Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green
    94 TA GT

Slow speed thump/rattle from left rear (FOUND!)

I am trying to chase down what I believe is a suspension noise coming from the left rear of my car. I only hear it at slow speeds when I hit small and meduim sized bumps. It almost sounds like a loose shock mount, but I checked them and they are fine.

Has anyone else seen this problem and found the cause?
    Last edited by Fred H.; 05-17-2008 at 02:34 PM.

red
    2002 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
    I am trying to chase down what I believe is a suspension noise coming from the left rear of my car. I only hear it at slow speeds when I hit small and meduim sized bumps. It almost sounds like a loose shock mount, but I checked them and they are fine.

Has anyone else seen this problem and found the cause?
    I'm having same4 problem and can't figure it out changed shocks and did bmr lca's panhard and turque arm shook everything still can't find it.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

check the trailing arms.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

if you have SFC's check those i was getting the same noise and one of the bolts was loose causing the rattling noise

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

same problem here as well. I cant figure out what it is either, Its mighty annoying though! but yes it does sound like a loose shock mount.

red
    2002 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    if you have SFC's check those i was getting the same noise and one of the bolts was loose causing the rattling noise
    new to forum lingo what is SFC
    Last edited by knappbunch; 05-12-2008 at 05:06 AM. Reason: spelling

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

subframe connector

red
    2002 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    subframe connector
    thank you figured it out after I sent it Don't have any the turbo inlet tube acts as one on driverside but none on passenger side. have shaken everything to the point of almost ripping it off the lift but can't find it. Only noticable at idle or barely any gas on ruf surfac eis not noticable at speed.

Green
    94 TA GT

If it makes you feel any better, I am still looking for mine too. It sure sounds like it is coming from the rear shock mount, but I can't find anything loose. I even went in and tightened everything I could, but still have the noise.

I can only hear it at low speeds over small bumps. Larger bumps don't make the noise, only small ones. It sounds like a metal on metal low frequency thump. Maybe it's the spring hitting something. I have removed the wheel, checked the exhaust, brakes, put the car on a lift, and had it to a suspension shop. Still can't find the culprit.

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

^^ perfect description, bought my car about 6 months ago, after the first month it started doing it and i still cant find it. Ive done all the same stuff and just cant find it.

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

My 01 SS has had a clunk or rattle in it since new. I notice it when I ease through a rough parking lot or rough or uneven ground. I recently grabbed the rear wheel and shook it and heard the noise. I checked the lug nuts..they were tight. I then removed the wheel and noticed that I have a tiny bit of in-out axle play. The brake pads and or calipers is where most of the clunking is coming from though.

Green
    94 TA GT

I had both axles replaced and the entire rear end rebuilt with new wheel bearings, carrier bearings, and pinion bearings last week. No change in the noise. I don't believe it is the brakes or wheels or rear end or drive train. I am convinced it is a suspension noise.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

I had a similar noise on mine awhile back and it ended up being the coils were out of orientation. the Lower pigtails were supposed to face the front of the car and they were facing each other. Best I can figure is they twisted over time, once I adjusted them the noise was gone.
    Might be something for you guys to look at.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Green
    94 TA GT

Well, it definetly is something in the left rear suspension. I removed the left sway bar bushing and coated the inside of it with candle wax to stop a squeak and reinstalled it. Now my "clunk" is happening all the time on almost every bump at any speed. So making the sway bar more free to move, has made the problem worse.

red
    2002 ss camaro

Well, it definetly is something in the left rear suspension. I removed the left sway bar bushing and coated the inside of it with candle wax to stop a squeak and reinstalled it. Now my "clunk" is happening all the time on almost every bump at any speed. So making the sway bar more free to move, has made the problem worse.
    I haven't been able to check yet but I am leaning towards checking out and replacing the sway bar end link bushings and checking to see if they have room to move in the sway bar itself

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Ok, I've have had this problem twice and was 2 seperate issues. First time it was the weld broke on the lower control arm and there was play in the bolt. Second time, took awhile to figure out, I finally went to a lift and after a hour of tightening every bolt under the car, it was the left side of the panhard bar bolt was slightly loose. When the panhard bar was loose, the rear of the car felt like it had a little bit more side to side movement.

Green
    94 TA GT

I have no panhard bar or sub frame connectors installed. The only thing that has been done is the rear shocks on the car have been changed at some point in it's life, and I have a strut tower bar under the hood.

I am going to check the pigtails on the springs tonight and see how they are oriented. Maybe my piggies are headed in the wrong direction.

Green
    94 TA GT

I think I am getting closer to nailing down the culprit. I took off the left rear wheel and checked the pig tails, and the ends of them were pointing forward, so I left them alone. I used a large rubber mallet and began tapping some of the suspension components. The link arm that connects to the the frame on one end and the rear axle on the other, appears to have some side to side slop in it. I can tap it and move it left and right at both pivot points almost an inch. Seems like it isn't a real great design of the joint. I tapped it into the center-most position and then put the wheel back on and drove the car, and the noise seems to have nearly gone away. So now I am thinking it is coming from the attach point where the arm attaches to the frame of the car. I may just go ahead and replace all the bushings on it and see if that fixes it.

red
    2002 ss camaro

I think I am getting closer to nailing down the culprit. I took off the left rear wheel and checked the pig tails, and the ends of them were pointing forward, so I left them alone. I used a large rubber mallet and began tapping some of the suspension components. The link arm that connects to the the frame on one end and the rear axle on the other, appears to have some side to side slop in it. I can tap it and move it left and right at both pivot points almost an inch. Seems like it isn't a real great design of the joint. I tapped it into the center-most position and then put the wheel back on and drove the car, and the noise seems to have nearly gone away. So now I am thinking it is coming from the attach point where the arm attaches to the frame of the car. I may just go ahead and replace all the bushings on it and see if that fixes it.
    is that the end link for they sway bar?

Black
    2005 GTO

I have the same damn problem but its on the right side. I've checked everything checked for loose bolts even removed my catback thinking that was the problem. Mine almost sounds like the subframe connector is slaping against the frame but i've checked and rechecke those bolts. I've pretty much given up untill the day I get the motivation to just remove everything and reinstall it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information