained.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by watson023 View Post
    I thought it might have been just in the car wash, but water started leakin in the other day when it rained.
    most 4th gens leak through the t tops and windows, 2nd and 3rd gen cars had the same problem as well. Try some of that silicone lubricant spray on your weatherstripping, that will bring some life back to it and possibly help with the leaks

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

The owners manual states the you will need to apply dialectric grease on the weather stripping to keep them from drying out. My door glass had a small leak and I put a light amount on a rag and wiped down all my seals and it stopped it. Just don't use too much or when you roll down your windows you will smear it all over the glass. I did that the first time. If you guys need the exact page number for proof I can get that for your entertainment purposes.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen WS6 View Post
    The owners manual states the you will need to apply dialectric grease on the weather stripping to keep them from drying out. My door glass had a small leak and I put a light amount on a rag and wiped down all my seals and it stopped it. Just don't use too much or when you roll down your windows you will smear it all over the glass. I did that the first time. If you guys need the exact page number for proof I can get that for your entertainment purposes.

Good info. I am going to try that.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen WS6 View Post
    The owners manual states the you will need to apply dialectric grease on the weather stripping to keep them from drying out....
    GM makes a specific product called silicon Emulsion(sp) For all the rubber exposed to the elements on cars.

Dialectric grease is for Electronic connections and the silicon Emulsion is for weather stripping.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Sex on wheels
    In the 2001 gm service manual, book 1 of 3, page 0-37. It says "Weatherstrip Conditioning: Dielectric Silicone Grease (GM p/n 12345579 or equivalent."
    Feel free to look it up and confirm. For future referance, I always have my facts straight before I chime in. If I don't know something I have no problem being the first to ask about it. All I'm saying is don't be so quick to discredit someone. When we are probably both right and I have the facts to back up my end.
    Last edited by Frozen WS6; 02-22-2007 at 07:06 PM.

Thread Information