Red with Silver Stripes
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Shock Problems???

OK, so for the last couple days I have been hearing what sounds like a bit of wheel rub on my passenger side rear tire in my 2002 LE Camaro. More recently, I have heard sum "thump" noises back there when I hit a bump and I seem to feel like the back end wants to wander slightly when I hit a bump in the road. Someone told me that it sounds like I may have a rear shock going bad.

I climbed under the car and I didn't see any evidence of anything broken or loose in the suspension. So, I was wondering if a bad shock might have these symptoms...as if the shock would compress but wasn't happy uncompressing.

Also, I only notice the rubbing sound when I'm corning and the "thump" only happens when I hit a bump...and not every time either.

So, my first question is...does this sound like a shock issue? If so, I assume I have to replace the rear shocks...and if they have to be replaced I probably shouldn't just put standard shocks back there. So, are there any specific manufacture of shocks that people recommend that might improve handling or general performance?

Thanks!!!

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

i would check your pan hard bar, i had a 94 z that was doing the same things especially on the bumps it felt very loose in the rear end. i climbed under there and had a freind move the rear end while i looked for the problem, i found that the pan hard bar was loose after i tightened it up problems went away

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Most likely, its a bad shock. Konis and Bilsteins are both fantastic.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Red with Silver Stripes
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Are edelbrock shocks any good? I was looking at these and they seem affordable...but I know you get what you pay for: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I don't really think I need an adjustible shock as this is just my daily driver. I would just like a nice performance shock that might ride and handle better than stock. Would this be a good choice or are the others much better?

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroDMD View Post
    Are edelbrock shocks any good? I was looking at these and they seem affordable...but I know you get what you pay for: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I don't really think I need an adjustible shock as this is just my daily driver. I would just like a nice performance shock that might ride and handle better than stock. Would this be a good choice or are the others much better?
    get koni's..there worth the money........i LOVE mine.what a smooth/tight ride they give....rears are easy as pie to install......fronts are a lil more time consuming but stil not that bad

Red with Silver Stripes
    2002 Camaro SS LE

I see the Koni's are adjustable...are they hard to adjust or is it pretty easy to get them all set up. I have never had adjustible shocks before.

Also, if I just change the back shocks to Koni's will that be OK for now or do I really need to do the front shocks as well to feel a difference?

pewter

I see the Koni's are adjustable...are they hard to adjust or is it pretty easy to get them all set up. I have never had adjustible shocks before.

Also, if I just change the back shocks to Koni's will that be OK for now or do I really need to do the front shocks as well to feel a difference?
    yes u could do JUST the back........i did my backs first and drove on them for a few weeks before i got to the fronts...when the tires break loose its incredibly easier to control the handling with rear koni's .....there very easy to adjust as well

Red with Silver Stripes
    2002 Camaro SS LE

The problem is, money is kind of tight for me right now...and it would be close to $700 to change to Koni's all around it seems like. I just bought this car so I don't have a lot of extra and I start graduate school soon. So, as much as I would like to build this thing up right now...I really can't. So, I need to find something more affordable. I was thinking about the Edelbrocks for the back but I don't know if they would be any good (and even they are a little spendy). A buddy of mine has KYB shocks on his '70 Challenger...and seems to think they are good for their price. I would like something better than I can get off the AutoZone shelf...but I can't afford to pay for a major upgrade right now. Hopefully, in a couple years I can afford to put Koni's or something like them in it.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

The one mistake I made modding my car was cheaping out on shocks. I have regretted it for a year now, but will be putting Konis in the rear within the next month. Shocks are extremely important. I would not settle for a shock because money is tight at the moment or cheap out on shocks. If at all possible, save for a little while longer and buy quality shocks. Like suggested above, I would just buy quality rear shocks for now and then do the fronts later when funds allow.

pewter

The problem is, money is kind of tight for me right now...and it would be close to $700 to change to Koni's all around it seems like. I just bought this car so I don't have a lot of extra and I start graduate school soon. So, as much as I would like to build this thing up right now...I really can't. So, I need to find something more affordable. I was thinking about the Edelbrocks for the back but I don't know if they would be any good (and even they are a little spendy). A buddy of mine has KYB shocks on his '70 Challenger...and seems to think they are good for their price. I would like something better than I can get off the AutoZone shelf...but I can't afford to pay for a major upgrade right now. Hopefully, in a couple years I can afford to put Koni's or something like them in it.
    spend the 350 on rears now and do the fronts when u can afford it..............think of shocks like this...would u rather buy a shitty tire for 100 bucks or a fantastic tire for 200 and these tires will last the life of the car no matter which u choose

Red with Silver Stripes
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Bilstein's were also suggested and I found some on summit that were about $82 each...are those the shocks that were mentioned? Are they similar to the Koni's or are the Koni's still much better?

Also, the Bilstein's come up when I search for shocks for a 2002 Camaro...but if I hit the submodel "SS" they disappear. Do the SS cars have different shocks or are all 2002 F-body rear shocks interchangeable?

Here are the Bilstein's: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Hopefully I'm not annoying you guys with all my questions...but I want to consider all my options.

Red with Silver Stripes
    2002 Camaro SS LE

OK, so I think I found the problem...and its not the shocks. So, as has been suggested on this board, other boards, and friends...it could be something lose in the suspension. I crawled under the car a couple times and checked but didn't find anything...but I only checked the passenger side because thats where the sound came from. Well, I was wriggling my way under the car a few minutes ago to check something else (being to lazy to jack the car up). I crawled under it from the driver side on my back and right into view appeared something out of place. Now, I know nothing about suspension...but I'm trying to learn...so I might get the terminology wrong here, but I believe this is a torsion bar (please correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, it was tight on the passenger side...but I didn't realize before that it was not only lose on the driver side but had fallen out of its bracket and was hanging below it. So, I shoved it back into its bracket, took a photo, and then went looking for a new bolt. I haven't test drove it yet...but I figure my problem is solved.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Thats your panhard rod and that missing bolt would be a problem

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

thats what i told u man, i had the same thing happen to me on my z, im glad you found it

Red with Silver Stripes
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Quote Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
    thats what i told u man, i had the same thing happen to me on my z, im glad you found it
    Thanks man. After you said that, I went looking under the car and did check that bar (not knowing that was the panhard bar)...but only on the passenger side. I completely missed it being lose on the other end.

pewter

haha nice pic...yes that would definitly cause some annoying noises coming from your rear suspension!!!!

Thread Information