Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Strano Lightweight Tubular Rear Sway Bar: 7/8 in. (22mm)

Thinking about putting this on my car. My rear sway bar bushings are squeaking and I'm going to just upgrade the whole thing (will probably go with UMI aluminum bushings). Anyone using the Strano bar? It's apparently lighter than not only lighter than other aftermarket bars, but lighter even than the stock bar. I don't hear too much about this bar, but unsprung weight reduction is a big deal for me, so I'm curious if there's any reason why I shouldn't get it.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Do you still have the front factory sized bar?
    I'd upgrade both at the same time. Upgrading just the rear could potentially hurt the cars balance and increase oversteer.

I have both the front and rear hollow bars from Strano.
    Sent from Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk 2.
    2000 T/A-DMH Cutout, SLP Cold Air kit, FTRA/SLP Upgrade, SLP Bilstein, LT1 Eibach ProKit, Kuhmo PA31 Tires ,SLP Fan Switch, UMI Double Adj PHB w/ Roto-Joints, UMI LCARB, Strano 35/22mm Sway Bars , Magnecor KV85 Wires, Hurst Shifter, Lou's Short Stick.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by BadTA00 View Post
    Do you still have the front factory sized bar?
    I'd upgrade both at the same time. Upgrading just the rear could potentially hurt the cars balance and increase oversteer.

I have both the front and rear hollow bars from Strano.
    That sounds like good advice.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

I have the Strano springs but went with the UMI rear and front sway bars. When I received the UMI bars their front bar seemed like it weighed a ton compared to the stock take off. I put it in alone and for me it was a bitch to maneuver around. But I must say the front end immediately had a more solid on the road feel to it.
    Same thing with the UMI Torque Arm. Stock take off you could almost bend it by hand. UMI bar felt like it was ripped off a Sherman tank. That was quite an adventure for me lying alone on my back. I always have attributed the better handling to the heavy duty nature of these two products and their ability to not deflect under high horsepower loads. But yes, they weigh a lot more than stock.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    I have the Strano springs but went with the UMI rear and front sway bars. When I received the UMI bars their front bar seemed like it weighed a ton compared to the stock take off. I put it in alone and for me it was a bitch to maneuver around. But I must say the front end immediately had a more solid on the road feel to it.
    Same thing with the UMI Torque Arm. Stock take off you could almost bend it by hand. UMI bar felt like it was ripped off a Sherman tank. That was quite an adventure for me lying alone on my back. I always have attributed the better handling to the heavy duty nature of these two products and their ability to not deflect under high horsepower loads. But yes, they weigh a lot more than stock.
    The UMI bars are solid. That is why they are so heavy. The Strano bars are hollow and weigh less. Strano's front bars are heavier than the factory bar but lighter than other 35mm bars. The rear is about 5 lbs lighter than the factory bar.

Last edited by BadTA00; 06-04-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

This is solid advice.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Well, the price for both is a little steep right now... but probably worth it, considering. What would be the difference between the aluminum heavy duty bushings and the default bushings supplied with the part? Will they affect ride quality at all? I might have to hold off on the bushings and just get the sway bars.

For installation, the back looks pretty straight forward, however, while I had the car up in the air the other day, I didn't even think to look at the front. Anything I need to consider with regards to removing the stock pieces and installing the new ones?

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I used this website as a guide when I did mine on ramps in the backyard:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=22

Here is some more "how to" links:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ls1...tallation.html

http://www.installuniversity.com/ls1...tallation.html

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

How do you like them

Black
    2000 Trans Am

The car should have come from the factory with the Strano Sway Bars. I also have SLP/Bilstein shocks and Eibach's LT1 ProKit with UMI Double Adjustable Panhard Bar w/Roto-joints, and LCA Re-Location Brackets. So it feels like the car is on rails.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Ordered the front and rear sway bars... hoping to be able to get the UMI aluminum bushings, but we'll see if I can swing the extra $180. For now, just looking forward to getting rid of that squeak, and seeing a performance boost.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Ordered the front and rear sway bars... hoping to be able to get the UMI aluminum bushings, but we'll see if I can swing the extra $180. For now, just looking forward to getting rid of that squeak, and seeing a performance boost.
    Good luck bud, hope it does the trick as far as that squeak goes.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Is this what your talking about when you say "aluminum bushings"?:

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=465

If so, it's not a big necessity right away. You always get them sometime in the future.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Good luck bud, hope it does the trick as far as that squeak goes.
    One thing for sure is the Strano S/B's will be easier to install. I installed both UMI's and the front bar was like lifting weights under the car. I could have used another pair of hands. I went with UMI because I have been very impressed with their products and weight is not a concern with me. The heavy bars, IMO, give a very solid on the road feel plus help dampen out road irregularities. Hey, it's six or 1/2 dozen. I love the Strano Springs.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

So, I sprayed sillicone in the bushings today, and manually compressed the suspension. The noise seemed to be gone, but after a few minutes of sitting, the noise came back, but different (lower pitched squeak)... According to the can's advertisement, it supposed to "stop squeaking and sticking." Hmmm... I guess I'll have to lift it back up and try again to confirm. Any other ideas on how to isolate the squeak (I'm pretty sure it's the sway bars but if I can confirm that it's not the sway bars, I will cancel my order and replace whatever else it might be. The panhard bar bushings look a little bit suspect, as well... I'd also like to test the springs/spring mounts, but not sure exactly what to do for those.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Heavy Duty Aluminum Sway Bar Mount Kit- 35mm & 22mm Sway Bar Kits [004845] - $174.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

If so, it's not a big necessity right away. You always get them sometime in the future.

Yup. Those are the ones. I will just pick those up whenever...

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Heavy Duty Aluminum Sway Bar Mount Kit- 35mm & 22mm Sway Bar Kits [004845] - $174.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

Yup. Those are the ones. I will just pick those up whenever...
    Sam says those are worthless and he wouldn't let me order them.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

So, I sprayed sillicone in the bushings today, and manually compressed the suspension. The noise seemed to be gone, but after a few minutes of sitting, the noise came back, but different (lower pitched squeak)... According to the can's advertisement, it supposed to "stop squeaking and sticking." Hmmm... I guess I'll have to lift it back up and try again to confirm. Any other ideas on how to isolate the squeak (I'm pretty sure it's the sway bars but if I can confirm that it's not the sway bars, I will cancel my order and replace whatever else it might be. The panhard bar bushings look a little bit suspect, as well... I'd also like to test the springs/spring mounts, but not sure exactly what to do for those.
    A spray isn't going to be thick enough to really reduce the squeek from a poly bushing. The new sway bars come with a thick grease, that you use a small amount for each bushing.

Last edited by BadTA00; 06-27-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    Sam says those are worthless and he wouldn't let me order them.
    It's hard to believe Sam would say an UMI part is completely worthless. He probably meant that it wasn't worth it for how you plan to use your car.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

A spray isn't going to be thick enough to really reduce the squeek from a poly bushing. The new sway bars come with a thick grease, that you use a small amount for each bushing.
    I was wondering if that might be the case, but these are the stock, rubber bushings, not polys. I'm going to check using some other grease tomorrow, as well as some other parts that may be the culprit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information