Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Shocks & Springs

So I've decided to upgrade shocks and springs now. I am looking at the Koni 4/4's and the Strano lowering springs.

Most of you know I drive my car mainly on the street, but do occasionally take it to the track.

Question 1: Is this set-up best for my application?

Question 2: Do I need anything else besides the above to be able to do this install myself? I know a spring compressor. Any other expenses?

Thanks.
    Jon

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Nevermind. I just found the sticky.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

sam strano has them on sale right now for 115 off. and springs in stock.

White
    1998 Camaro

I just bought a set of Koni 4/4 and his lowering springs! I can't wait to get them on. I'll let you know once I do!
    -Aaron
    Mods: SLP Flowpac Cold Air Induction Package, 160 Thermo, TB bypass, SLP (Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywhell), Skip Shift Elminator, UMI (SFC, Tower Brace, LCA, Torque Arm, Panhand Bar), no cats, Moser 9" w/ 3.89 gears, 5.0 short throw, Strano Springs, Koni single adj, '94 OEM ZR-1 wheels

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    sam strano has them on sale right now for 115 off. and springs in stock.
    Thanks. I saw this in another thread and is a strong reason why I've chosen to do this upgrade now.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i have been waiting about a year. 1st time i have seen he had them in stock.
    already have the koni's.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

they go fast when i got my springs from him he had got them 4 or 5 days befor i called and only had 4 sets left. and he gets them in sets of just over 100 i think. but you are getting the best out there i have this set up going on my bird as soon as it is nice outside.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I ordered the springs and shocks today. There were only two sets of springs in stock when I ordered mine!!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Yup, springs are out as of 3 hours ago. Just called. Im debating on going with Koni right now. Im so close to ordering. Im just concerned there might be a better shock for drag racing, that would still please me on the street. Just got off the phone with Strano, and I backed out at the last second because of that reason alone.

Should the buyer be pushed away from the Koni 4/4's if the he wanted the car to perform slightly better at the track then the street? Sorry for the thread jack, Jon doesnt care

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Yup, springs are out as of 3 hours ago. Just called. Im debating on going with Koni right now. Im so close to ordering. Im just concerned there might be a better shock for drag racing, that would still please me on the street. Just got off the phone with Strano, and I backed out at the last second because of that reason alone.

Should the buyer be pushed away from the Koni 4/4's if the he wanted the car to perform slightly better at the track then the street? Sorry for the thread jack, Jon doesnt care
    just grab the konis ron...my understanding is that drag shocks will not have good street manners, while the konis aren't a drag shock, but it can handle its own on the track, while having the street manners. my konis and strano springs will be here tomorrow and i will install this weekend.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Eh, I think I have made up my mind after some quick researching. Koni 4/4's and stock springs for now. The car has cut a best of 1.69 in the 60' on stock springs/shocks. Would be interesting to have a car that can actually turn! Alright, Im ordering.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

you could save some cash and get the 4/3 set. the koin's are the parts on back order when i got my stuff.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Its worth it to me to have on car adjustable in the back. Koni shocks are not on backorder, yet.

The Strano springs are.

Ordered.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Its worth it to me to have on car adjustable in the back. Koni shocks are not on backorder, yet.

The Strano springs are.

Ordered.
    i orderd my koin's just befor the price wint up i think that is way they where then.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

In reading the sticky it looks like some people on here have had good luck while others have went through torture at changing these out. Just for the hell of it I got a quote from a local exhaust/mechanic shop that does really good work. I was quoted $150 to change them out. Should I not even bother doing them myself for that price?

red
    2000 Z28

The Strano springs are.

Ordered.
    I could see how on car rebound adjustment for the fronts would be beneficial for a drag car to help with weight xfer/front end rise. What does rebound adjustment get you on the rears for a drag car? Compression adjustment (not on the Koni's 4/4 or 4/3), sure, but rebound? If you're not going to auto-x it, I'd stick with the 4/3's.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i have the hal's and qa1's all (four adjustable) on the camaro and they are a little ruff on the street. but i mostly drag race that car.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    I could see how on car rebound adjustment for the fronts would be beneficial for a drag car to help with weight xfer/front end rise. What does rebound adjustment get you on the rears for a drag car? Compression adjustment (not on the Koni's 4/4 or 4/3), sure, but rebound? If you're not going to auto-x it, I'd stick with the 4/3's.
    4/4 and 4/3 are both single adjustable rears.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    i have the hal's and qa1's all (four adjustable) on the camaro and they are a little ruff on the street. but i mostly drag race that car.
    Have you ever drove a fbody with Koni's on the street? Strip?

Just wondering how you would rate each on the street strip. It was a tough choice for me because QA1's always get great reviews for track use.

Not that it matters, The Koni's are on thier way.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    In reading the sticky it looks like some people on here have had good luck while others have went through torture at changing these out. Just for the hell of it I got a quote from a local exhaust/mechanic shop that does really good work. I was quoted $150 to change them out. Should I not even bother doing them myself for that price?
    Is that them doing all the work? If so, I would say its not to shabby of a deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information