Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this the right move?

So, I have an 02 SS with 20k miles. It is relatively stock, but I am in the process of changing that. I have the cash for headers right now (I am doing BBK Chromes) & I already have a set of Eibach Pro-Kits & Bilsteins waiting for a warm day to go on my car. I am kinda debating holding off on the headers for now, as I should have the money again by the time I'd be ready to install them anyways, & instead doing a pan hard, LCA relocation, & LCA's now. I also know I need to do SFC's, but those will need welded & I cannot do that. My main thought here, is that the headers will sit until May anyways & I am not super sure how I am going to get those installed, the SFC's will probably need welded in & once again, I cannot do that myself, & with the rear suspension stuff I should be able to install it myself as soon as I get it. Opinions & personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You can always get bolt-on SFC's and get them welded later as well. Just another option. PHB and LCA's are really easy to install. As far as the relocation kit for the LCA's, I assume you're buying the bolt-on version?

Yeah, I forgot about bolt-in sfc's. And yes, I would get bolt-in relocation brackets. Basically, what I am wondering is, which would best for me to do first since I am lowering it. I have about $400 to spend & want to go with UMI, as I appreciate Ramey answering a few of my questions in the past.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefish View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about bolt-in sfc's. And yes, I would get bolt-in relocation brackets. Basically, what I am wondering is, which would best for me to do first since I am lowering it. I have about $400 to spend & want to go with UMI, as I appreciate Ramey answering a few of my questions in the past.
    If you don't want wheel hop you need an adjustable PHB and the LCA relocation brackets. Which would be under $400 I believe.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

So, would I be smart to do the relocation, lca's, & panhard before the sfc's? Also, are the non-adjustable versions okay? I really would prefer to not have an option to adjust, as I know I would be tinkering with the adjustable stuff non-stop & I would drive myself nuts trying to get it just right.

Black/ Silver

If you weren't lowered I would get sfc's first. You need an adjustable PHB so that you can center the rear end. Once you lower a vehicle via lowering springs it alters the suspension geometry of the vehicle. This is corrected by using LCA control arm relocation brackets and an adjustable phb. If you don't get an adjustable phb your rear end may be off center due to the change in geometry and will have wheel hop. I have an on car adjustable phb not installed yet and from what UMI has explained to me it is quite easy to adjust.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You'll get lots of different opinions on what to do... upgrading everything you have mentioned is not a bad idea. The stock suspension pieces are real flimsy and you will notice a difference -- UMI is an excellent choice. Subframe connectors, either bolt in or weld in, both work well. The bolt in version is nice as you can install it yourself and then have it welded at a later date. Just be sure that the install is completed with the weight of the vehicle on the wheels. A four post lift works great, but you can also do it with ramps under the front tires and jackstands under the rear axle. On our car, I went with non-adjustable suspension pieces as our car will never be lowered. You almost have to go with adjustable if you lower your car -- I presume the parts you have awaiting installation will result in a lower ride height.

Thanks guys. Definitely lowering the car & I guess, ordering an adjustable phb, relocation brackets, & lca's. Maybe Ramey can give me a coupon.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Good choice.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Your pinion angle will be off once you lower it so add an adjustable torque arm to your list too. An improper pinion angle will cause drive train damage over time.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Your pinion angle will be off once you lower it so add an adjustable torque arm to your list too. An improper pinion angle will cause drive train damage over time.
    Oh yeah I knew I forgot something.

Cripes! Maybe lowering isn't worth it. I wasn't really going to do it, but saw a good deal on the springs....hell, maybe I should sell them & just slap the bilsteins on. Does lowering help the ride or is it just an appearance mod?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Lowering will not help the ride, by lowering it you lose suspension travel and you will get a slightly harsher ride. It will give the car more of a sporty feel. I'm with everyone that if you have plans to lower the car a fully adjustable suspension is the way to go but if you are having second thoughts and just want to do the bilsteins and keep the stock springs you will get a much nicer ride from the car

How dire is it to get the Torque Arm? Is it a must do now thing or more of a just do it at some point soon thing?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Hard launches and shifts with a wrong pinion angle will cause rear end, u-joint and other problems. The torque arm controls the rotational position of the rear end and under load you want everything to be straight; from the beginning of the drive shaft through the rear pinion. This is why the pinion angle is set to around -2 degrees free from load. I would say it's relatively important.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Agree. After installing my 3 point SFC's, I forgot to re-adjust the pinion angle. The tunnel mount torque arm plate was moved down by around 1/4" to 3/8" and I had a noticeable "grind" in my driveline. Re-set the pinion angle and it immediately went away.

Maybe my $100 set of Eibach's weren't a good deal afterall. I never knew there was so much involved in lowering. From reading, it seems like most guys just buy the springs & some shocks & viola.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Springs/shocks were the last suspension upgrade I did. Did SFC', LCA's, TA, and the rear end first with an upgraded drive shaft. After that and then an on-car adjustable PHB installed I opted for shocks and lowering springs.

Did you do the ta relocation? This is getting expensive.....fast.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I recently installed my UMI TA and Relocation kit, it's not necessary but it's just nice to take the TA off the tail shaft of the transmission. You'd probably be fine without it, TA on the other hand i highly recommend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information