Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Shock & spring swap completed - my story

Here's my story (sorry if it's long):
    My girlfriend kept hearing me talk about how I wanted to lower the car. Christmas time came and I open the multitude of gifts she got me (my girlfriend rocks!). At the heart of everything she got me was a giant box that was too heavy for her to lift. So I open it and what's inside?...an Eibach Pro-Kit! WOW...I was shocked! Well this of course forced me to contact Sam Strano about the shocks I intended to purchase. Since it was December I figured I had plenty of time to contemplate about what shocks I wanted. From the time I got the car in 99' I had always had my mind dead set on buying Koni Double Adjustable shocks because everyone had always said that Koni is the best. The bad part is they cost a ton of money. After a 30 min conversation with Sam Strano my mind had been changed to getting Koni Single Adjustables instead (thanks Sam!). About one week after speaking with Sam I got luckey and found brand new Koni SA font struts on eBay for $278. This I couldn't believe so I contacted the seller by phone and he said he was getting rid of his entire Koni inventory and offered to end the auction immediately if I wanted the struts. So he closed the auction for me and I ended up paying $308 w/ shipping (whoo hoo, score!). Now all I had to do was save money for the rear shocks. I saved up the money and bought the rear Koni SAs from stranoparts.com in May. Now I was faced with a dilemma because I didn't have the cash to pay someone to install everything and I don't have all the tools, space, and help to do it myself. Luckily a friend of mine that I work with offered to help (he ended up having the torx bits I needed as well). Now I felt much more confident that I could actually get this done so I enlisted the help of one more friend. This guy built his car (it's a turbo Miata w/ a Japanese racing motor) from the ground up. Needless to say his automotive knowledge far exceeds mine. His Dad owns a shop where they build vaults for coffins. It's obviously not a speed shop and doesn't have a lift or anything like that but they have tons of tools there and plenty of space to work. So the Sunday before memorial day the three of us went to work. It took us 7 hrs to complete everything including clean up. The reason it took so long is because of the pesky nut on the top of the strut. Both sides were rusted solid (more like fused on) and it was a pain in the a$$ to get them off. Also, the F-body Howto's on www.ls1howto.com were a big help as well.

So it went like this:
    -Eibach Pro-Kit: FREE (Thank you Molly!)
    -Koni SA Front Struts: $308 from eBay
    -Koni SA Rear Shocks: $337 including shipping from www.stranoparts.com
    -Installation: No cost (Thank you Chris & Todd, I owe both of you big time!)

I think I really made out like a bandit. As soon as I save some more cash (next year) I'll probably end up getting Strano front & rear hollow sway bars. The difference in the car's handling is night & day to say the least, it's simply awesome! Anyway, if you have read all this, then I thank you, I just wanted to share my story with the Internet community. I highly recommend getting Koni SA shocks for anyone thinking about it, they are absolutely sick!

Special thanks to:
    -Eugenio_SS (Thanks for ALL of your help through countless emails)
    -mrr23 (Thanks for your advise via email as well)
    -Sam Strano (Thanks for taking the time to call me and talk about my setup)

-Ron

Mods: Pro 5.0 shifter, CAGS, Borla Exhaust, Direct-Flo Lid, K&N Air Filter, Fast Toys Ram Air Kit, BMR STB, BMR Adjustable PHB, BMR Boxed & Welded SFCs, Metco LCAs w/ Relocation brackets, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, Koni SA Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wow, nice setup, dude.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    wow, nice setup, dude.
    Thank you.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

glad it worked out
    looks like you had fun with the bolts as i had warned you.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

I agree that the bolts on the undercarrage seem to be welded on at times.

Nice choice of set-up I bet she handles good now, congrats!

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels
    Nice choice of set-up I bet she handles good now, congrats!
    Thanks for the congrats! The car handles so much better and is even more fun to drive now. I can't wait to get some quality sway bars on that baby...just gotta keep saving and modding as I go.
    Pro 5.0 shifter, CAGS, Borla Exhaust, Direct-Flo Lid, K&N Air Filter, Fast Toys Ram Air Kit, BMR STB, BMR Adjustable PHB, BMR Boxed & Welded SFCs, Metco Boxed LCAs w/ Relocation brackets, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, Koni SA Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit.

Thread Information