black
    2000 trans am

Exclamation steering wheel shaking excessivly

hi
    my car just came back from the body shop for some minor bodywork done to the door and part of the fender. while in the body shop they had to push the car from stall to stall to complete the repairs.(this car is not easy to push while its off). when i got the car back i replaiced the ignition switch wich was bad. the car runs fine under 40 mph but when you hit 45mph and above the steering wheel starts to shake alot and i mean alot. it did not do this before. i balanced the tires and that helped a little bit, but i still whont take it on the freeway because of this problem. its a 2000 PONTIAC TRANS AM. i know the body shop messed it up, but i whant to know what they did. it ran perfectly fine before the body shop got their hands on it. th body shop obviously dennies they had enything to with that, but i am so gonna sue

white/orange
    97 30th SS

The tires might have flat spots depending how long the car was sitting for, also check the front suspension to make sure all the bolts are tight

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by esoj1987
    hi
    my car just came back from the body shop for some minor bodywork done to the door and part of the fender. while in the body shop they had to push the car from stall to stall to complete the repairs.(this car is not easy to push while its off). when i got the car back i replaiced the ignition switch wich was bad. the car runs fine under 40 mph but when you hit 45mph and above the steering wheel starts to shake alot and i mean alot. it did not do this before. i balanced the tires and that helped a little bit, but i still whont take it on the freeway because of this problem. its a 2000 PONTIAC TRANS AM. i know the body shop messed it up, but i whant to know what they did. it ran perfectly fine before the body shop got their hands on it. th body shop obviously dennies they had enything to with that, but i am so gonna sue
    Boy, this is a tough one... did they bend any suspension parts, run it over/into anything? Is the wheel alignment correct? You seem to have eliminated wheel balance as the problem: could they have bent a wheel? Are any suspension parts worn like tie rod ends, wheel bearings, ball joints and they happened to do something which made the symptoms much worse, highlighting an existing problem? It is so hard to tell, but you did the most obvious thing first which was to check the wheel balance. You need to have a good suspension shop look over your front end, it's hard to diagnose a problem like this from a distance. Good luck!

black
    2000 trans am

thanx

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Check your alignment. We had a car (wasn't a T/A, I think it was a Crown Vic, but nonetheless another fairly large, RWD car) come into the shop one time doing this exact thing. It turns out someone had not tightened a lot of stuff down properly (not us ) and what had happend was the toe in on one wheel was waaaaaaaaay in and the other was normal. It was actually causing the tire with the crazy toe in to SKIP across the road . Chewed up the tire pretty bad too, so check for abnormal wear on all four tires, mostly the fronts.
    Hope you find the fix.

black
    2000 trans am

FIXED!! it was the tires. thanks 4 vall you help.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

They look like eggs on the balancer???? lol oddly, it usually take a few months to get flat spots on tires, once you heat them up reall good for a hundred miles or so they will be round again, especially if they have a lot of nylon in them....like WR and YR speed rated tires. I am glad it was nothing major. -Tim

Thread Information