Black
    2001 Camaro SS

SFC Install Problem

I recently got the 3 Point SLP bolt on SFC's and I have a few problems installing them. The first is that I have some damage to the underside of the car and the front subframe of the car where the SFC mounts to on the driver's side is dented up about 2-3 in. I tried to bend it down with some tools, but had no luck. Any ideas on how I could fix this?

Also, the bolt-ons come with metal bars with the threaded bolt holes drilled in that you slide up into the subframe and then thread the bolt into them. Because they have to be up in the subframe, how do you keep the smaller bar from spinning around while you try to screw the bolt in. I tried putting a tool up next to it to hold it in place, but had no luck. This is only a problem for the smaller bar with one hole. The other one for the front is larger and won't spin.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated....

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by BadSS2001 View Post
    I recently got the 3 Point SLP bolt on SFC's and I have a few problems installing them. The first is that I have some damage to the underside of the car and the front subframe of the car where the SFC mounts to on the driver's side is dented up about 2-3 in. I tried to bend it down with some tools, but had no luck. Any ideas on how I could fix this?

Also, the bolt-ons come with metal bars with the threaded bolt holes drilled in that you slide up into the subframe and then thread the bolt into them. Because they have to be up in the subframe, how do you keep the smaller bar from spinning around while you try to screw the bolt in. I tried putting a tool up next to it to hold it in place, but had no luck. This is only a problem for the smaller bar with one hole. The other one for the front is larger and won't spin.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated....

If your front subframe was damaged that badly, you might consider taking your car to a body shop that has a frame rack to see if there's other additional hidden damage. No sense in putting on SFC's if your car isn't set up properly and untwisted. SFCs should basically bolt right in without any major problems or frame mods.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

I have these SFC's, but you well want to get the car fixed and untwisted before installing the connectors. I had no problems installing mine, I did us a lift and had a extra person to help hold things.

As for the bars make sure the bars are treaded okay. I helped a friend out with his set and the one hole just needed to be retapped. He could not get the bolt to screw in, the screw would stick and the bar would spin.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Thanks guys. I think you are right about rethreading the hole for the bolt. It doesn't seem to go in very freely and binds. The subframe damage is only in that one place where part of it hangs lower than the rest. Looks like I will have to get a body shop look at it sometime soon. Might as well just pay them to install or weld on the SFC's while I'm at it I guess.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Weld them in! Problem solved.

Thread Information