Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Road Race setup??

I know most people set up LS1 cars for drag racing but I want to do something different. I want to set up a car for road racing and auto-crossing. Has anyone done this before? I dont know what parts would help for that type of racing and what parts are pointless and what parts would hinder me. I saw an article that LG Motorsports did a setup on 4th gen. T/A but that's all I've been able to find so far.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

well i can help you out a little..it all depends on what class you want to compete in and such...but remember...adjustable adjustable !!!! ..also some better shocks and springs are a must

Life In The Fast Lane..!! redracer1's Avatar

Brickyard 400 Trac Car#10
    35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

Befor you dump major $$ into a suspension try entering a stock class to make sure it's what you want to do. Next would be to find out all the rules/regs of each class and set up for it. As you get better and want to move up in classes you can research, purchase, install. Auto-cross has limitation to each class. When your at the track those are the guys that can also really help you out. Start with a good helmet.lol. if you dont have one

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

No, I dont have a helmet yet, lol. I'll put that down as step one. As for going stock first, I would but the car is not currently driveable. I'm currently in the process of removing my engine and was hoping to do some suspension mods while I had the car off of the ground. I know I need springs/shocks. Besides those, would stur bars and sways bars and sub-frame connectors be a good starting place?

As for what class, I want to do just some basic stuff. I'm gonna go for street-modified (I think that's what it's called) for auto-x and I dont think it really matters what I have if I do time attack as long as I have a cage or roll bar of some sort.

35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

Most are going to recommend the venerible KoniSA or KoniDA on Strano springs. Like shady said get everything adjustable so you can tweek your set up. Sway bars are a must but in some auto-cross catagories sfc & lca's aren't aloud. Might try looking at a Fay's Wattslink instead of a phb and deff a torque arm. light weight wheels and fat tires 315's just for the event. If you go with larger 315's I'd look closer at the Koni DA's as there better at damping the larger wheel & tire.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Ok. Are Strano springs better than Eibach? And I cant really afford new wheels yet, lol. From what I've found, it's gonna cost are $800 or $900 for all of the suspension stuff I was looking at. Wheels would be about $1200 or $1300 with tires. I think I'm just gonna do the springs, shocks, strut bars and sway bars, and then intake and exhaust to get out a little extra power.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    Ok. Are Strano springs better than Eibach? And I cant really afford new wheels yet, lol. From what I've found, it's gonna cost are $800 or $900 for all of the suspension stuff I was looking at. Wheels would be about $1200 or $1300 with tires. I think I'm just gonna do the springs, shocks, strut bars and sway bars, and then intake and exhaust to get out a little extra power.
    that sounds good. try to avoid the strut bar though ..until last if at all.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    that sounds good. try to avoid the strut bar though ..until last if at all.
    Is it not worth it?

98' trans am

Not really..there is some debate...but id use the money elsewhere

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Ah. Well I would think it would be worth it if you also got an engine brace (damper?) wouldnt it? Do they make engine braces for our cars?

35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

Yes Strano's are better.

Strut tower Brace(stb)
    I'd get one for sure. It's not a big performance gain compared to a lot of other mods you can do. I'd get an on car adj. phb first before the stb. You'll need it after you add the lowering springs to center the rear.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

phb? I'm not too good with the acronyms yet, lol.
    and i wasnt referring to the strut tower bar. i meant the ones that brace the engine in place and keep it from moving at w.o.t.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

phb? I'm not too good with the acronyms yet, lol.
    and i wasnt referring to the strut tower bar. i meant the ones that brace the engine in place and keep it from moving at w.o.t.
    PHB=panhard bar, its what centers the rearend under the vehicle. When you lower the stance of the car, you need the adjustable panhard bar to re-center the rearend.

Don't waste your money on a STB either.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

How good of a brand is UMI for suspension parts? I saw a good bit of their stuff on Strano's website.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

UMI makes good quality parts. Good service from what I have always read/heard about them as well.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Ok. I was looking at their sway bars because there's are alot cheaper than the Strano ones. I think I'm definitely going to go with the Strano springs and KYB AGX adjustable shocks. Does that sound like a good starting place for my suspension?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Ok. I was looking at their sway bars because there's are alot cheaper than the Strano ones. I think I'm definitely going to go with the Strano springs and KYB AGX adjustable shocks. Does that sound like a good starting place for my suspension?
    Strano springs, absolutely, KYB AGX, absolutely not. I had 4 of them on my Camaro, hated them. I have since replaced the rears for Konis, and will do the same for the fronts. They suck for normal driving, I wouldn't even want to think about having them for autoX. Shocks are the one item you should not bargain shop for. Do it right, get the best shocks you can, Konis or Sam might suggest something else for your setup since you are going to autoX. Mark my words though, if you put KYB AGX on your car and want to autoX, you are going to regret it, and kick yourself for spending $300 on KYBs, instead of putting that $300 towards more suitable shocks.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Ok. Well I only said those because Strano had a package with their springs and those shocks.

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

If your serious about wanting to get into Autocross and/or Road Racing join this forum. www.frrax.com its the F-body Road Race and Autocross forums.

Also if you dont already know, search http://scca.org/home.aspx for your local SCCA.

Do some searches on there and you'll find the setup your looking for. its a great site without all the crap...just the facts!

By the way, welcome to the club!

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by raysz28 View Post
    If your serious about wanting to get into Autocross and/or Road Racing join this forum. www.frrax.com its the F-body Road Race and Autocross forums.

Also if you dont already know, search http://scca.org/home.aspx for your local SCCA.

Do some searches on there and you'll find the setup your looking for. its a great site without all the crap...just the facts!

By the way, welcome to the club!
    Umm, thanks? May I ask what club, lol?

I've already looked up the SCCA stuff. I just am waiting to contact them until I get the car done. As for the frrax forum, I'll get on that as soon as I get the car done as well, lol. Thanks for the info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information