Thread: ride like crap?

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

ride like crap?

My car is not that old and only has 54k miles but it really rides like crap, the back end feels like its sitting on the rear end and the front end seems way up high, is this common for stock 4th gen f-bodys w/o-e suspension?

This is just a weekend toy but I want a good ride, not an auto crosser or a racer, just a crusier, othen than shocks what do i need to change?
    Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

The one and only thing that directly affects ride height are the springs. Sounds like you might have a problem with them. If the rear sags the springs may have lost their tempering and gone soft. The front end shouldn't sit higher than the rear! If you're considering replacing the shocks, do the springs too at the same time while every thing's out. The type of replacement springs that you choose, though, depend on what you want from your car. Better handling - use progressive rate lowering springs. Cruising? Stock ride? Then use stock factory springs. SLP modified the Firehawks - they should have replacement springs for your car.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Question Bottom out?

While taking my Sunday afternoon cruise down the coast we hit a bump about 40 mph which was a nice dip where they had dug up the asphalt and then patched it, needless to say we bottomed out hard, I don't think this is normal unless I have a broken or wrong rear spring (s)? I assume this would also account for my poor ride?

Click for full size

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    While taking my Sunday afternoon cruise down the coast we hit a bump about 40 mph which was a nice dip where they had dug up the asphalt and then patched it, needless to say we bottomed out hard, I don't think this is normal unless I have a broken or wrong rear spring (s)? I assume this would also account for my poor ride?

Click for full size
    You're pretty much correct in your assumptions: even with two occupants the car normally shouldn't have bottomed out, but I don't know how bad the patched spot was. It sounds like there's something wrong with the springs - old springs that have lost temper will bottom out, as will springs with the wrong spring rate or length. But, looking at your picture, your car appears to be at the right ride height - the rear doesn't seem to be sagging but that doesn't mean that the springs aren't marginal.

Thread Information