Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

SS vs Ws6 Which is better?

Were the springs the same? Were the shocks the same? Whats the difference in ride heights. Were there different versions of each? And the big question is which one is better?
    This is just a suspension question. I have a 99TA, not a WS6 and am trying to figure out which would be better for me. Can anybody tell me anything about ride height or anyinfo would be helpful.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

I think the best advice you'll get is to go with whatever one you think looks the best. The differences are few and far between, and performance/ride quality is the same.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackwidow99 View Post
    I think the best advice you'll get is to go with whatever one you think looks the best. The differences are few and far between, and performance/ride quality is the same.
    I'm not looking for a car. I'm looking to upgrade my suspension...

BLACK
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

Same concept goes for both cars. SS&WS-6 vs Trans Am&Camaro(nonSS).

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by vikingramair View Post
    Same concept goes for both cars. SS&WS-6 vs Trans Am&Camaro(nonSS).
    Exactly!

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

just get everything aftermarket and it will all probably be cheaper then buying OEM stuff

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    just get everything aftermarket and it will all probably be cheaper then buying OEM stuff
    Used stuff. vs New shocks and springs.... I don't see that.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by MyTA99 View Post
    Used stuff. vs New shocks and springs.... I don't see that.
    used?... aftermaket as in performance parts

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Unless the SS had the optional suspension it is the same as the WS6.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

so regarding the 98+ cars... both are the same unless the SS is treated to the optional SLP suspension.... now 98 and 99 ws6 and SS had 1le springs but in 2000+ gm discontinued that and stuck in standard v8 springs... slp suspension----- only on the SS were custom bilstein shock and custom eibach springs also in 01 slp re-released the 1le suspension( same as the 94+ style (93 was a touch different) available only through them on the SS only not the ws6... also remember 97 back ws6 were produced by SLP and could have the option bilsten suspension...... but guess what screw all that and go with a set of sam strano springs and konis....ps all GM DeCarbon shocks suck the only good shock was the 1le which is dual adjust konis
    Last edited by dxdenis02; 08-02-2007 at 03:32 PM.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by dxdenis02 View Post
    so regarding the 98+ cars... both are the same unless the SS is treated to the optional SLP suspension.... now 98 and 99 ws6 and SS had 1le springs in 2000+ gm discontinued that and stuck in standard v8 springs... slp suspension only on the SS were custom bilstein shock and custom ehibak (sp?) springs also in 01 slp re-released the 1le suspension available only through them on the SS only not the ws6... also remember 93 to 97 ws6 were produced by SLP and could have the option bilsten suspension...... but guess what screw all that and go with a set of sam strano springs and konis....ps all GM DeCarbon shocks suck the only good shock was the 1le which is dual adjust konis
    This was exactly the type of information I was looking for. I just recently purchaced the 2001 WS6 springs from a guy for 50 bucks, but found a set of SLP springs with bilstein shocks atached that we think came out of an SS. The whole reason for this post is to find out if I would be better off using the SLP or the WS6 that I ordered. Also I just wanted to know the difference.

your 2001 springs from the ws6 are nothing more then std v8 springs (292 front 114 rear) linear rate... your slp springs are 300-450 front and 115-185 rear... these are progressive springs.... i would personal pick neither but if i had to... i would go with slp set as the bilsteins are custom valved for the springs and is a much better set up verses the standard 2001 ws6 suspension set-up... ps the slp set-up will lower the car from stock height about .5" even though slp has been know to deny such a claim

while your at see if your can get the front bar from the guy who sold you the stuff.. the std bar is 30mm the ws6,ss bar is 32mm.... makes a difference

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by dxdenis02 View Post
    while your at see if your can get the front bar from the guy who sold you the stuff.. the std bar is 30mm the ws6,ss bar is 32mm.... makes a difference
    Thanks alot for the help. All I'm trying to do is lower the car for the time being. I'd love to throw some money at the strano stuff right now, but thought I'd be cheap right now while maintaining a decent ride quallity. I guess you can't really have it both ways. I'm probably looking at next sumer as the eairliest I could do it right, but would put it off even longer if done write the cheap way. Thanks again.

Thread Information