Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

SFC: Different design patterns, why?

Ok, so I've decided to go ahead and do the suspension before the rear, and as I was surfing jegs and summit today, I saw some different SFCs. The BMRs were just one long rod lookin' deal and the SLP's were more of a web-shaped design if you will. I understand that the whole point of these is to stiffen up the "subframe" and prevent twisting of the chassis under heavy torque load but does anybody have any pictures of SFCs installed on their cars, bolt-ins or weld-ins? I'd like to see some SLP SFCs if anybody has any installed on their cars, so I could see the welded location points on them, if that makes any sense. I'm getting pretty serious about this build, and am trying to get as in-depth as possible to ensure making the correct purchase, and right install. Thanks for any help in advance fellas

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I can't comment on the SLP design -- I installed 2 point UMI bolt ins on our car. They are of the tubular design and fit perfectly. By the weight of the pieces, I would have to say that they are quite rigid. Forgive the crappy cell phone pics -- I forgot my camera on the day I installed them:

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Right on, why did you go bolt-in over welded-in, just curious?

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

You can always go in later and weld them in!!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Right on, why did you go bolt-in over welded-in, just curious?
    Ease of install. Plus, as noted, I can weld them at any time.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Gotcha... now that I see the pictures I can contemplate and decifer the rest. Thanks fellas!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Are you considering the 2 point or 3 point?

Sunfire Yellow
    02 Collector Edition T/A

I'm looking into SFC myself and wonder which would work best for my application which would be mostly aggressive street driving.

2 point or 3 point sfc's. Chromoly 3 point vs. boxed 2 point? Been checking out UMI and BMR stuff cause I also like to one day install either brand front K member. SLP doesn't make a K member however I'd would like to hear some info on those sfc as well.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

take a look at ky speed they are sponsors here and have the best prices and if not they will match it. i like umi stuff the best im not a fan of slp stuff. i have umi 3 point bolt on's and love them they sit nice and close to the bottom of the car

Sunfire Yellow
    02 Collector Edition T/A

01 T/A, what style of driving do you do that convince you to go with a 3 point vs. others?

white
    2000 Z28

3 pt for playing should be the consensus. more support points in the correct spots will always be stronger than fewer points. the only reason i can see to not get 3 pts is if you absolutely cannot afford it. and in that case you shouldnt be playing. im not saying 2 pts dont work but there is realy no mild play because these cars have a lot of torque. the torque wont take it easy on your car unless you dont play. my opinion, take as much info as you can get and make your decision.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LS2GTO View Post
    01 T/A, what style of driving do you do that convince you to go with a 3 point vs. others?
    i got the 3 point for i drag race about 2 times a year but you only need the 2 points for that but i do what to try and autocross some and any thing i can do to keep the car as solid as i can. over kill is a safe way to be and thats way i got the 3 points.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

The three point really limit your exhaust options and are heavier if that makes any difference to you.......

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    The three point really limit your exhaust options and are heavier if that makes any difference to you.......
    they only matter is you run tru dules but if you have a y they dont get in the way.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    they only matter is you run tru dules but if you have a y they dont get in the way.
    Depends on the duals you run, if you get that asphalt scraping texas speed setup probably. My custom 3" dual exhaust was unaffected

Sunfire Yellow
    02 Collector Edition T/A

I'm sticking with factory exhaust configuration. How much of a weight difference are we talking about? A 3 point in chromoly would probably be the best choice in terms of weight and rigidity.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

My KB 3 Point SFC's was ok as far as weight, i thought it would be alot heavier but i can lift both of the SFC's with one hand and maybe even with one finger. So i originally thought they would be very heavy but in my case it was the exact opposite they were very light. I didnt notice a huge difference with them as many people claim with SFC's. Then again my car is a hard top so maybe it didnt have as much flex, dont know. I know my 93Z hard top, after intalling a 2 point made a big difference but that could be because it was a much older car with many miles on the body. Either way i would recommend it because i felt a slight difference. Cant wait to put on some Sway bars.

black
    1998 trans am

Thanks for the kind words, UMI is on sale till the 4th of January. 10% off and free shipping to the lower 48 with purchases over $99.

thanks,

Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Red
    98 Trans Am

gotta say i like my UMI SFC. I got the two point bolt in. Definatly considering welding them in though. The freakin cold has caused the metal to shrink and now the front part of the SFC's have gotton loose and are bangn like no tomorrow. Only when i accelarate. freakin wisconsin weather. Once i get my mig gun running im zapin those dang things in place. Other than that i love my SFC.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

I have slp 3 point they are a boxed design and they are heavy I went bolt in and I am glad I did cause I will swap out the slp crap for umi 3 points

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information