Thread: SFC

Pewter
    '00 SS

SFC

This may seem a bit remedial to some but im still learning. When people refer to sfc's, is that all the support type stuff underneath, or is that just one type? I know i have a lot of stuff under my car that is to keep her sturdy but dont know exactly what or where all the things people talk about are. I bought the car as is back in 07 and have just over the past 2 years started messing with it myself. People have said that whoever had it b4 me was setting up for something big. Just dont know the underneath strengthening suspension type stuff. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

If yall are confused as to what im asking just say so. If you need me to post pictures, let me know.
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

NBM
    1999 TA A4

SFC's tie the front and rear subframes together on uni body cars like the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gen F Cars.

THe 4th gens are the stiffest of the bunch from the factory but there is always room for improvement.

Tying the Front and Rear SF's together stiffens the chassis to let the suspension do its proper job without the chassis twisting.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Is that the only thing that stiffens it up? I know the strut tower brace under the hood already. I mean underneath the car.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    Is that the only thing that stiffens it up? I know the strut tower brace under the hood already. I mean underneath the car.
    Strut Towers and Subframes are not the same thing. Don't get people here started on the Strut Tower Bar topic.

The front subframe supports the motor and trans, while the rear subframe holds the rear end and rear suspension. There is literally nothing in between where the driver sits. I can take a picture for you, but I have wrinkles in my rear quaterpanel from where the car was launched without subframe connectors. The car literally flexed and kinked the metal.

Since I now have 3-point subframe connectors, a weld-in 6-point roll cage, and drag suspension, I can jack my car up from one side on the rear/front and the entire end of the car will lift...absolutely no flex in the body of the car.
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6: 427ci LS3, Built T56, Moser 9" w/ 4.11 Gearing, Full Suspension, and 6-point Cage.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: Twincharged w/ a T67 Turbocharger
    2007 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax: 3" Downpipe, Dual 4" Exhaust, EFILive Tuning

Pewter
    '00 SS

When i get under my car i definetely have all the stuff everyone always talks about. Just dont know what piece is what (by name) and what exactly its job is.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    When i get under my car i definetely have all the stuff everyone always talks about. Just dont know what piece is what (by name) and what exactly its job is.
    Pics would help.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I will post some later when i get on my computer

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

go to the sponser area of this site and find the umi banner and click it they have good pics of the parts for are cars and that will help you out the most i think

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

better yet here is the link to the list of parts for are cars
    http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...hmj828c398d3c1

Pewter
    '00 SS

Thanks. Helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Strut Towers and Subframes are not the same thing. Don't get people here started on the Strut Tower Bar topic.

The front subframe supports the motor and trans, while the rear subframe holds the rear end and rear suspension. There is literally nothing in between where the driver sits. I can take a picture for you, but I have wrinkles in my rear quaterpanel from where the car was launched without subframe connectors. The car literally flexed and kinked the metal.

Since I now have 3-point subframe connectors, a weld-in 6-point roll cage, and drag suspension, I can jack my car up from one side on the rear/front and the entire end of the car will lift...absolutely no flex in the body of the car.
    Well said

On my one my old F-body setups I too had 3 point SFC with a roll cage. Talk about a stiffy (haha). Autocrossing was fun in that car.

Thread Information