White
    01 SS Vert

SS Factory Alignment different than non SS models

Based upon this thread.... http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24065 ....can I assume the SS alignment is the same as all other camaro models?

I have an SS convertible, and it's in need of an alignment. I want to get the most aggressive/best alignment possible for cornering and autocross. Car is also a daily driver & is also lowered 2".

Any input is appreciated.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 01 SS Vert View Post
    Based upon this thread.... http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24065 ....can I assume the SS alignment is the same as all other camaro models?

I have an SS convertible, and it's in need of an alignment. I want to get the most aggressive/best alignment possible for cornering and autocross. Car is also a daily driver & is also lowered 2".

Any input is appreciated.
    i just got mine done at firestone. As far as i know it is just a regular laser alignment, nothing diff than a Z28 alignment.. my car handles like a dream now. i paid 139.99 and that is for a lifetime alignment, the guy said that if i wanted to i could get an alignment everyday FOR FREE if i wanted. i think that it is very worth it because i have coil-overs so i can adjust ride height.

White
    01 SS Vert

You know what caster and camber you went with?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

I think you need more negative chamber in the front try and get the nose to stick and turn better
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

White
    01 SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Great link...thanks!

Stock
    2002 Camaro

ya heres a link to something for this site.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24065

White
    01 SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    ya heres a link to something for this site.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24065
    I posted this in the first post of this thread, lol.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I posted this in the first post of this thread, lol.

sorry spacing out!

Black
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Go to Matlock tire in Farragut and see a guy named Dupree. He will let you stand there until you get the specs right, and he does several guys over on ETR.

Max out your negative camber, go with about +4.5 caster, and add some toe out. Mine seems to like 1/32nds but it increased the wear on my tires.

2001 Camaro z28
    1995 Mazda Miata
    1989 BMW M3

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

specs are the same. and you dont really wanna go away from factory specs because your tires will wear like crazy. i aligned my own car at my shop with a hunter DSP machine. set it to within .001 of spec. tires wear great and drives and handles perfect. you'd never notice any difference in adjusting for "better performance" during street driving. in fact youd prob only ever notice it if you were a pro driver on a track. and thats a lot of trial and error. but is that really worth the tire wear?

since yours is lowered, as mine was. you will def need the camber and caster adjusted. you may be better off taking it to the dealer because there is a special tool required to adjust those on a 4th gen. i had to borrow it from a local dealer. if you take it somewhere else id make sure they adjust that. i know some of our techs are lazy and would just adjust toe to save time. people think if their car drives straight then their alignment is good. can never really trust any shop....

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 01badz28 View Post
    Go to Matlock tire in Farragut and see a guy named Dupree. He will let you stand there until you get the specs right, and he does several guys over on ETR.

Max out your negative camber, go with about +4.5 caster, and add some toe out. Mine seems to like 1/32nds but it increased the wear on my tires.
    from the looks of your picture in your signature, you do some road racing or circuit stuff, but people like me who keep in on the street 99% of the time, i wouldnt go out of factory specs. like you said it increased your tire wear. i like to squeeze every bit of tread out of my tires. plus your car will ride better overall, especially on the highway. thats just my 2 cents, but i have aligned a lot of cars....

Black

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    from the looks of your picture in your signature, you do some road racing or circuit stuff, but people like me who keep in on the street 99% of the time, i wouldnt go out of factory specs. like you said it increased your tire wear. i like to squeeze every bit of tread out of my tires. plus your car will ride better overall, especially on the highway. thats just my 2 cents, but i have aligned a lot of cars....
    Mines pretty much a autocross whore / garage queen these days. When it was my DD I did run -1.0 negative camber, about +3.0 caster, and zero toe and didn't notice any additional wear.

I'm 99.9% certain I know the OP (otherwise there is another slammed Camaro SS that runs autocrosses in Knoxville) which is why I made the suggestions I did.

I can honestly say that they made a huge difference in the car's performance, however, it is at the expense of extra front tire wear.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Mines pretty much a autocross whore / garage queen these days. When it was my DD I did run -1.0 negative camber, about +3.0 caster, and zero toe and didn't notice any additional wear.

I'm 99.9% certain I know the OP (otherwise there is another slammed Camaro SS that runs autocrosses in Knoxville) which is why I made the suggestions I did.

I can honestly say that they made a huge difference in the car's performance, however, it is at the expense of extra front tire wear.
    well i never said it would make a difference in that application. but like i said its not worth the tire wear for a street car. i mean how fast are you really cornering through the four way stop?

i think we can both agree on that.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    well i never said it would make a difference in that application. but like i said its not worth the tire wear for a street car. i mean how fast are you really cornering through the four way stop?
    The OP isn't talking about a four way stop:

I want to get the most aggressive/best alignment possible for cornering and autocross. Car is also a daily driver & is also lowered 2".

I'm not disagreeing with you at all that an aggressive alignment will cause extra wear, merely addressing the OPs concerns. I don't see where he asked for "maximum tire wear" which is where you are coming from.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

The OP isn't talking about a four way stop:

I'm not disagreeing with you at all that an aggressive alignment will cause extra wear, merely addressing the OPs concerns. I don't see where he asked for "maximum tire wear" which is where you are coming from.
    sorry i didnt even see the autocross part, my bad. i was talking purely street cars.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

I have an SS convertible too... same specs.
    try getting the following:

toe = 0
    castor = +4.5'
    camber = -0.5' (or whatever maximum negative camber you can get if you can't get it, if still on stock springs)
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Thread Information