SleeperZ28

Strut Tower Brace Comparison

I would like to get a strut tower brace for my 2001 T-Top Z28. There appears to be quite a few different ones available. And they all seem to be in the same price range. Aside from the BMR extreme, Edelbrock 3 point,and Spohn adjustable, is there any real difference between them? Are nny better than the other? Is the Spohn adjustable brace worth it or even beneficial. My car is my daily transportaion that will see some strip time but is not an all out drag car. right now I'm just starting at the front and working my way back. Everyone seems to have one and I've heard they make a decent improvement in stiffing up the from of the car. Just wondering if any are any better or if I just need to pick the company or the color I like.

Yellow
    ZO6 Corvette

No..no real difference between teh makes..mostly style..

There was some "problems" with the three point bars...but with the ones that attach between the tops of teh shocks....no dirrerence

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

I agree that you will not see much difference, unless you intend to put extreme stress on the frame. Some offer more (or less) access to the engine. I have a 2 point BMR, and when I want to work on the engine it is the first part to come off the car. I believe that they help, just as subframe connectors, in reducing the flex inherent in the fbody design.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

My BMR Extreme looks really good. I don't know how many times people looked at it and said "Now that is one big brace!" I did notice a big difference when I put it on. I noticed the difference more in daily driving than I did putting on bigger sway bars.
    Last edited by mrr23; 04-10-2006 at 05:09 PM.

The Rookie

SleeperZ28
    Cool, I was thinking about the BMR extreme, but i dont know if i want to spend twice as much as I would with a regular strut tower brace, and I don't know if I really need that much. Again my car is a daily driver and I'm just looking to tighten/strenghten it up so it's ready when my supercharger or turbo goes in. Has anyone used the Spohn adjustable Strut tower brace? looks kinda cool, and the idea sounds interesting. Right now the toss up is between the BMR, the Spohn, and the SLP units. They're all made of similar quality materials and are priced about the same. I don't have any brand loyalty to speak of, just what works and is affordable.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I thought, do I want what everyone else runs or something most people wuss out on, and just spent an extra 85. I would have just spent that on something else that I didn't really need anyway! I mean who really needs 300+ horsepower anyway?! My vote is either the Spohn adjustable or the Extreme. I have not heard is the adjustability is really good or not. I'd think it would mess with the alignment, but I never heard if it does or not. I don't see any benifit from it, but it would worth a try.

SleeperZ28
    You have a good point, My friend just got his Vette yesterday, so it's time for me to start acting rather than pondering about everything. I think I'll just go with a run of the mill strut tower brace. The BMR Extreme and the adjustable Spohn look and probably are great, but I need to spread the money around as much of the car as I can to keep up with his Vett, and my car will be specializing in nothing, so I don't really need any trick high tech parts that I'll end up hurting my car with because I'm not using it propery. And from what I've heard a standard one should be well enough for what I'm doing. Though in all fairness, the BMR extreme isn't really high tech, it's just "big". Anyway thanks for the info and insight.

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ram Air

Don't pay for an adjustable one, that's just a waste

So I put it in her butt.

White
    2001 Z28 M6

Do you guys think a strut tower brace would help me out as an autocrosser?

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by johuckabee
    Yes

black
    2002 firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy
    Don't pay for an adjustable one, that's just a waste
    correction my slp stb fits with my frc ,i bought a hotckins and THAT didn't work.the throttle cables hit the bar raised them up, the hood strut wanted to crush the cables down, and my dip stick was jamed because the frc had a hole for the dipstick to show so i sent it back and the slp sfc fits fine, thehotckins looks gooood though. my experience.
    Last edited by billyb; 04-18-2006 at 05:56 PM.

Yellow
    ZO6 Corvette

Since their all the same...its a mater of style and bucks....The Hotchicks looks the best...but cost more I believe...

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by johuckabee
    Hell yes!!! Your an autocrosser and you don't have a strut tower brace.

Hotchicks looks the best and that's why i chose them.
    There all pretty much the same, just don't go with Edelbrock.

Thread Information