View Poll Results: Does the Strut tower brace really do anything?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

145 78.80%
  • no

39 21.20%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Silver
    2002 Z28

Strut Tower Brace

Ok, I figure this will get mixed responses. I searched a lot and could not find anything addressing it really. Does the Strut tower brace really do anything? I know the theory. But, I was also told that the Camaro frame in the front is stiff enough that you dont need the brace. Any thoughts? Is it worth while or just added weight?

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Me personally I cant notice any difference .. the car handles like champ in the curves and Im definitely one who flies in and out of curves .. the tires hate me for it. I plan on putting some engine dress up .. fuel rail covers.. billet .. and chrome .. and if someone makes them .. underhood mirrors.. so I found a hotchkis polished strut tower brace .. looks awesome under the hood so for me its just appearance .. and if it does do anything for stiffening ..so be it
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

imho, no.
    I've raced with and without it, and it makes no difference whatsoever in the handling. I ended up leaving it there... it's a nice piece and very practical to lean on when working on the engine bay.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    it's a nice piece and very practical to lean on when working on the engine bay.
    Thats what I use mine for.

SFC's will work better.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

I like mine. all red and shiny... ....[ HOTCHKISS ]
    Last edited by NHRAMAN; 08-14-2006 at 10:09 AM.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

silver
    2002 firebird transAM WS6

I like mine as well...2point BMR. handling probably increased slightly with it. SFCs and LCAs were what made my handling noticably better

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

well, when i first got the one for the wife's car, i put it on. about a week later, took it off to paint it. while it was off, one day i was making a left turn from a light. as i'm making the turn she asks, did you take that bar thingy off? i said yes to paint it. why? i could tell.

i couldn't tell......
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Silver
    2002 Z28

Yeah, it will help prevent chassis twist if you're running at the track a lot, but if you don't have SFCs, you're wasting your time.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

It makes you feel more bumps. And the bumps are more harsh. It also reduces chassis twist, which was bad for me the other day because my car sits low and I was going to park my car at the black eyed pea in dallas and behind the building where the parking lot is, there is a dip in the road and then it goes up high real fast. So I wanted to hit it at an angle so I wouldnt drag anything.. Well, I went slow and approached it at an angle, so this would have normally put a twist on my car but since it resisted twisting, the rear tire got no traction and for some reason only 1 tire would spin and it was the one that wouldnt get traction, so I got stuck in a little itty bitty dip in the road. totally weird.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I put mine on after putting bigger tires, SFC's, springs and other suspension componets and I really noticed a big difference. If it's on a stock suspension I don't think you'll notice much, but it is nice to lean on. I didn't notice it make bumps any harsher, but it did feel like the tires stayed flatter going fast around corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    I put mine on after putting bigger tires, SFC's, springs and other suspension componets and I really noticed a big difference. If it's on a stock suspension I don't think you'll notice much, but it is nice to lean on. I didn't notice it make bumps any harsher, but it did feel like the tires stayed flatter going fast around corners.
    how does it feel when your tires are flatter?

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    well, when i first got the one for the wife's car, i put it on. about a week later, took it off to paint it. while it was off, one day i was making a left turn from a light. as i'm making the turn she asks, did you take that bar thingy off? i said yes to paint it. why? i could tell.

i couldn't tell......
    That is the proper name for it in case no one knew..." Bar Thingy "

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    how does it feel when your tires are flatter?
    It didn't feel like the tires would slip as much up front and lean over quite as much. The tires also sounded different when going fast around corners at the traciton limit. They sounded to be using more of a contact patch or something.

I voted yes. Once I was racing some RXS Type-S at speeds of over 80mph on a normally not so twisty road, but at those speeds NOT having a brace sucked! Ironically, the same day my SLP brace arrived. It made a world of a difference! Recently (kinda), I raced a Charger... same twisties and my brace was out. Let's just say I don't ever want to take that turn at 95+ mph EVER again! 2nd scarriest moment in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Thats what I use mine for.

SFC's will work better.

LS1Tech.com had a thread about SFCs and strut towers and it came to an end with some peeps saying our cars dont need these sort of things. It got pretty technical and it was maybe a year ago that I read it (cuz I was considering buying some).

I remember no difference what so ever welding SFCs on my 94 mustang gt convertible. And they say convertibles are the number one type of frames that would benefit from these...

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I think that both help out. I don't see how they could not. Most convertiable are already braced with something so I don't think SFC's would help on a vert as much as a T-top car.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I thought sfc came on vert's from the factory? Anywho i put the stb and sfc on the ss and it made a big difference. I would say its worth the investment, although im thinkin i should have went with the weld in sfc.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

black
    2002 TA ws6

The brace makes a subtle difference. Not something that will make a major change in max cornering like tires, shocks, bars. On NewEngland back roads I find it tightens up the initial steering response. I noticed it, my 17 YO son noticed it so we pulled it out to see if it was just $ imagination. Nope. Choose wisely and get one that won't interfere with the engine oil dip stick.

Spectra Red
    1984 Trans Am

I think I notice a difference with mine on. I installed one a on a previous 4th gen car ('95 T/A with t-tops) I owned (did not have sfc), and on my current ride ('84 T/A with t-tops and sfc). Of course, I don't have track times to prove it one way or another (hence why I say I think I notice), but it feels tighter up front.

Then again, the third gen cars aren't nearly as structural up front as the 4th gens are...

I use the 3 point brace. I like the idea of the triangulation support it (supposedly) offers.

Silver
    2002 Z28

got rid of mine, put on LCAs and subframe connectors instead. Hoping to actually notice a difference now.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information